How long after quitting smoking does weight gain take place? -

Sunday, September 11, 2005

How long after quitting smoking does weight gain take place? -


I quit smoking 6 months ago and have not really gained any new weight. I work out regularly and eat well, which isn-t different from my lifestyle when I was a smoker, so I was [nervously] awaiting weight gain since I haven-t changed my routine. I hear that most people who quit will gain some weight b/c of decreased metabolism, eating more, etc. but I-m hoping that I-m one of those people who don-t! If I was to gain weight, wouldn-t I have by now?
First of all, congratulation!!! It-s a difficult addiction to break.

Since you haven-t experienced any weight gain yet, you probably won-t. There are a couple things that usually cause weight gain -
1. Nicotine withdrawl give some of the same feelings as being hungry so often people will eat to satisfy that -hunger-.
2. There is a repititive hand-to-mouth action associated with smoking and continuing that action using food often satisfies that action.

After 6 months, while you may still have psychological cravings for a cigarette at times, the nicotine addiction should be gone. Keep doing what you-re doing and you-ll be fine.
Within days if you eat food everytime you wanted a cigarette. I don-t think everyone has this problem. Most people crave cigarettee-s after a meal, and so they tend to shy away from eating to avoid it until they are really hungry.
you dont always gain weight. if you were going to you would have already. thats usually just for people that stuff their faces with food rather than smoking. congratulations on your feat. be proud.
How long after quitting smoking does weight gain take place? -