Trying to quit smoking but feel sick still ? -

Tuesday, December 6, 2005

Trying to quit smoking but feel sick still ? -


Ive been getting sinus infections almost bi monthly for the past year and kept getting walking pneumonia so I decided to quit because the doctors said it would help not cure all my ailments... The question is I have not smoked in the past 11 days and Im finishing up my Levaquin for a sinus infection only a few days left of the antibiotic yet I still don-t feel better. Much improved from last weekend but still not there.... My question is I havent smoked in 11 days which takes alot more than that to cure your body but I still feel sick... The sinus pressure is gone but Ive got this spaced out feeling in my head and I feel chest congestion but no cough.... Is this normal I am on the patch for nicotine replacement Im just sick of feeling sick all the time and I dont want to go back to smoking please help
Congratulations, keep going, and try not to give up it will all be worth it in the end I gave up over a year and a half ago now. I too felt dizzy and at first my doctor thought it was high blood pressure as i felt as though at times I was on a ship! rocking and rolling, then she though It might be an inner ear infection because of my symptoms. But it was actually the giving up of smoking. I feel great now. still have a wee craving now and then though!
But I feel my house, my clothes, my hair, all smell cleaner for giving up. (Now I know what my daughter meant when she said Gosh! Mum! you smell like an ash tray)
As I can smell the least little thing now.
Congrats again, and keep up the good work.
well done sweetie its been 11 days keep going, when i quit i felt so sick and kept getting colds and was ill for quite some time, it is just your bodies way of clearing out all the bad stuff you have been inhaling for years after about a month i felt a lot better and i tried patches and as my nurse said to me yes they can make you feel sick but the side affects of the patches are far better than the damage you do smoking, it is hard but you will feel better, keep up the good work honey your doing a great job.
Some people have reactions to the patches. I did when I tried them. I finally went cold turkey (after a heart attack) and have been smoke free for over a year now. See your doctor and he should be able to recommend something other than the patches. Good luck and remember that you CAN do it.
Whatever you do, keep going!! I-m an ex-smoker (over 30 years) and stopped because I had a heart attack last year. It all comes down to willpower, so don-t weaken. I can guarantee it will be worth it, both medically and financially. To help you with the -fight-, this is what happens when you give up -

Within 20 minutes: Your blood pressure and pulse rate drop to normal. Body temperature of hands and feet increase to normal.
Within eight hours: Carbon monoxide level in the blood drops to normal and oxygen levels in blood rise to normal. Smoker-s breath disappears.
Within 24 hours: Chance of a heart attack decreases.
Within 48 hours: Nerve endings start regrowing. Ability to taste and smell enhances.
Within three days: You-ll breath easier.
Within two weeks to three months: Circulation improves. Walking becomes easier. Lung function increases up to 30 per cent.
Within one to nine months: You-ll cough less. Sinus congestion and shortness of breath decrease. The cilia that sweep debris from your lungs will grow back. You-ll feel more energetic.
Within one year: Excess risk of coronary heart disease is half that of a smoker.
Within two years: Your heart attack risk drops to near normal.
Within five years: Lung cancer death rate for average former smoker decreases by almost half. Stroke risk is reduced to that of a non-smoker five to ten years after quitting. Risk of cancer of the mouth, throat, and esophagus, is half that of a smokers.
Within 10 years: Lung cancer death rate is similar to that of a non-smoker-s. Pre-cancerous cells are replaced. Risk of cancer of the mouth, throat, esophagus, bladder, kidney, and pancreas decreases.
Within 15 years: Your risk of coronary heart disease is that of a non-smoker-s.

All good, eh? Good luck.
it will take at least a month or so to feel better. please take some vitamins because smoking depletes your body of important vitamins that you need. Get on a healthy diet and I promise you-ll feel much better!
Quite natural, giving up smoking is hard. It made me feel really odd, [not nice odd]. Personally I couldn-t handle the patches, they made me feel ill. As you know it does get better/ easier. Good luck, keep it up !
You may be having a reaction to quitting smoking. Stick with it - it will wear off gradually. You-re right, it takes more than 11 days for you to get significant health benefits from quitting; but 11 days is better than none!

If you still feel sick, it could also be the infection. Have you tried nasal irrigation for the sinus problem? If you feel chest congestion, it could be a return of the pneumonia. I-d go back to the doctor asap and get your chest checked out.
It will take time. I quit smoking 4 days ago with Chantix. I didn-t want to replace nicotine, I wanted to get rid of it. You will get better, but there isn-t a miricle cure for sinuses, congestion, pneumonia, etc..

Good luck and stick with it.
Gernot S: What gives you the right to call anyone stupid?
If you didn`t like the question you should not have answered it. People like you are always very lonely.
I THINK U MUST HAVE SMOKED FOR A LONG TIME AND THAT SMOKE MUST HAVE GOT STORED IN UR CHEST AND MAKING U DIFFICULT TO BREATH. ITS GOOD U STOPPED SMOKING OR ELSE U CAN SUFFER FROM BRONCITISOR EMPHYSEMA. I-L TELL U WAT IS THESE DISEASE. emphysema breaks down the alveoli. the one or more substance in tobacco smoke weakens the walls of the alveoli. bronchitis stops the cilia in the air passages from beating and so the irritant substances in the smoke and the excess mucus collects in the the bronchi. it is located in the lungs. ask ur doc whether any of these are the problems. if not then pls send ur symptoms properly and i-ll explain it. sometimes becoz ur addicted u cant stay without one dose. u feel uneasy. as people say a smoker cannot go to the bathroom without smoking.
Congratulations for not smoking for 11 days. There is some improvement in your health, as you say, so try to be patient.
Try to drink lots of liquids, and sleep and rest as much as you can. These two things help your body recover from infection and clean up the toxins taken in with smoking. Your brain needs the rest also, to recover from probably years of being under the stimulant effects of nicotine. Some light walking is all right, but I would not recommend any heavy duty exercise when you feel light headed and you have an infection. Feeling lightheaded may also be a part of the symptoms some of which we all go through when quitting smoking. Just hang in there, you know, you are doing the right thing and should be proud of yourself. It is OK to see your doc again if you find things are not going quite right.
Get well soon!
You have a stupid screen name, and also a stupid habit, in smoking. It is excelent that you have given up. Try to stop endlessly thinking about how you feel. Go for a walk, take a bike ride, get some exercise., Think healthy - BE healthy.
Trying to quit smoking but feel sick still ? -