How do you quit smoking? -

Saturday, July 2, 2005

How do you quit smoking? -


I don-t smoke. But I know someone who smokes very often (a relative). And I told her that smoking is bad but she won-t understand. Yes I know that smoking is very hard to quit, but it-s possible. Any ways I can help her?
If she does-nt want to quit smoking it will be impossible to force her. Maybe you could give her some statistics showing how deadly it can be to help change her mind. Good Luck ! This site has some info that may help
try the patch
umm.........its her dicision dude so stop buggin
Everyone must come to that decision by themselves. Nothing you can do so don-t try, you-ll only look pushy.
Encourage her but stop telling her how bad it is for her.

My husband quit once for a while, started up again because he was hanging out with too many people that smoked. He did a church remedy.

A big glass of orange juice with a teaspoon of cream of tartar in it. Lots of vitamin C. And carr yaround a trial/travel size of scope. Anytime there is a crave for a cigareete, rinse and spit. This works very well.

YOu can also hang out at places where no smoking is aloud so her smoking is cut down a bit when you are around. little things like that can help. The less they smoke, the easier it is to quit smoking.
when the cigarette gets to the butt, stop smoking it.... it-s that easy
If she wants to quite, i was told that the best thing to do is drink water all the time. It helps to cleanse the body of all the toxins and also gives you somthing to do when you have a craving. Bottled water everywhere you go, thats the answer.
I used the patch, and so far so good. I have learned that not until I wanted to quit, did I quit. I tried quitting for my husband and family but it never happened. Then I decided that I would quit, and I did. Good luck.
I did it with my doctors help. He gave me Wellbutrin and it worked really well. But you have to really want to quit
She will never stop just cause YOU want her too, and I-m sure she already knows exactly how bad it is for her but doesn-t really care enough to quit. She-ll quit when SHE wants. When she gets tired of not being able to breath very good or coughing a lot in the mornings. Until then there-s nothing you can do about it.
PS-my Grandma lived to be 87 and smoked and drank. She eventually died from complications of having surgery for breast cancer. I admit she was a lucky smoker
If she-s not ready to quit, then there-s really nothing you can do. I just quit smoking on Memorial Day weekend, and I assure you it was because I wanted to quit on my own. I-d heard all the nagging - lectures, and nobody was telling me anything I didn-t already know. They could talk -til they were blue in the face, and I-d just turn my deaf ear to them. I understood what the consequences were. But I needed to acquire that inner resolve to be able to do it on my own. I finally accomplished it when I got really sick - tired of all the bronchitis, wheezing, low energy, etc. I had to tell myself -Enough is enough!- because I was too stubborn to listen to anyone else.

I have a feeling your relative understands. But please understand it-s a very difficult habit to break. She-ll quit when she-s ready. If not, then if it bothers you, set boundaries for when you-re together (for example, you can ask her to not smoke inside your home).
u cant because she is not willing to stop.if she means that u can use nicotine gums which makes like a substitution of it to smokers.so to make her,herself quit this try to show pictures of people already effected and organs effected by smoking u can make her really think about this.
The patch has worked on many ppl I know, those who didnt use it died from smoking.
the patches and nicotine gums can be very effective..but she has to want to quit first.
No, its like any other addiction. They will only quit when they want to. You need to learn to love and accept that person for who they are and not -Down- on them because they do something you don-t approve of. We are a society built on judging each other so badly. Everyone has some sort of problem they are attributed to in one form or another. Just relax and go with the flow, you will live alot longer and more productive life that way!
You can-t change anybody. They will never going to stop.
Have them try the nicorette gum
perseverance
Quit cold turkey. I did and I have not smoked for 4 years. Find something to keep busy so you don-t think about smoking. It-s dumb but I did Jig Saw puzzles a lot!
the gum has really helped my aunt
I quit 26 years ago after smoking for 13 years...was up to 2 1/2 packs a day. The method I chose was to wait one urge for a cigarette...then wait two urges..then wait three urges...ect. Eventually, (about 30 days), I was down to the decision of buying one more pack or not. Went to the store, the grocer said -the-re all good-...I have not bought or smoked a cigarette since AUG 80-.
What tilted the balance was to make the decision I wanted to quit..then asked God for the strength to do so...I have to give God the credit.
Exercise, and once you-ll realize how important it is to breathe when you can-t you-ll wanna stop. Seriously
Don-t smoke. It is the only way.
You cant, she has to want to quit herself
But you could show her pitures of what her organs will look loke after many years of smoking
Nope, quite honestly there-s not a darn thing you can do, they will quit IF THEY want to, not because YOU want them to.
Don-t light cigarettes.
well i think that you should try not seeing anybody smoke so u want think about smoking don-t u think then u will quit and it will be all over by then
You can only encourage her but she needs to be the one who wants to stop smoking. If you can convince her that she thinks its bad and wants to stop then you can work with her on ways to quit. I know hypnosis has worked on a few people I know.
How do you quit smoking? -