Any tips to help quit smoking? -

Monday, November 20, 2017

Any tips to help quit smoking? -


I-ve been smoking for four years now, and I-ve had asthma my whole life. I know, not a smart thing to pick up. Anyways, what are some little things I can do that will help make it easier for me to quit?
And I don-t really want to hear about how bad smoking is, I already know. Thanks.
You have to value your health, your family, and your life over the comfort of smoking. Think about it. It smells bad. feels bad, everything about it is just bad. its just gross. I have never done it but the point was drilled home one time when I brought this gorgeous girl back to my house in san francisco. things got a little hot and heavy then I remember the taste... my god I wanted to throw up. not kidding. I was seriously like get out of my house. Anyways, here is a tactic I like using. I use it for being lazy but it can be applied to this too. Every time you even so much as THINK about having one, you have to discipline yourself, so say, go to the gym instead. Or do something creative or productive, try a new recipe, email your friends, etc. just stop. there is no -future date- to stop. Your last cigarette was... now. PERIOD. end of story. Throw them out this is your life you are talking about. Not a game.
I smoked for about 7 years and had tried to quit by cutting back and by the patches and gum and such but the problem with those is they continue to feed your addiction continue to feed your body nicotine so it doesn-t work.....I quit cold turkey about 2 years ago I knew I would be moody and want cigarettes so I went and got my favorite hard candies at the store and gum....I planned a weekend with nothing to do.....so I stayed in my room the whole weekend and tried to sleep it off would take a Tylenol with pm to help me sleep.....it takes 48 hours for nicotine to get out of your system completely.....if you make it that 48 hours everything else is just a mind control thing with you wanting them not a addiction issue.....I learned to stay busy and stay away from people that smoked so I wouldn-t be tempted to.....about a year ago I was under a lot of stress and bought a pack of cigarettes......well I tried to smoke one and it tasted awful so tried another and same thing....I ended up giving the pack away and couldn-t do it cause they tasted horrible....Good luck!!! hope it helps
1) Make smoking as painful as possible

If you have failed to give up smoking it’s quite possible that you have not attached enough pain to the habit and hence you keep going back to it. We will do allot in life to avoid pain so why not leverage this to help you quit. So have a think right now, what’s the most painful thing about smoking? is it the health problems or the smelly clothes? You need to decide. If you can’t find one try going to visit a few cancer victims and seeing how things turn out for smokers. Whatever it takes. Continuing smoking has to be as unattractive an option as possible.

2) Make the non smoking you very attractive

You also need to look at the benefits of being a non smoker. There are many but find whichever is the most attractive to you. Is it being able to see your kids grow up? Being able to run up the stairs? Whatever it is latch on to it and let it guide you. It will keep you off the smokes as you continue along.

3) Take action

Remember that nothing in life will get done until you make the decision and put things into place. You have to stop putting off the idea of quitting and finish up now. Allot of people put off so many decisions in life put putting this one off could kill you so decide that you want to be a non smoker today and be it.
hi rowan..

congratulations on your decision to quit... that-s a big deal, good luck on that!!! after trying to quit a number of times, what finally worked for me was getting involved in a support group... i am a member of nicotine anonymous and attend meetings both locally, and on line.. on line voice meetings are as close as your computer, and your welcome to attend while still smoking!!

Nicotine Anonymous is a Non-Profit 12 Step Fellowship of men and women helping each other live nicotine-free lives. Nicotine Anonymous welcomes all those seeking freedom from nicotine addiction, including those using cessation programs and nicotine withdrawal aids. The primary purpose of Nicotine Anonymous is to help all those who would like to cease using tobacco and nicotine products in any form. The Fellowship offers group support and recovery using the 12 Steps as adapted from Alcoholics Anonymous to achieve abstinence from nicotine.
I recommend cutting down gradually until your quit date. I did this. I cut down to half a pack. I did this for three months. I smoked by the puff, not by the cigarette. I took only the amount of nicotine that was necessary to satisfy my urge to smoke and put the rest of the cigarette out.

After doing this for three months I quit cold turkey.

Now I-m eating more candy to distract me but its been 10 months. I have urges but they don-t last more than a second or two. If they-re lasting more than that then you-re concentrating on the cigarette. Don-t do it. Concentrate on something else.
u need to quit cold trukey....thats the best way...or u have to take some pills so if u take them u will not feel like smoking......watch a lot of videos on youtube....because on you tube people share their sucess stories....good luck to u...god bless u
buy the electronic cigarette water vapor gives you same feeling as a cancer stick without the cancer i quit cold turkey
Quitting smoking is a combination of factors. The most important one (IMO) is your comittment to quitting, no matter what. If you don-t really want to quit, and by that I mean, are you really ready to pay the price, (because there is a price...there ain-t no free lunch), and if the answer honestly is no, don-t waste your time trying.

