How long before an outpatient surgery is performed should one quit smoking? -

Monday, June 8, 2009

How long before an outpatient surgery is performed should one quit smoking? -


I have heard estimates from three weeks to three days. What have you been told?

And, please, no smug advice about how one should stop altogether; we already *know* that.
Funny question. I am out the door in about 15 min to go to the hospital for back surgery. I am a smoker, but I plan to quit during my stay there. But, to answer your question, it-s only 24 hours prior to your surgery. That-s what the admissions nurse told me and that is what is on my pre-surgical instructions. And I am going to be under general anesthesia (totally out), for at least an hour.
Also, you cant have any alchohol for 24 hrs. And you cant eat or drink after midnight the night before. (I-m pretty hungry)
In 3month before surgery
I was told 24 hours for my last surgery!
How long before an outpatient surgery is performed should one quit smoking? -