I have just recently quit smoking, any good ideas to help? -

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

I have just recently quit smoking, any good ideas to help? -


-Hi JimmyNate-,

Congratulations 1st off!

One day at a time is the motto for AA groups - we all know this addiction.
Chew gum, sun flower seeds, tootsie pops, exercise, drink plenty of cold water ( with either lemon or limes added to it), veggies, fruit,
chew on a straw (no calories that way), hard candies, avoid anything you associated with smoking (coffee, booze, meals - funerals were the hardest for me), find places that are smoke free, join a group for support - sometimes encouragement-American Cancer Society has list of cessations places you can go too. It-s you need to find something to do with your hands-try knitting, painting etc. My physcian told me trying to quit smoking is like withdrawing from herion. I used the patch 1st, then Wellbutrin, then Zyban - finally the Nasal spray Nictrol. I made 2 years then lost 2 family members - a good friend. I-ll tell you this 1 puff leads to 1 cigarette, then a pack, then a carton. And yes I smoke but not 3 packs a day any more, have tried 3 times - will continue to try, I 1st quit in 2004. Good luck - I hope you make it a life time. Have a good day. :0)
Hi -JimmyNate-,

Thanks for the rating - good luck it-s really harder than anything I-ve every done. Have a good day. :0)


Report Abuse



chew gum.
eat sunflower seeds.
snack on little things everytime you feel like a cig -3
i quit smoking over 30 years ago, but I allow myself, if I feel like it, to smoke the third Tuesday evening of each month (I have a group of friends that meets then). I haven-t smoked more than a dozen times or so in all those years, in fact not at all in about six or seven years, but if I ever do feel like it I can, for that one evening. This way I never have to quit for more than a month at a time, which is light years easier than quitting for my whole life, and easier to climb back on the wagon afterwards too.
exercise, eat well, chew gum, and suck on hard candies
start chewing gum that might help..every time you get a craving for a smoke get a stick of gum instead..
huuurrrraaaayyyy to you. if you ever want to smoke again, make sure to smoke a brand that you really hate!! NOT your favorit brand!! and if you fail to stay clean, try again and again and again
best of luck
Congratulations! One Day At a Time works for AA and for anyone who is trying to deal with addictions, and smoking is one of the most addictive. There are lots of free stop smoking (smoking cessation) groups available. Contact your local American Cancer Society, or your local hospital or health clinic for local information. Some states even offer free help (patches, information, support groups) for those who are quitting. Exercise, even just walking, is a great benefit when changing lifestyles, with TONS of benefits. Have lots of fresh, prepared vegatables READY and available. Find something to do with your hands. Have water available that-s cole (in your -fridge) to keep hydrated. Find a buddy for a support system. Keep track of your succes on a calendar. And if a day (24 hours) is too long, make a brick wall drawing, and color-in a brick for each hour (or minute!) you have been smoke-free. You-ll have a visual that shows just how much progress you-ve made. Create a healthy reward system for yourself, like a massage, or a new pair of walking shoes for each week you-re smoke free. Remember, the way to -eat and elephant- is -one bite at a time-! Hang in there. If you -slip-, get right back -on- your focus. Every moment is another opportunity to make a -good- choice! Some people benefit from saying affirmations; remember to -say- it as if it-s already completed...ie. I AM smoke-free and live a healthy lifestyle. Good luck
I have just recently quit smoking, any good ideas to help? -