How did you quit smoking? -

Monday, September 3, 2012

How did you quit smoking? -


I want all the details, tell me your story!
Chantix. I-d recommend it to anyone. I started on Dec 3rd. They say you can continue to smoke the 1st week then try to quit. But if you don-t then just don-t give up. I didn-t quit but the 1st week i was down to around 15 cigarettes a day. I-ve been a pack and a half to two packs a day smoker for around 32 - 33 years. I decided to stay with it and each week i-ve been on it i-ve smoked less - less. The 2nd week i was down to around 10 a day. The 3rd week i was down to around 5 a day. In the 4th week i was down to about 2 a day. In this 5th week i have quit. Haven-t had one since Jan 1st. I-d say i get an -urge- for one a couple times a day but it goes away pretty fast. The biggest thing to help me i think has been getting rid of all the ashtrays. By the 3rd week i could actually smell them and yes, they stink. It hasn-t been that long but i-m noticing changes already. The sense of smell and the biggest one is the smokers cough. I used to go to bed and cough for an hour before going to sleep. Now i go to bed and i go to sleep. Waking up is the same. No coughing. It-s been some work but the pill has been a great help. In the past i tried -cold turkey-, using the patch, using the gum, the wellbutrion pill. All helped somewhat but nothing has compared to the Chantix. They say the odds are that 44% of the people that use it will quit by the end of the 12 week program. I believe it. Even for people that -slip up- and have a smoke or 2 through the 9th week are included in that group. Pretty good odds if you ask me. The only side effect i-ve had is an upset stomach a couple of times but it wasn-t that bad and i think it was probably my own fault. You are supposed to take it after eating and with a full glass of water and i took it before eating. The price has came down considerably from when it 1st came out. It-s still expensive but not really anymore so than the cigarettes. Roughly $100 for a 30 day supply but if you smoke a carton of cigarettes a week that actually cost more. And if you have insurance you can get it for practically nothing. I have actually heard of some people only using it for 3 or 4 weeks and then just quit the pills and the cigarettes and have done just fine. I plan to stay with the 12 weeks and see from there. For some people that have quit they recommend another 12 weeks just to be sure. Good luck to you.
After two years I quit cold turkey for about three months. Just make that commitment and don-t look back. The girlfriend ended up being a cheating whore so I turned to ciggs for comfort as they calm me. I think I-ve been smoking for almost four years, with a spot of a few months.

You could always cut back slowly. I suggest just being cranky and quitting cold turkey.
I did everything and -quit- at least 6 times before it took. I tried cold turkey a long time ago. Then went back to it. i used hypnosis and it failed. I finally made some tough rules for myself. mainly no smoking in the house ( it got hard when it was 10 or lower outside)
My final trial was the cigarettes just plain tasted awful. I was able to smell the smoke on my clothes and hands. It made me sick. I would wash my hands over and over again trying to get rid of the odor.I also hated the taste in my mouth and brushed my teeth all the time. I still wanted something to do with my hands. I carried a pencil and -smoked- it all the time. In other words I had it in my mouth or in my hands and handled it like cigarette.I started chewing a lot of gum. I bought cigarettes that I knew I hated.I finally said when this pack is done i am done. So the cold turkey method worked over all the pills, hypnosis etc. It-s been over 5 years now and I don-t miss it at all.
Cold turkey. Give yourself a date and stop at that very date.
First, I made a conscious decision to quit.

IT IS A CHEMICAL AND BEHAVIORAL ISSUE. I realized I couldn-t change the chemicals, except to cut down as much as possible...but, to change my behavior I decided I was too lazy to smoke!

So, I was too lazy to take my wallet out to pay for smokes.

I was too lazy to pull the cellophane off the pack.

I was too lazy to pull the paper off the top.

I was too lazy to pack the smokes by tapping them, hard.

I was too lazy to pull one from the pack.

I was too lazy to flick my bic.

See how much work, and how many decisions you have to say yes to, before you actually start smoking a cigarette.

Took about a year, but it finally worked for me, just get lazy!
How did you quit smoking? -