Has anyone ever quit smoking and dealt successfully with the weight gain? -

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Has anyone ever quit smoking and dealt successfully with the weight gain? -


My mother quit smoking two years ago and has since gained 25 pounds. She has tried, diets, several workout plans and is now seeing a nutritionist and nothing is helping. Shes driving herself (and everyone else) crazy. Any words of wisdom?
There are three reasons why people tend to put on weight when they quit smoking:
1.Generally, for most people their appetite improves because the toxins in tobacco have the effect of suppressing appetite. It’s tragic that this is one reason why young women start to smoke, because they believe it will help them keep weight off. When your appetite improves you may find you want to eat more. ADVICE: Eat healthily and get active. That means nutritious foods in satisfactory portions – don’t pig out on rubbish foods with high sugar, fat and salt content and do some exercise.
2.The minor physical withdrawal symptoms from nicotine feel exactly like being a bit hungry. So don’t make the mistake of trying to satisfy the withdrawal from nicotine with food. ADVICE: Recognise that during the first 5-7 days the empty hungry feeling isn’t real hunger. Have a drink of water or do a quick relaxation exercise instead of eating.
3.Many smokers make the mistake of searching for a substitute to replace the cigarette. Often this will be lollies or high calorific snacks like chocolates, biscuits, cream cakes or sausage rolls! ADVICE: Do not use any substitutes – you don’t need them.

If you follow this advice you won’t put on weight, in fact you’ll lose it, because once you quit you’ll feel much more motivated to get out there and be active.

Good luck!

Allen Carr’s Easyway To Stop Smoking http://www.allencarr.com.au/states/qld
I smoke for about 7 years and I just quit. Yes, I-m also experiencing the same thing..gaining weight! my weight before was only 115 pounds and now I am 127 pounds. I-ve been cutting my food like no rice, and eat in small amounts but it just isnt working. My friend adviced me to go on a cardio activity like badminton and as much as possible do more exercise, walk,. climb the stairs and not use elevator in order to lose all the excess weight. I-m trying and I hope to be successful.
I thought that smoking more actually makes you gain weight due to the increase in appetite? What substance are you referring to?
-Keep busy- is the best advice I could give her. I failed a quit over last summer because there was simply nothing for me to do. I found myself smoking out of boredom, and when that wasn-t an option, I-d munch on something instead.

But, this last run (since January) I-ve considered successful since I-ve been absolutely swamped at work and school. In fact, I-ve actually lost about 10 lbs since I quit. There-s always something to do, so whenever cravings pop up they are almost immediately quashed by work, or collapsing from exhaustion.

Does she have any hobbies? You know how they what they say about -idle hands- - it-s kind of true in this context.
Has anyone ever quit smoking and dealt successfully with the weight gain? -