What is the best way to quit smoking cigarettes ? -

Saturday, July 16, 2011

What is the best way to quit smoking cigarettes ? -


Go to jail.
Can-t smoke in jail.
-rj
I heard an expert on the radio talking about quitting smoking, and his suggestion was to quit cold turkey, believe it or not. He said to not even bother weening yourself, because that is a means by which you can justify -just one more-, because if you allow for one... then why not two?
Other suggestions I heard were:
- Keep a -jar of shame- with you at all times and wear it around your neck for people to see. When you have a cigarette, put your cigarette butt in the jar.
- Throw away all of your smoking paraphernalia (ashtrays, lighters, etc.).
- Clean out your car / smoking area and make it smell nice - clean.
I quit 5 yrs ago, I had pneumonia and it was painful to smoke, so I bought a pipe and tobacco, whenever the urge struck I lit up the pipe but, didn-t inhale then progressed to cigars but still didn-t inhale, whenever you have the anxiety to smoke light up a stogie you will fullfill your urge and habit by lighting something and puffing but don-t follow through with the inhalation. It worked for me, but I never did like the taste of cigars or could stand inhaling them.

I smoked for 27 yrs. and smoked about 2.5 packs per day when I quit, if you try my method don-t even touch a cigarette you wont be able to put them down and you will not quit!

Good luck!
Cold turkey.
Or, if you can-t do that, whenever you crave nicotine, have a piece of hard candy or gum.
Then, you-ll be replacing the craving with a craving for candy, which is much easier to wean yourself off of.
The best way to quit smoking is the one that works for you. For some people that-s cold turkey, for others it-s the patch, gum or lozenges, for others it-s Zyban or Wellbutrin and for still others it-s Chanitx.

Check out Quit Assist,
http://www.philipmorrisusa.com/en/quitas…
It has information about all these methods and more.

Check out
http://familydoctor.org/online/famdocen/…
which has a quiz to determine what motivates you to smoke and what you can do to deal with it.

Join a support group. Yahoo has 3 groups for smoking cessation.

Good luck to you!!!
quit buying and/or bumming them!
cold turkey was the best for me. You just have to decide you arent a smoker anymore. Believe me, you will be SO GLAD that you quit. It takes a good month or so before the monkey leaves you alone, but he will eventualy leave for good. I started buying sunflower seeds, instead of ciggarettes, so I still had the hand/mouth thing, and every time I wanted one, I just had the seeds instead. It helped me a lot.
Personaly, I think more people are succesful quitting cold turkey, than by using a patch or gum. My freind had quit for 3 months on the patch, then stopped using them, and started smoking again. He lies to himself and says He ENJOYS smoking too much to quit. What is enjoyable about smoking?, IT SUCKS and makes a person feel like crap! Just Quit! you will be glad you did. Its really not fashionable any more and everybody knows how terrible it is for you.
that is a personal question.

but, i suggest cold turkey.
don-t fool your self just quit and stop worrying about it.
you have plenty of self control

worked for me. but i only quit after 2 years of heavy smoking.
so i can-t say if the equation is that much diffrent if you been smoking for a longer period of time.
you sure as hell can smoke in jail!! That-s what we gamble with...

best way to quit is to place a cigarette burn on your arm to keep track of your failures.
I quit cold turkey. Some of my friends have used the patches or nicorette. I only know one person who used zyban. Do a little research to figure out which method suits you best. You can always talk it over with your doctor. Be warned, you have to have a lot of willpower and be completely into quitting, or it isn-t going to last.
When I quit smoking,after trying numerous times and failing;
I quit cold turkey.
Began a walking routine 3 to 4 times a week.
I walked an hour[ 3 miles]
I also had obtained some motivational tapes [CD-s} to help with the cravings.
I used the tape in the car,too on my drive to and from work.
I surrounded myself with people who supported me and knew the struggle I was going through.
After 3 weeks the craving had lessened considerably.
Good luck.
And remember a smoker will quit an average of 4 to 6 times before being successful.
- Branched Chain Amino Acids.
leucine, iso leucine, and valine.

They will promote the formation, of the brains natural opioids.

( do a search on The Bliss Molecule. )

Anandamide

( Peanut Butter, and Jelly )
Perhaps a search for -quit smoking naturally- might be useful.
I used the Patch when I quit and it really took the edge of.
Some tips for you:
1. Sip water from a water bottle whenever you have a craving.
2. Remember that a craving only lasts up to 2 minutes... you can get through that.
3. Keep little zip lock bags ready and with you with cut up vegtables/fruit to snack on so that you dont gain weight. Smoking decreases your appetite so when you quit, it will go up.
4. Try the patch or gum. You dont need to suffer when you quit.

Lastly I-m going to pass along a site that I used when I quit. Take the time to check it out. It has tips, advice, forums, support... all free. I logged in daily and when I was having a rough moment. It saved me big time.


http://www.quitnet.com


Good luck!
What is the best way to quit smoking cigarettes ? -