Has anyone tried the Medication to help you quit smoking...? -

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Has anyone tried the Medication to help you quit smoking...? -


Chantix is the medication I am refering to,have you used it or do you know anything about it? Is it a anti-depressant?Does it work? Is there any adverse effects?
I-m on it. It isn-t an antidepressant at all. In fact, if you do have depression (or any other mental condition), it exacerbates it. The way it works can be kind of hard to explain. Basically what-s going on when you smoke is, nicotine is binding to nicotine receptors in your brain (the more nicotine you take in, the more receptors you grow for it), the binding then stimulates dopamine, which tells you that it-s enjoyable. So, when you take Chantix, the active chemical in it Varenicline blocks the ability of nicotine to bind to the receptors, and at the same time it binds to the receptors and stimulates some activity. It kind of tricks your brain into thinking it-s getting the nicotine, but since it isn-t the receptors for the nicotine eventually decrease (when the receptors for it are gone, your body no longer wants it.). Since the dopamine isn-t being stimulated like it was is the reason it can exacerbate any mental conditions. The results from that can range from aggitation to becoming very irritable and suicide to psychosis, but it-s not common. If you don-t have any mental conditions (depression, bipolar, schizophrenic, ect.) you should be just fine. I actually have anxiety and I-m doing great on it, so you just have to know your body and mind. The only side effects I have experienced so far is some dizziness and nausea in the first week, but it was minor and bearable. It works really well, even in the first week I went from over a pack a day to 2 cigarettes EASILY. By week 2, I wasn-t even enjoying those. I was bothered by my own smoke! I didn-t think about smoking during the day, I just kind of forgot about it. I mentally craved one with my coffee in the morning, but since I knew I didn-t enjoy them anymore and they bothered me, I had to tell myself no. It was actually pretty easy, SO unlike before! Now, when my boyfriend comes inside after smoking, I find the smell absolutely disgusting. I want nothing to do with it. I have tried everything in the past to quit (including the useless hypnosis sessions) and nothing could work for even a day. This medication is the only thing that has worked, and it did it without the torture! Chantix has a VERY good success rate (the other poster is dead wrong) and is HIGHY effective. I can-t say enough good about it. I-m happy, and thrilled to finally be smoke free. I highly recommend Chantix to anyone without depression who wants to quit for good! You should atleast try it. Just watch yourself, you-ll know if you begin to feel the mental side effects (it usually begins as depression, aggitation, irritability), then stop taking it. It-s not for everyone, but it-s worth a shot! If you ever have any questions about it at all, feel free to email me.
lol no. why would i spend money to make stop smoking, which is costing me money as well. the idea is to save. this is my last pac i swear.
See the website.
Has anyone tried the Medication to help you quit smoking...? -