Quit Smoking - Do you necessarily put on weight? -

Saturday, December 27, 2008

Quit Smoking - Do you necessarily put on weight? -


Hi all. I-m quiting smoking now, and man is it hard! But I can manage it if I am sure of one thing - weight gain!

I-ve always heard that, when you quit smoking, you put on a LOT of weight. Is this necessarily true?

Another question is if the weight gain comes from compulsive eating or if there is anything quimical that the nicotine does to your body that makes you not gain weight. If it is compulsive eating, then we can probably stop it. If it-s quimical, then it can be a problem. Which is it?

Just so you have a context, I-m a 24 y.o. male, 5-9, 147 lbs, I workout 6-7 days a week, about 2-3 hours a day, doing cardio and weight training. I avoid fatty food, although I can eat about 20-60 grams a day of chocolate... So, what consequence could I get from the smoke stop in my weight?

Thanks.
There isn-t any proven chemical effect that prevents weight gain found in cigarettes (don-t you think the companies would market that?). The reason why people gain weight comes from two factors: 1) when someone quits smoking, their taste buds are no longer dulled and so food begins tasting much yummier, which leads to reason 2) so they begin to eat compulsively as a way to not smoke.

My suggestion--keep your hands busy. If you would normally have a cig after work, go for a walk or call a friend instead. Break the habit by begining newer, healthier ones (eating not included)! Congratulations on quitting, though! And good luck!
for me it was, something about nicoteen and curbing hunger.
do it man ! you cant have just one, or you will go back.
i successfully used the ziban program.
I replaced my cig habit with a excersise regimine.
good luck.
yea you are right when my parents tried to quit smoking they both put on weight needless to say to much stress and still smoking but then they tried a diet. but i too think its from the excessive eating trying to fill that 5-10 minute smoke break you would normally take 3-5 times a day try to find something to draw your attention for a smillar period of time bu twith your current eating habits and workout routine you should be fine.
I think that many people put on weight only because they are supplementing food for the cigs. I suggest chewing gum, or a hard candy, anything to keep endless calories away from you mouth..
well i quit smoking and i wieghed 200 pounds, now im up to 300. I dont know what to tell you.
hi if eney one want to quit smoking just call {5311123} it-s cind of a club that mack you quit smoking some haw

god luck.
Yeah, i-ve heard that too.. I quit smoking a few years ago, and like they said up there, you kinda replace the cigs with food, so you kinda replace one problem with another.. I started to get fat and then i started smoking again lol.. Poblem solved.. lol..

lmao @ d b-s answer.. I-ma give you a lil star for that.. Too funny..
ppl that try to quit smokin , need to have something that relates there hand with there mouth, yes most ppl do put on some wait.

keep in mind that the ONLY way to stop smoking is to DIE.
why fool yourself into thinking you can stop forever, enjoy life, have that cig. , your going to die at some point .
I-m 78 and still smoke 2 packs a day, all the talk about cancer , well that-s BS...
only if you start eating
Quit Smoking - Do you necessarily put on weight? -