How did you quit smoking cigarettes for good? -

Friday, January 1, 2010

How did you quit smoking cigarettes for good? -


nicotine is a highly toxic alkaloid used mainly in pesticides. i repeated that sentence to myself and drank a glass of water everytime i wanted a cig. it-s been 8 years now :)
you simply do not buy cigarettes
1- Don-t go around telling people you quit. Let you actions speak.
2- Don-t throw out your cigarettes or try to ration them.
3- Keep a pack available at all times.
4- Whenever you have an urge to smoke, make a conscious decision to smoke that single cigarette. If you decide you don-t want it, put it back in the pack. Soon you will find that you are smoking less and less. If after some time without, you feel the urge, force yourself to decide again if you want that cigarette.

This method worked for me 12 years ago. I went from 2 packs a day to 5 cigarettes a day in the first week. Don-t try to set goals. Let it come naturally.

GOOD LUCK
The best thing to do is just quit cold turkey. It-s hard to do but the other plans like the gum, patches, etc...just never seem to work. Just make it up in your mind that you are going to quit smoking and do it. Throw all of your old packs away. Also, don-t try to quit gradually, because you will more than likely start smoking more than you did before!
DIE
I used the patch...If I was to it all over I would just DO it...I think the patch makes it stretch out forever...Do-nt smoke...Not even a drag...then you will be a non smoker!
My mom quit cold turkey 46 years ago. She never touched another one.
Well, Jackie F, First you have to really want to. If you don-t fugettaboutit. If you do try the Nicodrem patches. I did for about 6 weeks and haven-t smoked in 10 years. But think of it this way. You are NEVER an ex-smoker, just a smoker that isn-t smokin!
One night 15 years ago I crunched up my pack and swore I would never smoke another cigarette. I was a heavy (2 pack plus) long time smoker and scared that I was beginning to experience emphysema. Thankfully I was successful. The withdrawal was short - a few days but the emotional dependence went for a long time. All these pills and patches are garbage - you just gotta quit. It-s worth it.
Nicotine gum helped me quit. I used it for about a week and since then I have been a non-smoker for the past 4 months.
Cold Turkey.
Set a date, smoked my last cigarette, tossed out all my lighters and ashtrays. Began sucking on straws and toothpicks to curb the oral fixation part. Worked for me. It only takes about 48 -72 hrs to have the nicotine out of your system. Worked for me. Still have the occasional desire to have one and then I remember why I quit. I-ve been smoke free for 3.5 yrs. I smoked for almost 20 yrs. Good luck!
Personally I watched my brother die of lung cancer. I laid my cigarettes down and that was 3 years ago. I have not wanted one since. The funny thing is Ive been a nurse for 25 years Ive watched alot of people die of lung cancer but it doesnt hit home til its someone you love. Dont put your family or yourself through that if you can do anything to change it.
I smoked for 8 years, I just decided one day to not smoke anymore. Half way through a cigarette I put it out and did not light one ever again. You-re probably saying it was just easy for me, it-s different for you...it hurts, but believe me I went through some serious withdrawal. I would grab for a pencil every time I wanted to smoke and chewed through several, but I was determined. I just kept telling myself it won-t last forever...it-s only pain it will go away. It will go away, and after a week, it started to calm down, then by a month all the residual -pain- was gone. Now I am free from cigarettes 15 years. Don-t let the cigarette companies own you, Do some research on what you are putting into your body. Get angry. YOu only have one set of lungs and it hurts worse when you can-t get oxygen into your body than a few weeks of withdrawal. Good luck, I know you can do it.
try Chantix, it worked well for me.
As a nurse I watched many people die from it....terrible deaths from basically suffocation.
Discipline. Just quite cold turkey. I made a commitment to myself and I am honoring it.
I just stopped.
I went to bed one night and told myself I am never going to smoke again. The next week was kind of hard, but I kept myself busy, and I have not smoked in about 5 years....
How did you quit smoking cigarettes for good? -