OK weight gain is almost inevitable after you quit smoking.If I use nicotine patches will it help? -

Thursday, May 19, 2016

OK weight gain is almost inevitable after you quit smoking.If I use nicotine patches will it help? -


I know that if you don-t cut down calorie intake or increase exercise level you gain weight when you quit smoking. If I use nicotine patches at least for a while, will they increase my metabolism rate and and avoid weight gain?
Don-t worry, any weight gain should normally be only temporary, and it was in my case (many years ago), and I was underweight anyway. Metabolism will adjust accordingly. My doctor told me years ago that your brain decides that your body can make its own nicotine from the consumption of sugar, which is why you will more than likely suddenly desire sweet things after you stop the smoking or nicotine patches. Being aware of this and controlling that urge to buy sweets, lollies and sweet drinks and you should be fine weight wise. Note also that most low-fat foods these days are actually high sugar, but they don-t like to tell you that. Good on you for having a go at giving up - It can be done.
They will. But you have to come off nicotine at some point. There are other things that increase your metabolism like green tea and turmeric. Look to increase you intake of those and hopefully it should be cancelled out.

Good luck in quitting smoking - it-s a ******.

EDIT - Weight gain doesn-t just happen because you eat more - smoking raises your metabolism so you do gain weight, even if you dont eat any more that you did before. You have the right idea of decreasing intake or increasing exercise.
also one of the common reason why people tend to gain weight is that after smoking is left, they need some sort of stimulant , in more than many cases they find it in eating,i am not saying its- a eating disorder, but definitely should be given a thought.


you shoudl try to find your replacement stimulant in exercise
You don-t necessarily need to increase your exercise level or cut down your calorie intake - you just should watch that you don-t *increase* your food intake since a lot of people tend to replace their smoking habit with eating. My understanding is that-s how the weight gain happens.
I don-t think the patch does anything for your metabolism rate, but perhaps someone else knows better than me.
Your metabolism has nothing to do with smoking, as their are plenty of over weight smokers in the world, making their own health issues more of a risk for themselves. I believe personally the weight gain is all mental. The patches i have no personal experiance with although unfortunatly I have been a faithfull smoker for...well more years than i like to admit. I have tried to quit several times and the eating more occures from the mental habbit of constantly having that cigg. in my hand and mouth u kno. I watched my own sister, smoker of over 20yrs say - I am done smoking-! and mean it. She must have baught 5-6 of those big holloween sized bags of the minty life savers a month. And every time she had a craving, she would pop one of those. Her purse and pockets were constantly filled with them, and even had one after every meal in place of that smoke break. Amazingly enough, she never gained any weight. Very admireable, and I was a jelouse sister indeed of her strength and will power. Now OVER 5yrs later, she is still a -non-smoker-. Very proud of her, and believe any one else can do the same. Nicotene in my opinion is the MOST addictive, and one of the hardest habbits to break.
Good luck, and God bless! If you do try the patches, pls let us know how that works out for you!
Ask your doctor!
Check with American Cancer Society and the Lung Association!
better talk to you doc.
OK weight gain is almost inevitable after you quit smoking.If I use nicotine patches will it help? -