Can anyone offer alternative ways to quit smoking? patch,gum,cold turkey all ineffective.? -

Friday, September 28, 2012

Can anyone offer alternative ways to quit smoking? patch,gum,cold turkey all ineffective.? -


All of the usual methods have not worked for me, and i-m real tired of doing this......
Most people try cigarettes at some point. the reason some people become addicted and can-t quit, is that about 2% of smokers have an imbalance of seratonin that gets an artificial boost through smoking. The reason this small group can-t quit no matter what they try is the simple fact that they need that seratonin boost to feel like themselves and that-s VERY difficult to give up. If you-ve tried everything, you may ask your doctor to prescribe a Selective Seratonin Reuptake Inhibitor, (an SSRI). These meds are called antidepressants, but they are NOT just for depressed people. They are also for people with compulsive habits, like smoking. It sounds like you easily fall into the category of smokers that would benefit from this approach in their attempt to quit using tobacco. Just ask your doctor and he will start you on an SSRI. There are numerous SSRI-s and there is really no certain way to know if the first one you try will be the one that will help you, but chances are very good. If the first one doesn-t quite do it, there are a few more to try. Each one takes about two weeks or so to kick in, but you-ll KNOW when you find the right match (usually the first one), b/c you-ll feel so much better and your cravings will subside substantially.
Good luck to you and congratulations on your first effective attempt to kick cigarettes out of your life and feel like a million bucks to boot. ;o) WTG!
Almost a doctor!! I also personally have a little anxiety (I-m a perpetual worry wart) so I-ve done a great deal of research on Serotonin and norepineophrine and their effect on anxiety and addiction.


Report Abuse



There is a product sold by Nutri Magic-- Find the nearest one and ask. In about 15-30 days, you will be smoke free
i got pregnant, I instantly quit smoking..works wonders
It doesn-t matter how you quit. It all boils down to self control. If you want to quit, then quit. Don-t give in to the temptation of cigarettes.
Yes its true you have to really want to. Find something to do with your hands. I used whole cinnamon sticks and held it like a cigarrette. I would chew on it I took them withme everywhere and I always had it in my hand or mouth in stead of smoking. Plus everytime I wanted a smoke really really bad. I would break up my routine by jogging. Routine is hard too. You smoke after you eat, or in the morning or whenever. It is a pattern and you need to break up the pattern and have other oral stimuli.
Have you tried Zyban?
You may want to start by cutting down first. It is very difficult to just stop cold. And because smoking satisfies an oral need, you may want to find something that replaces that aspect of it, such as sucking on lollipops. I have also heard many success stories from people that have been hypnotized. But remember, you really have to want to stop! You have to be ready, and you have to make the effort. To get extra motivation, think about how much better you will feel, how much better your senses will be, and how much better you will smell. Not to mention the lowered risk of diseases(but I-m sure you-ve heard enough about that). Good luck, and keep trying!
watch broke back mountain and think of them two in love and what they put in there mouth.
and think about how much practice you are getting with that cigarette.

sorry this is my dumbest answer yet
Cutting down doesn’t work. That’s only procrastinating. You just have to quit. When you want one,lol… just say no. It is really hard to wuit. But I have been cig free for alittle over a year and I started smoking when I was 12 and for the last five years was smoking 2 packs a day. Sometimes I still want to just enjoy a smoke. But I don’t do it. Whe ni smell it it bothers me. You just have to do it.
Its not just the nicotine. Its also the other 50+ chemicals they out in cigarettes. Also the main problem is habit.
We have been used to having body sensations which we translate as -my body needs something, which we have attempted to satisfy by having a cigarette.
When we try to stop smoking, we still get these -my body needs something- sensations, and we still feel that we want a cigarette. We have to train our body to be more selective. When we feel we need something, we have to work out what it is that we actually need.
A glass of water is an excellent substitute if nothing else comes to mind, as it helps with the clearance of the toxic substances in our body. Another good substitute is a bag of salted peanuts, used in combination with the water.
Another thing to do is to find an activity which occupies the mind or body. Go swimming - nobody wants to smoke while they are swimming. Slowly, as our body adjusts and translates the -want something- feelings into something other than cigarettes, then the feelings begin to go away. We know its not a cigarette that the body really needs, because as soon as we-ve had one we still have the feeling, and want another!
This is more a show of support than an answer, most people don-t understand why you can-t -just quit-. I read this to see what can be done, cause I too am in your boat. The answers of Tbaby-TJTB, I will try myself. I will follow this, and hope for you good luck. I have family members who have died from lung cancer, still I cannot quit. That is power in those cigs, but I can hear the nays now.
Can anyone offer alternative ways to quit smoking? patch,gum,cold turkey all ineffective.? -