I quit smoking 4 months ago and my allergies seem to be going crazy.....? -

Monday, June 13, 2005

I quit smoking 4 months ago and my allergies seem to be going crazy.....? -


its been 4 months and my allergies are going crazy... I feel that its worse now than when i was smoking....Has anyone else experienced this? and dont worry im never going to consider smoking again.... smoking sucks and I never want to be a slave to the cigarette again.... oh an if you do have an allergy problem do you use zyrtec or claritin? I am currently using claritin but i dont think its working anymore. please share your thoughts....
Congrats on 4 months cig free!!!!!!!!!!!!! You don-t mention the things to which you are allergic. If you have seasonal rhinitis, then of course it is worse now than 4 months ago because there is more pollen in the air.
Allergy is a chronic condition (that means it can be controlled but not cured). It is caused by a defect in the immune system whereby benign proteins are mis-identifed an evil enemy invaders starting a chain reaction that begins with the production of human immunoglobulin E, which in turn gets the mast cells all excited and they begin to produce histamine which is the crud that ends up making you feel so bad. Allergy control is three pronged avoidance, immunotherapy, and lastly medication. You can-t begin control until you identify the proteins that cause problems. This is where a visit to the allergist or immunologist comes in (use those savings from not buying the cigs to underwrite this visit). This trained professional can do either a skin or blood test to identify your triggers. Then, once you know what they are you can work on your avoidance plan. If your triggers can be controlled with immunotherapy, then you might go down that path. The last resort is medication...and that seems to be where you are starting. I-d suggest you back up two steps (or three if you haven-t been properly tested yet) if you want real relief. I have lived with severe allergies for most of my 40+ years. Once I got serious about control.....I found I was able to live symptom and medication free almost all the time. Congrats again on kicking the cigs....I also did that years ago and know that in the long run it has made my body healthier.
Hi
I also quit smoking 1 year ago last April
I have had so much problems with my sinuses! Pain and pressure, stuffiness, etc. I think it-s a result of having smoked for so long, and our bodies are also trying to clean themselves out
I use Nasonex, and I consider all my sinus problems a result of smoking
I quit for 2 months and was sick the whole time. I started smoking again and have not been sick since. My mother smoked through her pregnancy so I was basically raised on nicotine. I feel better when I smoke.

Probably not the answer you are looking for.
I quit smoking 4 months ago also, and I am *definitely* noticing a big increase in my seasonal allergies. I haven-t been taking anything for the allergies, so I can-t advise you there.
I quit smoking 4 months ago and my allergies seem to be going crazy.....? -