Does anyone have any suggestions on the best way to help me quit smoking? -

Sunday, June 7, 2009

Does anyone have any suggestions on the best way to help me quit smoking? -


I have a hard time discipling myself and I-m exposed to smoking at work and my hubby also smokes.... HELP
It is going to be almost impossible for you to quit if you are subjected to a husband that smokes and you work with people that smoke. What kind of job do you have that you can smoke?!

First of all I hope he does not smoke in the house. You need to clear your house of the smoke. That means BIG cleaning. You need to clean from top to bottom. Scrub everything, including furniture. I even replaced my window coverings. Wash all blankets, etc. AFTER I quit I pulled out some sheets from the bottom of the pile and I could smell cigarette smoke on them.....
It is an emormous job but you have to do it.

Then you need to meet me......I am on oxygen 24/7. I can no longer work. I am on total disability. I am on loads of daily pills and inhalers. Without them I would die. I can no longer do anything in my life that I enjoy. I can-t even pull weeds out of my garden. I am only 60 years old. I have to do daily breathing exercises to breathe even tho I am on oxygen. It is a major, major ordeal to take a shower. Think of the movements you go thru when you shower. That is almost impossible for a person with emphysema. It takes an hour to prepare for it.

I am sure this is falling on deaf ears, so to speak. But in years to come, think of me and what I told you. My life isn-t too good right now and every day becomes more and more difficult. And all of it caused by the fact that I enjoyed smoking so much and didn-t want to quit. I try to look at the bright side of smoking now. I could have lung cancer, which would be worse than what I do have.
Go see your family doctor and tell him you want to quit smoking and he will probably put you on a stop smoking program and give you a prescription for Wellbutrin or Chantix or something else to take short term until you totally quit.
N S, I did the same thing and I can feel your frustration. I was prescribed Wellbutrin even though I-m quite a happy person, and it actually made me depressed. Couldn-t take it anymore. Here-s what finally helped both me and my husband quit. Maybe it can help you too.

First, go to your doctor and ask for a prescription for the Nicotrol inhalers. Even if you don-t smoke menthol, ask for it. We found it worked better than the regular. Also, buy some nicorette gum or lozenges for use when you would rather not use the inhaler. You-re not ready to try to quit just yet. This is step one.

In a notepad, make a list of reasons why you should continue to smoke. List everything good about smoking. Next to that, make a list of reasons why you-d like to quit. You-ll find that list getting very long.
Then visit forums and websites for people who are trying to quit or have quit. Get tips and encouragement from them. Write down everything that you think might help. Do this for anywhere from one week to a month. Don-t attempt to quit during this time. All you-re doing is building up the motivation to quit.

Once you-ve got everything ready, and you-re feeling the motivation, it-s just a matter of choosing a date. The Nicotrol inhalers will help you with the hand-to-mouth part of the habit and will also greatly reduce the nicotine withdrawal. Some people strongly believe that you should not use (nicotine replacement therapy) NRT, but I say if it works, do it. And it worked for me and my husband. I-m smoke-free since June -06, after more than 25 years of 2+ packs per day.

The biggest thing is motivation. Do whatever it takes to get you motivated. Good luck.
To stop smoking

The most important thing is that you have the will to quit


Ask Dr for an anti anxiety drug That what they call nic fits

I used ativan a lot more effective than anti depressants Zyban and Welluburtain and a heck of a lot cheaper
you make a decision,i will not smoke
that is enough to stop smoke
my Dr gave me a scrip that-s called chamfix (chanfix) statedv cant read her writing but she said it was new and worked haven-t got it filled yet maybe your doctor will know about this new drug
Don-t pick up one
you should-ve never started because the addictive poison in there is niccotine.there are 200 known poisons in cigarette smoke.the patches and pills don-t help.i suggest you go to therapy or the doctor.
I started smoking for a very stupid reason. when i was in college some guy was smoking next to me. Stupid me thought i would try one and that would be that. Boy was i wrong. i came home for Christmas and my dad warned me that i would get addicted. I just did not listen. I have smoked on and off for the past 9 years. My doc gave me a new drug called chantix. you keep smoking while you take the first pack of of the drug (i think its 10 days) and than you stop smoking, but keep taking the pills until you are ready to stop. My advice for those who smoke or are thinking about it. DONT even have one cig.. once you do you are hooked and for those who already do smoke. STOP. i know its easier said than done, but you will feel better, you will smell better and most of all..you will live lot longer.
get a new job,a divorce and don-t light up
Does anyone have any suggestions on the best way to help me quit smoking? -