I have a question for everyone who has SUCCESSFULLY quit smoking cigarettes. that question is: HOW IN THE WORL -

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

I have a question for everyone who has SUCCESSFULLY quit smoking cigarettes. that question is: HOW IN THE WORL -


DID YOU DO IT?? heres the info: im a male who has smoked for roughly 20 years. ive tried patches-smoked with them on!-,cold turkey and welbutrin. welbutrin is an anti-depressant thats suppose to help quit smoking too-didnt happen. im thinkin of cold turkey again mixed in with ALOT of praying. im tired of the nasty habit, increasing taxes and just want to be around longer for my children. any suggestions???
i think you tried it all...i know it-s addicting..just ****** quit...it-s hell to quit and the mood swings are the worst...i think the patch took the nicotine cravings away from me but the habit was still there so i doubled my nicotine intake making it even harder to quit...so every time i craved one i-d gulp a lot of water and that tinny taste in my mouth went away and i was so bloated from all that water i felt naucious...and the water is flushing your system of toxins...it takes 48 hours to be nicotine free...the rest is you mind you have to train...you-ll crave them for the next 20 years...hang in there and good luck brother
I did it with acupuncture...


Report Abuse



My mom did it after 40 years of smoking, she tried the gum but went cold turkey. The first two weeks were the worst and now she-s been smoke free 18 months.
I researched this to help her and discovered people who went cold turkey have the best success because you have to give up the nicotine somehow. She chewed lots of gum and gained weight too.
God bless you, cause you will need that prayer.
I smoked for 22 years.Quit cold turkey.Had a little help.Emphysema,copd,asthma and bronchopneumonia.Along with a family that cared if I lived or died.I haven-t touched any tobacco in 19 and 1/2 years.My father-in-law died with emphysema,but that didn-t even slow me down smoked for another 14 years. You have to want to quit or it isn-t going to happen.I can-t walk more than 100 feet with out having to stop and catch my breath.Not on oxygen yet. I-ll pray for you.
It took my kids telling me he could grow up and smoke like me. He couldn-t wait. I knew it was time for those ******* to go! You just gotta wrap your head around it and think of your kids. It actually goes ok if you do that. Plus, skip the gum and patch, try the wellbutrin, and treat yourself to a really expensice cigar once a week. Knowing that is coming up might help you get through. Good luck!
you can do it,baby..establish or re-establish a regular exercise routine..get the kids involved..think of every seven minutes you spend with them as a smoke.
your body is dirty. It is full of toxins. your body stores all these toxins and Now you need to detx yourself to cleanse . These will get you to stop wanting them cause my husband was a bad smoker and I had him cleanse he-s body and when he went to have one he couldn-t stand the taste and the smell of it... Go to my website and check it out if you like and good luck
A doctor told me I had to quit and prescribed nicorette gum. That stuff, lots of gum, AND BEING AWAY FROM OTHER SMOKERS. Don-t think I-d have been able to do it around others who smoked. Take a month off if you have to and go where there are no smokers. It-s GREAT to be rid of the stinky stuff. It took a couple of years before my hand quit reaching for my pipe. (smoked cigarettes too tho)
I wish I could help you out here. I am in the same predicament. The only problem is now that my insurance covers many of the products to stop smoking my DR. won-t prescribe them. He says he doesn-t want to introduce another product into the mix. I quit drinking and many illegal drugs but the cigarettes got a hold on me.
find a hypnotherapist who specializes in hypnotizing to quit smoking. I have heard it works great.
my father quit after smoking for 45 years. He did it when his doctor told him he had to have a CABG (Coronary Artery Bypass Graft) because his arteries were clogged from damage done from smoking cigarettes. That was five years ago. Today he is in perfect health. Ok, that-s probably not the answer you were looking for, but it-s something for you to think about. Good luck!!!
hey well i smoked for about 13 years didnt start till about 20-21 and stoped t about 35 i stoped cause its bad but i just quit oneday cause my chest hurt really bad..my boss smoked too and i was always trying to keep up with him to impress ihim, but one day might chest hurt so bad it scared me and i said either i quit or i die ..lol so i chose to quit..it took physical pain for me to quit and you know i never had those pains agian so it ws for the best....i feel much better know..nand i used to think i could imagine going out to a club w/o a smoke or takiing a driv w/o one but i just ate sunflower seeds and chewed **** loads of gum..replacing each stick frequently..to rid myslef of the hand mouth thing and here it is like a few years later and still smoke free..good luck you can do it! first 3 days are the hardest but replace your hand mouth addiction with seeds or gum(sugarfree) believe me you wer not born with a cigg in your mouth so you dont relly need one like a ir or water its just a matter of self control..everytime you want one take a look at a pic of your family and decide which is more improtant..carry it with you in your wallet..look at it reguarly and think about which is more imprtant ..that dam lung cancer ,smelly,burnt weed......? or seeing your children grow up..retireing in a nice place with your wife..breathig easie everymorning..NOT smeling like and ashtray..being able to taste food again the right way..and knowing your doing something to imrove your life and the life of your family...U can do it!!!
Use wHat GOd gave you ..and you wont have any problems...
Good Luck,
Monte
I smoke for 20 years then quit for love....then I started again..the second time I quit it was much harder...I used nicorettes and had lotsa support at home...it is a really addictive drug..but really if you REALLY want to quit you will..often people don-t succeed on their first try....keep trying..sounds to me like you are ready to break the habit...the cravings will be bad for about 3 days...after that your body has completely rid itself of nicotine..not that the cravings won-t come back...but they eventually will taper off to nothing.I-ve haven-t had any urge for years and years..I-ve been smoke free now for 15 years. and..you will feel so much healthier...go for it..I believe you can do it. Do it for your children.
I smoked for 15 years. It is very difficult to stop, but the key is that you really really have to want to stop. I used the lowest dose patch available. On the day, you are ready to stop, douse your smokes under water adn throw them out. Throw out all matches, lighters, and ashtrays. You do not need that stuff anymore.

