How do I help my boyfriend quit smoking? -

Tuesday, December 6, 2005

How do I help my boyfriend quit smoking? -


my boyfriend has been smoking for about 2 years and is wanting to quit. how can i support him. i know its going to be hard for him, ive never smoked though or had any other addictions like this so im not really sure how to help him. does anyone have any advice?
get him one of those stop smoking things and if he wants 2 smoke tell him all the HORRIBLE stuff that-s in there like an ingredient in rat Poison and in tar!
The best help is not to attack or blame him. Let him know that you support him and want him to be healthy for you and for himself.

It only takes a few days of not smoking to get a great deal of the nicotine out of his system. During this time, have him drink lots of water and juice to flush out the nicotine.

Also, let him sleep as much as he wants. Have plenty of healthy (and some not so healthy treats) on hand to combat the cravings.

Avoid -smoking situations- for at least a week. Friends who smoke, Places like clubs, where smoking goes on. Stay outside in the fresh air.

Clean his things and wash his clothes. Get the smoke smell out of his stuff.

Throw out the lighters and ashtrays. It is up to him to toss the cigarettes, but no reason to keep the other stuff.

Finally, he is going to slip and have one. Most likely he will stub it out immediately and regret the decision. Don-t come down hard on him if he does. Just tell him he can quit right away again.

Time is on his side. It just takes one day at a time to quit for a lifetime.

Good luck,
Smoking is a habit on so many levels. He needs to find ways to change his habits and the triggers for picking up the cigarette in the first place.

Exercise and good eating will help, as will staying busy and keeping focused on wanting to get healthy. Smoking is indicated in so many illnesses, it-s just better for your overall health to quit.
Yes i have some great advice that could help you out a lot. I used to be a smoker for many years and i was trying to quit half that time. Quitting is really hard and i tried the patch and the gum but still went back to cigarettes. About three months ago a close friend told me about electronic cigarettes and i was skeptical at first but i went ahead and tried them. Guess what? I haven-t had a real cigarette in over three months. I started and the top nicotine level and i-m down to the light now. I can smoke them anywhere and theree is no gross smoke or tobacco. Buy him a pack and see what happens. they are awesome. hope this helps
I smoked for about nine years before I quit smoking. I have now been smoke-free for over seven years. It was a very difficult, but not impossible task. Help your boyfriend by first having him identify his main triggers that produce his cravings or urges. For example, one of my main triggers was a full stomach. Right after eating a meal, I would immediately light up a cigarette.

After he-s identified his triggers, then he must find a new way to cope with the urges. I started carrying around a pack of chewing gum and toothpicks. Right after eating I would pop in a piece of gum. After it lost flavor I would then start chewing on a toothpick. This helps cope with the oral fixation that was created due to smoking. It is not just the physical nicotine addiction, it is the little habits such as holding the cigarette in your hand and making the motions to your mouth.

I would not recommend the nicotine gum, it is nasty! Just regular chewing gum like Wrigleys. Your boyfriend might also get help from a stop smoking aid like the nicotine patch, but this alone will not cut it.

I wrote a book with a detailed action plan on how to quit smoking in two days. You can download it for free at my website, www.mywaytoquitsmoking.com You and your boyfriend should read the ebook and then follow my detailed action plan. Good luck and feel free to contact me via my email listed on the website.
i just quit smoking six month ago on the 26th. and for me it was something that i thought about all the time but when i tried to quit it was always half hearted i didnt have my mind set that i was gonna quit but this time i said no matter what i am gonna quit. i started out wearing the patch and it did help with my cravings i did that for like 3 days until one day i forgot to wear it went the whole day without realizing that i didnt have it on. so i sad forget i am not gonna wear it anymore and just stayed strong and now i am smoke free
For me it was do not nag..do not tell me when I picked up a cigarette that I do not need that..no set goal..I quit on my own after many many years of smoking, but I had to do it myself, my way. I cut back slowly, I hit my plateau where I would have a couple of smokes before bed..stayed there a few months, then finally one day at a time I stopped.
Perhaps you can find some useful tips in
http://www.quitnow.info.au
.
Easy. Stop smoking or I will be force to break up with you.
kill him
How do I help my boyfriend quit smoking? -