I have been taking Lexapro for 5months for anxiety. I want to quit smoking so doctor has me taking wellbutrin? -

Monday, June 12, 2006

I have been taking Lexapro for 5months for anxiety. I want to quit smoking so doctor has me taking wellbutrin? -


He said Wellbutrin can help increase sex drive and help people lose weight which I need to. I-ve never been on two antidepressants at the same time. Has anyone been on these two meds at the same time and what were the side effects and did help with losing weight quit smoking,increase sex drive? Any feedback would be appreciated-
Doctors often combine an SSR! (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor) with Wellbutrin. My doctor did it because he wanted to switch drugs, and wanted an overlap period, because most SSRI-s have to be withdrawn slowly or you get withdrawal symptoms.

I looked up the technical labeling for Lexapro, and it doesn-t recommend against combining with Wellbutrin.

SSRI-s are known to cause problems with sex drive and ability to achieve orgasm--in some people. Wellbutrin does not have this side effect, so doctors often switch people who have these side effects to Wellbutrin.

BUT!

Wellbutrin may or may no treat the sexual side effect you get from the SSRI. it hasn-t been studied much, but in one small study with 47 patients, 66% of them had improvement.

As for smoking and weight loss, I know a bunch of folks who quit smoking on Wellbutrin, but I know even more who failed. And most people don-t lose much weight with it, either, but it might make it easier to avoid temptations.
I have been on wellbutrin for about 3-4 months after a few antidepressants and I like it best. I already quit smoking 11 years ago but have heard it helps. It does suppress your appetite and for me it brought back the sex drive finally my poor hubby really suffered needless to say he is a happy camper now LOL
If you are male...be very concerned about impotence (#1 side effect). You may have astronger sex drive, but it will be even more frustrating if you can-t perform. Everyone reacts differently to meds and their combinations. It is trial and error.
Wellbutrin didn-t help me to lose weight, but it did make cigarettes taste just awful! I was put on Wellbutrin for depression, not smoking cessation.

Apparently, i wasn-t ready to quit smoking, because i continued smoking while on Wellbutrin.

I can-t remember any bad side effects from Wellbutrin, at all.

Good luck!
NEVER BEEN ON LEXPRO BUT WELBUTRIN IS GOOD. IT HELPS QUIT EASIER, WEIGHT LOSS IS SLOW BUT HAPPENS I GUESS, AND AS FOR SEX DRIVE, NO SUCH LUCK. UNLESS YOU COUNT A GIRL WHO LIKED SEX STARING TO TAKE THEM AND NOT LIKING IT WHILE ON THEM THATS THE ONLY EFFECT I HAD, I HAD NO LUCK ON ICREASED SEX DRIVE IT JUST DECREASED. I STOPPED TAKING THEM FOR THAT REASON ALONE! I PREFER CHANTIX TO QUIT SMOKING IT WORKS GREAT ONLY SIDE EFFECT I HAD WAS IN THE BEGINING IT MADE ME A LITTLE SICK TO MY STOMACH.
I-ve not been on both, but I was on Lexapro, which causes a severe -decrease- in libido. And feeling better made me want to exercise more, which led to me losing weight. You could try looking up -Wellbutrin and Lexapro drug interactions- on google or your search engine of choice.
yes i am on wellbutrin and lexapro. i have been on them for about three years and i still smoke and have not lost any weight.
my sex drive is strong though! of course it always has been, lol.
Wellbutrion will allegedly help you with smoking although I-ve never known anyone who was successful with it. Try the nicotine inhaler....it-s by rx only and in the US it-s about $160 for 168 of them and depending on your -addiction- you might use 10/day.....They were/are very helpful for me and you can do something with your HANDS like smoking a cig...not just taking a pill that will cause you sides. Good luck no matter what choice you made.
I have been taking Lexapro for 5months for anxiety. I want to quit smoking so doctor has me taking wellbutrin? -