This morning I woke up and I could not breathe, I decided then and there to quit smoking, can you help me? -

Sunday, December 27, 2020

This morning I woke up and I could not breathe, I decided then and there to quit smoking, can you help me? -


As I said I am not going to smoke another cigarette in this life time, my last one was last night before I fell asleep. I gave away the cigarettes I had, except for one sealed pack that will be my trophy. But I am in need of some help, can anyone out there help me in this? I know the whole world hates a quitter, but I don-t care any more, I can-t breathe. I looked through many of the sites that say they can help you stop but they want me to smoke for just a few more days, but I made my decision today and if I do not do it today, I never will. Help? Sorry this is so long but I am frusterated with the helkpers that do not want to help me NOW!
i believe its all will power. you want to lose weight, get a better job, even quit smoking, all it takes is the right frame of mind. do not let anything or anyone stand in your way...especially those that encourage you to break. because in the long run, its your life not theirs...who-s gonna give a d a m n for you if not yourself?...you sound like you are resolved to quit once and for all...excellent! thats the way to start...go cold turkey..forget the gums and the patches...that stuff is for people that need to be weened off their addictions...just quit and end of story...once its out of your system its out. im not saying it will be easy...but it will be worth it in the end. focus on something else...when you get a craving go and workout or jog a while...do something that benefits your health rather than deteriorates it. pysche your body out...when you get cravings for a cigarette..punish your body and lift weights or anything else that will get your mind off the cigarettes.
just my two cents.
Go on a long camping trip where you don-t have access to cigarettes. Cold Turkey it and go crazy where no one can see you. Plus the fresh outdoor air will do you good to help clean out your lungs. Buy lots and lots of gum, I-m talking cases of the stuff, preferably sugerless.
Try the patch or some other aid (ie. Nicorette Gum). When I quit, I used the patch, and it worked great. In the end though, it doesn-t matter what aid you use, you still have to want to quit.
All of the above is definitely good advice the only other useful peice of advice if I may be so bold is please get rid of that trophy.
i quit smoking about 20years ago
i had the same problem
now i can breath much better
good luck
I am a doc and I got my own dad to quit, as well as a number of other people. I got a heroin addict off of both dope and smokes, but he told me later that stopping the smokes was harder!!!!
My advice: Cold turkey just works best, despite all the stuff they try to sell you. It takes two weeks to get your body to withdraw from the nicotine. You will be in a BAD mood, so don-t plan anything stressful, like a family reunion or something. But...after two weeks, the addiction will be only in your mind, not your body anymore.
If you really have trouble during those first two weeks, I suggest you could always to to the pharmacy and pick up some of that nicotine gum to chew. You chew a little and then less and less over a couple of weeks. But lots of people have just gone ahead and done it cold turkey.
Next you have to figure out what makes it worse. Do you want a cigarette when you watch a certain tv show? Or is it when you are sitting on the porch before bed? Everybody has a pattern, you need to know what yours is, and try to think of something to distract you during your smoking pattern times. Maybe you could call up a friend and talk during that tough time, or maybe you could get yourself a celery stick to chew on or a piece of long grass to chew on the end part like we all used to do as kids.
You can do it, all you have to do is decide right now. Make sure your freinds are all on board with this, you can-t have them dragging you down and offering you cigarettes etcetera.
But yes, it is hard, but you CAN do it, I know because I have seen many people be successful.
In Colorado (and I am sure other states) there is a quit-line you can call and they will give you free nicotine patches, also there is a prescription that a lot of doctors are prescribing called Bupropion it is an antidepressant, but also works for quiting. I also agree about the idea about going camping without cigarettes that would work well also,but before you go get rid of all the ashtrays in the house, or where you usually smoke, clean out your car so there won-t be the smell to lure you back when you get home, also don-t go around people that smoke, it will only make you want one.
This morning I woke up and I could not breathe, I decided then and there to quit smoking, can you help me? -