Have you ever quit smoking cold turkey? -

Friday, September 8, 2006

Have you ever quit smoking cold turkey? -


Or know someone that has? I want to know how likely it is that it-ll work, and what can help.

I-m 21 and have been smoking a pack a day for a year. My lungs hurt really bad right now and I-m sick of this. I get short of breath very easily and I feel old.
I did, but I wasn-t a heavy smoker, and I only smoked at work. When I changed work assignments...same employer but different desk, different team, I decided to quit. It was easier because I was in a different place.
I smoke socially. I smoke less than twice a year. When I crave a cigarette (which is usually around mid-terms or finals) I can have one for that week and when the stress is gone so is the craving. If you have serious addiction why don-t you try one of those nicotine patches. I am told that if you use them ONLY when you have a craving that it will work.
Yep! When I found out I was pregnant, I stopped straight away and haven-t had one since. 10 years now! (Some days though, I-d kill for one!)
Yes, I have quit smoking cold turkey. It-s the hardest way to quit, but the most effiecent. however i have quit smoking twice and started back up twice. It all depends on your willpower though. Try not to get discouraged and don-t give in to the cravings.
I did quit cold turkey, but I wasn-t smoking as much as you and I had a reason to quit, I was pregnant. Most people that quit any major habit have to make it past the 3 week period. If you-ve quit and not smoked for 3 weeks, then you are usually good to go, but it will still be tempting in bars and around others that smoke. I still have cravings every now and then and it has been about 10 years.
You sound just like me. I was 21 when I stopped, I quit cold turkey - I-m 32 now; and cigg free since the day I quit 11 yrs ago.

:) You can do it! :)

Oh, not everyone gains weight - :) :) You can find a good sugar free candy to suck on that will help - or a mint. :) Something to make your mouth feel -clean- so you wont want to make it all yucky. :)
I did twenty five years ago. That was after two previous failed attempts! I found the trick was to schedule quitting day far enough in the future to allow you time to psych up for it, and it helps if you pick a date when a positive event is occurring, such as a wedding, or vacation trip. In my case it was a move to a new house, from finding to final closing consumed about three months. Plenty of time to psych up. Been smoke free ever since. Good luck in your attempt, be aware you-ll have to keep fighting temptation for months and it-ll be a couple of years before it becomes easy to be around other smokers. The good news is, you-ll eventually start disliking the smell of cigarette smoke.
yeah just be prepared to gain a little weight! find something to keep yourself busy besides eating when you get those withdrawls
I did it when I was your age. I realized that being sick all the time (I had chronic sinus infections) wasn-t worth it anymore. Just think of what you could do with the money you save.
I got sick one day and stopped, thinking that smoking had to do with my sickness. That was 36 years ago.
I have tried but, just don-t buy anymore, don-t be around smoke or you-ll probaly start again. I-ve tried it many times.
This is the only way to do it. And stay away from friends who smoke.
Yes, but I was down to about 4 cigarettes a day when I did it.

Maybe you could try reducing the number you smoke a day by one each week?

I also found www.quitnet.com to be a fantastic resource.
Yes, that-s the only way that I can quit. I had smoked 4 over 10 yrs. off - on .
Have you ever quit smoking cold turkey? -