What is the best way to quit smoking? -

Monday, July 11, 2011

What is the best way to quit smoking? -


cold water and cold turkey don-t work for me.
Uhmm ... the very best way is to really, really, want to quit smoking. I tried (7x) over a 10 yr. period and realized,
the reason why, each time didn-t work, was because
I wasn-t totally convinced that I wanted to quit or that
I could see myself as a Non-smoker. I tried Hypnotherapy,
(very costly) and only lasted 6 months smoke-free. I tried
the Life Sign (2x) and each time, eventually, went back to
smoking. I also tried cutting down, but eventually started
smoking more than I originally did because I was getting
stressed out over having less nicotine in my system. I tried the patch, didn-t work, however, it has worked for other
people, quite well. Then, I also tried cold turkey and thought I
might cause -bodily harm- to people, so my husband said I
should just keep smoking. Then ... when I thought I was a
-goner- and would never be able to do it ... one cold, rainy
day in March, after 10:00 p.m. while my hubby and the kids
were sound asleep on the couch in the livingroom ... I found
myself out of cigarettes ... it was pretty tense, and I had to
decide, do I walk to the depanneur in the cold and rain or do I
tough it out till tomorrow morning and start the Nicorette
gums (I had bought 2 weeks before) and still hadn-t had the
guts to try. I went to bed early, that night, and when I woke up
I tried the Nicorette-s ... I thought I was going to puke! They
were horrible, back then, and I didn-t chew them the right
way! Very important to follow the instructions and do it the
right way!! Well, at first I didn-t feel anything different and still was dying to have a smoke but as the days and weeks wore
on ... it did seem to get easier to handle and I thought this just
might work! I ended up buying and chewing on the gums for
about 18 months. You are not supposed to chew them for
that long, but you know what? the Pharmacist told me that
chewing the gum was better for my health and the health of
my kids than smoking cigarettes. He was right. It has now
been almost 10 yrs. and I can say I do feel better, I do have
less severe colds, (when I get one). I can breathe better than I
could in years and my hubby loves kissing me, much more,
-smoke-free- and the kids like it too! It-s very difficult, in the beginning, like all new things are, don-t kid yourself. But if you
are really ready to make the change for yourself and your
health and for your loved ones, then GO FOR IT! you have nothing to LOSE ... AND EVERYTHING TO GAIN!

Some things to remember: - if you are a coffee or tea
person ... you may need to find another hot (non-caffeinated)
beverage to drink for a while, because the caffeine will give
you the urge to have a cigarette (temporarily). Drink lots of
orange juice, in the beginning, and take lots of Vitamin C. It
seems to help with the urges and the withdrawal symptoms.
Also, if you like to drink alcohol or go out drinking with your
friends it may be difficult to fight the urge to have a smoke.
So, just for a couple of weeks, you need to not consume any
alcohol. And ... of course, the other hardest thing will be those
cigarettes that you used to have at certain times of day, or
with certain functions that you do everyday. So, you need to
occupy your fingers with something else, to take your mind
off the urge, until it passes and then you will be fine, again,
and as time goes by, you will notice that each urge will
become further and further apart, until the urges will,
eventually, go away completely.
GOOD LUCK! BELIEVE IN YOURSELF ... YOU CAN DO IT!
Try chickweed tea. It aids in supressing the craving.
I think ,the best way to quit smoking is that u want to quit it.
What I did was take it down, little by little. Cold turkey didn-t work for me either. So, eventually I was having only 2 or 3 per day. I maintained there for the longest time. After that, the only next possible step was to stop, so one day, I finished a pack, threw it away, and said -never again.- I try not to hang out with people who smoke. I live in a city wish a public smoking ban, so it makes it easy too. Every now and then I-ll get so tempted, but I tell myself that all that hard work would have been for nothing, and that all this time away from cigarettes would be a massive failure. It works for me. I also keep myself distracted when the urges come along. Its way better now. It does get easier.
You can find stacks of recommended strategies and advice in a search for -quit smoking- in the Search for questions slot.

If you ever get to the desperation stage where everything you tried failed then as a last resort you could join a Quit Smoking Clinic and hopefully that will work.
make a decision no more smoking or no more(something else you like, maybe sex or something). if you force yourself to make that decision and stick to it. make sure the choice is something that you love to do or love much more than smoking itself. if there is nothing better than smoking, in your opinion, then i suggest exploring life a little more, learning new hobbies and stuff, and once you find one you like better than smokeing then you will be able to quit that way. if you dont like this technique, you can always look up online what whoopie goldburg is doing to quit smoking, she is pretty smart, and i believe she has some good websites/links to help.
What is the best way to quit smoking? -