Whats the best method to quit smoking? -

Friday, July 7, 2006

Whats the best method to quit smoking? -


ok heather i have had to do this, keep something in your mouth like a peice of gum or hard candy and dont buy the cigarretts no matter what, have a friend help you by giving you an assentive for following through with it, like they will take you out to your fav. resturant or to a movie things like that, also in the end you will realize that you will save TONS of money along the way to buy awsome purses or jewlery for yourself. Trust me it is worth it. GOOD LUCK and god bless
You have to really want to and have lots of support from people around you. So if you fall they-ll pick you back up.
cold turkey.

however, cigarette addiction is partially mental, partially physical. if you are not mentally prepared and ready to quit, you will not quit.

you have to WANT to quit more than you want to smoke.

i smoked a pack a day for years, then quit cold turkey over a year ago. it was easy, because i WANTED to quit.
If you truly want to quit, then you just quit. You make a choice to not buy cigarettes again. Remove all lighters and ashtrays from your house. Hard candy or jawbreakers can help too. This is what I did two years ago and haven-t smoked since.
1.- Never start
2.- Hypnotization
3.- Get pregnant
4.- Have a friend that cares for you and is a doctor examine you and make uo that if you dont quit now youll die in 10 months.
5.- when you feel like smoking substitue it with something better, (candy, excercise, or couples excercise ;))
I used to smoke almost 2 packs a day and tried everything. I found doing it cold turkey was the best for me. It was hard but worked.
The best method is to get a spine and just quit.
The next best method if you won-t sack up is to work with your primary care physician.
First off, you have to WANT to and then I would consider Nicorette Gum. I bought for my husband on eBay as the prices were consderably cheaper than retail and he loves it! He still smokes a few here and there at night time but during the day, in the field at work, he doesn-t smoke at all.
Heather - this depends on the person.

23 years ago, I just got darn tired of spending money for the rising costs of cigs, plus I was weary of losing my breath after climbing a flight of stairs and having ash burns on my shirts.
So, I just quit.
I suppose my brain chemistry didn-t have as many addictive receptors as some people.
And I believe that is key to quitting - what a persons addictive level determines their quitting ability.

You are going to have to find out for yourself what you have the strength to do alone or with support from the patch or other methods.

Good luck!
If you make it, think of the money you-ll save...let alone the health insurance!
try reducing how much u smoke in a day or just cold turkey completely stop, that-s how i did it, goodluck.
stop hanging around wit peeps who smoke, get a new hobbie uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh It makes people stink!!!
used Zypan a prescription drug, haven-t smoked in 15 years
good luck
80% of the people that quit, do it with grit. I did it that way after smoking for 10 years. Here-s how I ATTAINED and KEPT that grit to DO it...

If you remember seeing,-Indiana Jones- there was a scene where he is running from a bolder. The harder he ran the further away the bolder got from him. The harder he ran, the SMALLER it got TO him.

Every day you say no, you get further and further from that temptation. It-s always going to CHASE you, because that-s the way the makers MAKE cigarettes, but as the temptation gets smaller, with every day you say no, you can literally take a non-lit cigarette butt and -put the temptation in it,- step on the butt, and the temptation goes out.
balls

just to WANT to stop.
I-ve heared the best way is cold turkey. They say it-s hard in the first week but then you-re less likely to start back up.

I also know someone who had success with the patch.
Good luck!
Congrats to me, I made 2 years yesterday after 40 years of smoking. I did it cold turkey. Just put it in my mind that I needed to quit when I had a hard time pushing 140 pounds on wheels 50 feet. Now I feel better.
Here-s two VERY helpful suggestions: #1-Tell everyone you know that your quiting on whatever date. That way you will not want to look like a *%!^+#! to your friends by starting up again. #2-This one WILL help you SO much: the craving for a smoke only lasts a couple minutes. Your tough-enough to ride that out! The cravings eventually (quicker than you think) get further apart and then you-ve got it beat! Just REMEMBER the cravings do go away quick! (maybe chew-gum then if you have to)
Cold turkey that way you are not tempted to start agian. And when doing this for about a monthh try to stay away from others who smoke or ask them not to smoke around you. Oh and be sure to keep a lot of gum Good luck and you can do this.
I smoked for 13 years, tried cold turkey and patch, I ended up doing to a Duke University smoking cessation study, and for some reason, that did the trick, what it was;
i had to keep a diary of what i smoked, when and why, I wore a patch that they provided and smoked the cigarettes (my brand) that they provided. No one knew whether the patch or the cigarettes were altered, but it worked, and it worked well, I haven-t smoked in a year. I would call your local Universities and see if they have any similar to that, personally, I think it was having to answer to someone about my behavior, not wanting to disappoint my lab tech, and having to think about what I was doing that helped me.
by not letting cig in your mouth
Whats the best method to quit smoking? -