What is the best way to quit smoking cigarettes? -

Thursday, June 21, 2007

What is the best way to quit smoking cigarettes? -


I have been smoking for about 6 years.

I-ve tried using nicorette gum, gradually cutting back, and cold turkey, but nothing seems to work.

How did you quit smoking what worked for you?
Hi Robert..

congrats on your decision to quit.. as your finding out, its seldom easy..I smoked for over 40 years, and tried most of the methods available.. i tried the patches, pills, and various, and sundry concoctions, from health food stores.. in fact the last 5 years of my smoking, was simply one failed quit after another..

the good news of course, is that i did in fact find a method that worked for me, otherwise i wouldn-t be typing this reply.. i have been quit now for over 5 years because i quit trying to do it alone.. i joined a support group, and just didn-t quit quitting..

I am a member of Nicotine Anonymous and attend meetings both locally, and on line... on line meetings are as close as your computer, and you can attend meetings before actually attempting a quit.. good luck, however you decide to proceed, there is simply no wrong way to quit..

Nicotine Anonymous is a Non-Profit 12 Step Fellowship of men and women helping each other live nicotine-free lives. Nicotine Anonymous welcomes all those seeking freedom from nicotine addiction, including those using cessation programs and nicotine withdrawal aids. The primary purpose of Nicotine Anonymous is to help all those who would like to cease using tobacco and nicotine products in any form. The Fellowship offers group support and recovery using the 12 Steps as adapted from Alcoholics Anonymous to achieve abstinence from nicotine.


Source(s):
check out this site for more info, as well as local meetings

http://www.nicotine-anonymous.org/


check out this site for several daily online voice meetings

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/voi…

I recommend cutting down gradually until your quit date. I did this. I cut down to half a pack. I did this for three months. I smoked by the puff, not by the cigarette. I took only the amount of nicotine that was necessary to satisfy my urge to smoke and put the rest of the cigarette out.

After doing this for three months I quit cold turkey.

Now I-m eating more candy to distract me but its been 8 months. I have urges but they don-t last more than a second or two. If they-re lasting more than that then you-re concentrating on the cigarette. Don-t do it. Concentrate on something else.
I quit a month ago after smoking 25 years and haven-t looked back. Truth is all smokers want to quit. What holds most people back is fear and brainwashing. We have all been told so many times how hard it is to quit...it-s a lie...it is easy to quit smoking. We quit every night for 8-10 hours while we sleep with no ill effects. Nicotine is addictive yes, but withdrawal from Nicotine feels no more uncomfortable then a little tug in your stomach (sorta like I-m hungry). We -think- we need cigarettes because Nicotine in our systems only lasts 5-10 minutes, so every 5 minutes or so we get this little pang (that last for about 10 seconds) that says -go have a smoke- but that is because nicotine is not very strong drug, and it-s effect does not last very long in the body. You need to stand up to this weak drug and say to yourself NO! I-m breaking the chain...F/U addiction, I-m bigger than this and will not smoke again. Don-t be angry or depressed or think you have given up anything....you haven-t. In fact you will be gaining so much by not smoking....money, health, freedom. Smile when you get those pangs and know that the nicotine monster inside you is dying every time you resist an urge to fall back into that 5 minute smoking addiction (it is a deadly trap). You are free as soon as you stop. Don-t be afraid, just stop and laugh about how silly you were and sorry you feel for those still trapped by this 5 minute fix...it ain-t worth it.
I quit cold turkey and as hard as it was and sometimes i still want one, but it was well worth it!! I write a ehow article on how I did it if you want to read it.


http://www.ehow.com/how_5041424_quit-smo…

Go for the Nicotine Patches. Those help you quit by supplying the right amount of the drug so that you slowly ween off of it. I hope this helps you out! Good luck with quitting, its hard but its possible...don-t give up.
You need to have very strong will power to quit smoking. Just stop it. It won-t be so easy but u have to try....
best o luck.... (-,)
hypnotism
What is the best way to quit smoking cigarettes? -