Trying to quit smoking...Anyone ever used the patch, gum, etc.? Do they work? Am afraid of gaining weight.? -

Saturday, June 10, 2017

Trying to quit smoking...Anyone ever used the patch, gum, etc.? Do they work? Am afraid of gaining weight.? -


Why do people have weight gain when they quit? I have tried to quit several times, and have not been able to for more than a few days. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am astmatic and know it is bad for me to be smoking, but it is so hard to stop.
I have used both the patch and the gum. They both work, but I like the patch best. The reason I like it better than the gum is for the same reason you tend to gain weight.

Tobacco use is an oral gratification event as well as a chemical response. Putting the thing (cigarrette, chewing tobacco etc) in your mouth is part of the ritual. When you stop doing it, it helps break the cycle that way. However, you might take to putting other things there (e.g. food). There-s also the chemical thing...nicotine is a stimulant, tends to curb hunger.

The patch is a non-ritualistic method. Put it on, that-s it...the gum has its own little ritual of getting it and chewing it. I would recommend the patch.

Try to exercise more too while attempting the quit. Helps with the withdrawl symptoms (if you get them) and also helps you replace bad habits with better ones. If you can get hooked on the exercise instead, all the better.

While you are doing this, try to avoid ALL things you did when you would smoke. Don-t drink, don-t go to bars or smoking sections of restaraunts, don-t hang out with friends that smoke a lot...at least for the first month. Don-t avoid it entirely but don-t do them regularly.

Good luck, I hope you make it out!
If your going to quit make sure you have HEALTHY snacks around. You-re only going to gain weight if you eat junk food. Just watch what you-re eating...I know you-ll have the -oral fixation- going on. Also, take up some hobbies to keep you occupied. For example: Knitting, quilting, scrap-booking, misc. crafts, etc... The gum is somewhat helpful, but I always caved in! Never tried the patch yet. I know people who have and they have been successful, some not. It-s all on will power pretty much.

Good luck!
Chefed#1
1 second ago



When I was a teen ,I wanted to fit in and be cool.
Television ads were Rampant back then.The ads even implied it made you look sexy,relieved tension ,and tasted good.
Well it took 33 years to KICK the habit .I did hypnotism ,gums ,cold turkey and Nic o ban .The latter tasted awful. I finally asked my doctor and she gave me Zy-ban ,I made up my mind to quit.The last cigarette was on June 23rd 1998.I Will Not Go Back. I am PROUD of ME.

Source(s):

My LIFE and EXPERIENCES.
Well, then don-t quit. Even with healthy snacks you-ll probably chow down enough to stop the cravings. But think about it, after a month or so, the cravings should be dulled to a dim thought and you can hit the gym extra hard. And breathe clean as an added bonus!
SMOKING IS THE HARDEST THING TO QUIT!!! GOOD LUCK!! BUT FOR ME THE FAMILY WAS THE BEST SUPPORT! AND THE GUM IS GREAT!! BEST WISHES!!! PS- I DIDNT GAIN ANY WEIGHT!!
Why the gain? B/c they are accostomed to having something in their mouth, so if it isn-t a cig it is some sort of food... and often it is a sweet treat.

I know of some who have tried the laser therapy with good and bad results.

I know of some who have tried the hypnosis route, but few with good results.

Gum and patch can work.

You should make an appointment with your doctor and see what he/she suggests.

For some cold turkey works, for others reduction (smoking 1 less per day until you are not smoking anymore) works better.
Using the patch or gum helps with the physical cravings. Remember that the physical addiction only lasts 3-4 days, after that it is all mental addiction. Best things to do when quitting: Stop on a weekend. Gives you time to adjust before having to concentrate. Eliminate patterns where you used to smoke. Smoke with coffee? then switch to tea for a while. If you usually smoke in one room or one chair, avoid that place for a while. Also remember a craving lasts only about 5 minutes. If you can make it past that 5 minutes, you will feel better.
Most people gain weight, because nicotine causes the intestines to absorb less nutrients and calories. Traditionally, people will gain weight the first 3 months, but then the weight tends to recede some.
good Luck!
I-ve heard that if you like to drink water that every time you crave one drink a glass actually even better if you don-t like water that way you-d get sick of drinking it. That is what a read in a paper on a class they was having.
Good luck to you . I quit 3 years ago and I used the patch and pill at the same time . One is for nerves and the patch is of course nicotine . I am doing well now but not a day goes by that I don-t crave one . You can do it if I can
Good luck
I-m 38 and quit smoking 8 years ago. I did go on the patch for two months (i.e. two different levels/strengths of Nicoderm patches). Didn-t try the last and third month. Only reason I did try the patch was that I got them for free through a hospital.
Best advice I got was to fix a date a month away. Then until that date to keep changing the brand every week to progressively lesser tar/nicotine cigarettes, without increasing the number of cigarettes or the manner of smoking. This helps in breaking the auto smoking action and consciously prepares you every time you light up. The first few days are the hardest. The patch will only help with the physical craving part, its the other small things that are difficult too. Hope I-m making sense. Best of luck.
people(women gain normally about five punds when they quit. Its because you dont get rid of the habbit, you just replace it with another, there for some people eat. Or chew gum, mints...i-ll quit with you. Its just so unheathly
I QUIT 10 YEARS AGO. I HAD SMOKED OVER 20 YEARS. I USED THE GUM AND IT HELPED ME ALOT. IT WAS FAR FROM EASY BUT THE GUM REALLY HELPED ME THROUGH THE ROUGH TIMES DON-T WORRY ABOUT PUTTING ON SOME WEIGHT ONCE YOU ARE COMFORTABLE NOT SMOKING YOU CAN TAKE THE WEIGHT OFF AND YOU WILL FEEL SO MUCH BETTER. AFTER 3 MONTHS I NEVER EVEN THOUGHT ABOUT SMOKING. LOTS OF LUCK!!!
dont quit
you should start with gum. the healthy snax is a good idea. smoking with asthma is nutz... do yourself a favor and quit.
Trying to quit smoking...Anyone ever used the patch, gum, etc.? Do they work? Am afraid of gaining weight.? -