Let me insert here, I smoked for 40 years, and quit cold turkey 16 years ago. Been there and done that. Terrible experience. Don-t want to do that again. And I-m not going to utter the old cliche, -if I can do it, you can do it-. Because that-s simply not true. What I did, and what you can do, are two entirely different situations. The potential is certainly there, which is to say, -it CAN be done. But what -can- be done has little to do with what -will- be done.

We lie to ourselves all the time. Because we are weak. We are human, and to be human is to have weak resolve, weak follow thru, weak sustainability, weak consistency, weak commitment. And an unwillingness to do what it takes to achieve a goal.

(I-m trying not to get -preachy-. I hate that...some goody two shoes demagogue looking down his holier than thou nose, telling you, he did it, now you do it. Not that simple by a wide margin)

If you-re like 99% of smokers trying to quit, you-re going to need help. Especially if you-ve been smoking longer than, oh,.....six months or so. Big Tobacco puts 4000 ingredients in every cigarette to get you hooked and keep you that way.. Nicotine gets the blame for most of it, and its not really the problem. Addictive? Yes. But it-s the other 3999 ingredients that do it to you.

Oh, and don-t buy into the theory that once you-ve quit for a month, your cravings are over. I had cravings 3 years after I quit. I used to tell anyone who would listen, I can start again today, and that was ten years after I quit. The stuff they put in cigarettes is incredibly powerful.

So how to quit, and make it stick? By now you know of or have tried the gum, the patch, the prescribed drug, yadda yadda yaddas. And they didn-t work. Why? A) you weren-t really commited to quitting, and/or, b) quitting smoking is quitting a -process- (my word). And you couldn-t handle not having the -process-. -

-Process- I define as, reaching for your cigarette pack, pulling one out, lighting it, taking a long deep drag, exhaling, and viewing the beautiful blue cloud of smoke. That-s what smoking is really all about...the -process-. So what does a patch give you...a reduction of nicotine. But what about the rest of the process? Your hands still don-t have anything to do. There-s nothing to reach for, after a meal, or getting in the car, or ordering a drink at a bar. The patch or the gum or the drug don-t offer anything that includes the rest of the -process-. Errrrggggh. Failure. Back to smoking.

There is a better way. It-s new, but its wonderful because it works. BUT ONLY IF YOU MAKE A SOLID COMMITMENT TO QUIT, NO MATTER WHAT. You better hear me, Tyrone. Don-t bullshit yourself, the public or anyone else. Do you, or don-t you, want to quit smoking?

-Yes-, you say? OK, let-s just see if its -yes- Are you willing to stop buying cigarettes today? Yes? OK, do it, you-ve ALREADY BOUGHT YOUR LAST PACK.(and have NONE hidden anywhere close by)

Are you willing to stop reaching for that pack in your shirt pocket, jeans, or purse? Yes or no? Don-t lie to yourself. Do you want to quit or not? I have an easy solution, but first you have to get your head around quitting. You either want to quit, or you don-t. There IS NO MIDDLE GROUND. If you have a built-in hedge, you are lieing to yourself. So let-s not waste each others- time.

Are we agreed, yes, you really, really want to quit? And will do what it takes (within reason) to get it done? OK, let-s move forward. Here-s the solution to the problem. And before you say, -that-ll never work- you damn well better try it. Because this works better than anything, and I mean ANYTHING, else on the market.

If you-ve never heard of electronic cigarettes, it-s time to get up to speed. Invented by the Chinese 5 years ago, electronic cigarettes are emerging as THE solution for smokers to quit. Why? Lots of reasons. There is no tobacco in e-cigs. Therefore, none of the carcinogens, tars, and other addictive junk Big Tobacco puts in real cigarettes.

E-cigs look like real cigarettes, they -smoke- like real cigarettes, including the nicotine -hit- , the inhaling, exhaling, and the -smoke- (not really...looks like cigarette smoke but its actually harmless water vapor).

Propyline Glycol and Nicotine are the only two chemicals that matter in e-cigs. The nicotine has to be there, otherwise these things would never sell squat. But the important difference is, the user can select the level of nicotine they want to inhale (normally 0 to 16 mg). This is what enables the cigarette smoker to quit.

The -process- remains in place, but without the tars and carcinogens, and a
Any tips to help quit smoking? -