For people whove quit smoking successfully- what did you do? -

Wednesday, July 20, 2005

For people whove quit smoking successfully- what did you do? -


Im trying to quit smoking....I-ve been slowly weening myself off of them, but im just not sure if this is gonna work..

need advice.
I quit smoking 6 years ago this April 19th and can-t believe that I was ever a smoker. I used to smoke more than a pack a day and I LOVED it. What I found worked for me when I decided I didn-t want to do it any longer (and that is KEY...YOU have to decide for YOU...not for anybody else) is the following. I played a game to start with. I said -Okay, I am out of cigarettes and will need one in the morning or I will be running around like mad getting to the store before work. - and then I thought -Or...maybe I won-t buy a pack...Hmmmm...maybe I should try to not smoke tomorrow morning- So that is what I did. And then when I hadn-t smoked or bought a pack by lunch I challenged myself to get to dinner without a cigarette. And then bedtime too just to see if I could get through one day. I viewed as just testing the waters and seeing what it might be like for a day. When that worked, I tried for another day...then another. For the first three or four days I approached it not like I was definitely going to quit and declaring it to the world. Rather, my approach was to think -I will try not to have one today but I give myself permission to have one if I want to-. Then, after about 5 days I figured that I was over the physically difficult part of the addiction so they I -decided- that I was definitely quitting...and then it got a bit tough. What worked for me then was to get out of my habits. I went to visit friends out of town for a couple of days and that got me away from my habits. Finally, and what I think worked best, was that I replaced one addiction with another addiction...running. I had NEVER run before that in my life and I started doing it every time I was feeling an urge for a cigarette (better than eating to stop the cravings). It ended up working amazingly well to just change my cigarette addiction for a healthy lifestyle. I basically swung the completely opposite direction and became super healthy. I think people with addictive personalities can latch onto anything to be addicted to and so be conscious and choose something for you. I ended up losing 60 pounds and have run two marathons. Another thing is to have a reward in mind once you reach a certain number of days being smoke free...So, in short

(1) Try it out as just a test for a morning, afternoon, day, two days, etc.
(2) Find a way to distract you once (1) starts to work
(3) Find another addiction to replace smoking
(4) Realize the benefits of what you will be getting (healthy lungs, ease walking up stairs...you will never realize how much you stunk until after you are not a smoker any more)

Good Luck!
What I did was to go cold, the act of having a smoke is a ritual, So this act needs to be replaced.
When you want a smoke do something else with your hands, this is an area to work with first.
Need more help get back to me and I-ll help you along .
Good luck, when your off you-ll smell a-lot better and you-ll wonder why you ever started.
I used the patch. I didn-t wean myself. I slapped on that patch and said -I am now a non-smoker- . I didn-t say -trying- to quit, I said I HAVE quit.
Yeah it was tough because I smoked a pack+ a day of Marlboro Red but I just made a decision to STOP.
i was a smoker for 15 years. what i did was i got a quit smoking partner.... (he didnt end up quitting but....thats a different story) we set a date that we wanted to quit. it was within like a month... the day we quit we took what was left in our cigarette pacs and broke them all in half and put them in the trash.

also drinking alcohol and smoking cigarettes is one feat i can not get past. if i drink and others are smoking... i want a cigarette bad--- i usually give into these cravings but i remind my self that just cause i had cig while drinking does not mean that i want to smoke on an every day basis.

it has been since october 2006 for me, and the longer i go the more i hate it.... it took me a month to really not think about it any more, i used hard candy to suck on, and i also gained 20 lbs (which usually is a side effect of getting healthy) after about 6 mos, my body went back to normal-but it took alittle work to watch what i was eating (i didnt work out too hard, did a little running but that was it.

in colorado we have a quit line and they do counceling sessions over the phone and they send you the patch for free.... you should see if there is any thing in your area like that

**i have not had one cigarette sober since october 2006**
Try just stopping don-t buy them and just quit it worked for me but I only smoked for 2 years. It seems hard but eventually the cravings will go away.
Good luck
well try a new habit,this time a healthier one.Stop smoking for a few days and sooner or later your will probably eventually stop smoking.
I congratulate all such persons who could quit smoking . I know how difficult it is to do so. I am glad that every day I find another is added to my list of non smokers.
You also can . Just vow not to smoke from this day . Pray and it works . Never give in so easily . Never get tempted even if friends request you just for once. When you decide to withdraw from smoking it has total and you have to punish yourself , rebuke yourself if you fail the first day or after the first week. Be confident , raise your mental ability with determination. If you can remain without smoking for just for a week , I bet , you are sure to be a -winner--. Don-t get tempted to oblige anyone at any party or on being offered by anyone.
I pray for you and I am sure , you will be able to give up smoking in no time. Gradual withdrawal technique hardly works. It has to be total withdrawal on and from a day onward.
God Bless.
For people whove quit smoking successfully- what did you do? -