How to help my b/f to quit smoking for good? -

Sunday, December 21, 2008

How to help my b/f to quit smoking for good? -


I-m currently dating a guy who has quit smoking before (not sure how he quit the first time) but, lately he-s been away in another state training in another state for a new job. Some people he works with and hangs out with there smokes. He called me one day to say that since he-s been around other smokers, he-s given in again to smoking....I-ve never smoked, so I don-t know how difficult it is to stop. When I try to approach him about how much it bothers me, he gets a little irritated, and says that I -don-t understand how hard it is to quit- and that he-s trying to quit....how can I help him or make suggestions to him to quit smoking for good? being around smoke makes me cough a lot anyway....I don-t want to date a man who smokes, but he-s such a sweetie and I think I-ve fallen for him. Should I just give him time to prove that he-s trying to quit, and cut him slack? HELP!
The only way a smoker can quit smoking, is if he is good and ready to quit. Pestering him about will only make it worse. If he is actively trying to quit, continue to tell him how proud you are of him, but other than that there is really nothing you can do to help.
If you don-t want to date a smoker than you should seriously consider breaking up with him, though. What if he never quits? Only stay with him if you are sure that you wouldn-t mind living the rest of your life with a smoker. If you wouldn-t mind your children being raised with cigarettes in the environment. I-m not saying that staying with a smoker if an awful thing, but it all has to be taken into consideration.
It is always tempting when you around smokers and you are the odd one out. I know from my own experience, I had been smoking for 20 years until I stopped (Wife kept nagging :p)

You can visit my blog for more information on how to quit smoking. Maybe you will pick up some ideas and learn more about addictions.

Hope I helped,

Chris
There-s some very good strategies for coping with other smokers when someone is trying to quit. Go to, or ask your b/f to have a look at
http://www.quitguide.com


Also at that website is a great page called: How to help someone quit smoking. You-ll get a ton of ideas there. Good luck, sounds like he-s worth it.
I kinda have the same problem. I have been dating a girl for about a month.. met online and first thing i said was -if you smoke, don-t bother to contact me- problem is she only smokes a cigarette when she drinks. Just one but every time she drinks.
I confronted her and told her exactly how I felt. How much it grossed me out and how disappointed I am in people that smoke. She got defensive and i reminded her that she can do whatever she wants but I will always have an opinion and will state my opinion openly with her. I think by being truthful and blunt and explain how much it upsets you (gott say it everytime they smoke) be obnoxious, annoy them, and give incentives, like when you quit smoking I will make you a nice dinner. Hope this helps
How to help my b/f to quit smoking for good? -