How long does the most mentally challenging part usually last when you quit smoking? -

Monday, December 8, 2008

How long does the most mentally challenging part usually last when you quit smoking? -


Ive heard 24 hrs,3 days and 2 weeks. I would like to hear from other peoples expereinces not on what you-ve heard. 2 more hrs will be 24hrs for me am i almost past the worst part or does it get harder?
each craving lasts only 2-3 minutes and how many cravings you have per day varies from person to person depending on how much you smoked before you quit. The key is to have a plan when the craving hits, like listening to your favorite song (that just so happens to last 3min and 22sec), or do 50 sit ups, whatever... FYI exercise is a great thing to do when quitting smoking because smoking increases your metabolism and you-ll need something else to do the same thing when you quit
it really depends on how long you smoked. i smoked for 18 years and now have been a non smoker for 9 years. the hardest part for me lasted for about 2 weeks. i had to find things to do with my hands instead of holding a cig. i used the patch to quit. are you doing it cold turkey? keep busy and know it-s ok to cry (i know that sounds funny but i remember crying out of frustration) good luck to you and good health is coming
That depends on you and how much your fixating on it right now. The more you think and worry about it the harder its going to be.
Personally I found days 3 and 4 difficult. I am a month in and after that first week I havent looked back. If possible find something else to do to take your mind off it. I started running (of all things). Good Luck and congradulations on taking the first step.
Today makes 43 days for me. Thanks you, jj lol
really it does and i still have days where I wake up and want one. the first week noone wanted to be around me and I didn-t really like myself. My doctor told me if you can go for 24 hours with out one then it is a mind over matter thing. She also said that for everything to get out if your lungs, that usually takes 3 months. So I think even if you have quit for 7 years, there still may be days that the cravings are worst then others. Stick to it! Keep your chin up! You are doing a good thing here. Good luck!
the first week...
I am on my 6th day. My worst day was day # 2, after that it gets better and better, although last night I had a hard time going to sleep. That was weird, kinda felt like I was having some sort of panic attack, but today I feel fine again. I read a book by Allan Carr and he said 3 weeks is the magic number of days til you feel free.
well I-ve been smoking for, holy sh**, 11 years, wow that-s bad. Anyway I-m sure the damadge is done now but regardless, I-ve been off the butts for a week now. I dont really have any cravings, nothing unusual is happening. I think the hardest part is not smoking when you are out drinking, this I have not overcome yet. It-s not bad at all for me at work and in the car and such but when I-m out partying I make up for the week. Something about beer and smokes is just too good (I-m gross, I know) anyway good luck quitting. It will make your skin look nicer too so there-s an added bonus I guess.
You-ll feel it for a couple weeks but dont give up you-ll feel so much better.
From personal experience, it pretty much lasts your whole lifetime. I smoked at least a pack a day for about 10 years. I quit, cold turkey. Been without for at least as long, but a day doesn-t go by when I don-t want a smoke. I just don-t. I mean, when you drink a cup of coffee, you-re gonna think, maybe just for a second or two, -boy, a smoke would go great right about now- and then you stop thinking it. The trick is to just not dwell on it. You don-t have to tell yourself that you-re not getting the urge....you simply tell yourself you-re stronger than the urge. It helps to love someone...that way, you-re doing it for someone else as well....
unfortunately forever it is a constant mind struggle to quit smoking just like any other craving usually if you quit one bad habit you will pick up another usually just as bad
How long does the most mentally challenging part usually last when you quit smoking? -