Everytime you reach a milestone, a week, two weeks, one month, you need a reward that is non food related. A massage, a manicure, a facial, a dvd you have really wanted, go to a ball game, whatever it is for you, do it. You spent the money on smokes, now spend the money on something else. When a year had passed, I bought myself a new car. I felt I deserved it.

Everytime you want a smoke, it will cost you a half hour walk. Do not take any money with you as you cannot be trusted not to walk to a store that sells smokes. Really. Always pay at the pump, around here you can smoke in gas stations, and it was a real problem for me, just stay out. No alcohol during this time either, seriously. You need to pretend that you are an addict that needs cared for, why? Because you are, you need to be prepared.

The walks were key for me. They got me over that AGGGHH! feeling, got me away from my family when I was irritable, and that is how I became a runner. It may not happen for you, but you will avoid the weight gain that everyone says is unavoidable.

Good luck, I hope this helps you in some way...
I smoked two packs a day for thirty years, cold turkey was the only thing that worked, it was tough as hell the first few days but it gets easier as you go, take it one day at a time and don-t get discouraged if you backslide, I did a few times, just remember why you-re doing it, it gets easier, believe me, I haven-t had a cigarette in three years, good luck, it-ll be the best thing you can do
My husband used to smoke. I hate cigarette smoke and when I became pregnant started throwing out ultimatums. He tried patches and then zyban but he wasn-t ready. Then he wanted to quit again and try zyban again and you are supposed to smoke the first week on the pills to let them get in your system. I thought since he was ready and had patches left he should use the zyban and the patches. He was so sick he was puking and in such a fog he couldn-t even drive. I finally called the doc after 4 days and they said both contained meds that shouldn-t be mixed. For some weird reason it worked. Maybe he was ready. That was 10 years ago and he now occasionally smokes a cigar but then gripes about how bad he feels the next day.
Hi. First off I want to say, you CAN do it! You have to have the right mindset. I smoked for over 20 years and stopped cold turkey. How? Because I wanted to do it for myself. I set myself up to STOP. If you quit, it gives you room to start again. But if you stop, there is no room to start. If you smoke menthol, grab a mint and suck on it. If you have the need to do something with your hands, use a short straw to hold and even suck in fresh air.

The nicotine craving lasts for a whole three minutes, that-s not long. You can last and stand it for that amount of time. I called it the three minutes of hell. After the first five days, it will get easier and easier. It-s a waiting game and you can and are much stronger than tobacco.

Good luck!

Sooo.. have you stopped yet?! ;)
I quit when I moved to a new city, this helped because I lost my triggers. I also started chewing a lot of gum.
Never given up. Know how hard it is to quit, so you never want to start again. DO NOT SMOKE ANYTHING. Do not take a drag. Put the tempting cigarettes in a glass of water and look at it every day and think of your lungs. Think of your kids lungs. I did that but could not quit so I just put off smoking another cigarette for 25 years. I promised myself a cigarette then following sex. I had smoked for over 37 years at least two packs a day, but it has been over 20 now since I had a smoke. I WAS LUCKY I DID
STOP SMOKING WHEN I DID AND THAT IT WAS NOT TOO LATE FOR ME. TRY EVERYTHING; DO IT.
I have a question for everyone who has SUCCESSFULLY quit smoking cigarettes. that question is: HOW IN THE WORL -