How can you quit smoking when you really dont want to but have to? -

Thursday, July 21, 2005

How can you quit smoking when you really dont want to but have to? -


My Dr. told me I have to quit. I am taking the drug Chantix and it really works. I-ve gone 6 days without smoking but I still really want to. I-ve smoked for 32 years so that in it-s self is amazing.
Congrats!!
I just finished the Chantix 2 weeks ago and am so far a successful quitter after having smoked for 19 years.

You-ve gone 6 days and that-s HUGE!!! You-re over the hump and the fact that you still want to smoke is totally normal. You will probably want to smoke for months, maybe years! Over time you will want to smoke less and less frequently. You-ll get used to it.
The best thing you can do is to remind yourself that you-ve gone 6 days without smoking!! Tomorrow will be 7! The next day will be 8!! Do you really want to waste all that time by sneaking in a cigarette?? You-ll have to start all over again! Make it a challenge to do just one more day, then another, then another! YOU CAN DO IT!!
At 6 days, you-re probably at the point where you have tons of nervous energy. I decided to put that energy to good use, I found a local gym that offered a 2-week free trial membership, and I went everyday for those 2 weeks. I learned how to exercise and used that energy for something positive.

After not smoking for 6 months, I can tell you that once you get here, you will feel AMAZING!!! Your breathing will feel -clean-. You-ll wake up without coughing and hacking, you-ll have TONS of energy. You have to want it though, because the Chantix isn-t going to do it all by itself. It helps, but you have to want to not smoke!! Force yourself... you won-t be sorry.

Best of luck to you!!
If you wanna live, ..you-ll quit, period.
Its a no brainer really.
i smoked for 23 years, ...a pack a day, and this dec will be 11 years...since i quit...and its the best thing i ever did. You just have to do it ....
i think the pills and patches are ...all b.s.....for the simple reason, that, ...yeah ok, you quit.....(though i think it psychological, thinking a pill or patch is making you quit)...but the pills..??...well they give you a bunch of other health problems down the road.
I have been taking care of people that are dying for 28 years.....many whom have lung cancer, from smoking.....and emphazima...etc....Perhaps you-d like to come to work with me??
I smoked for about 12 years myself. There is no easy answer but surprisingly the answer is simple. JUST DON-T SMOKE. It falls down to the will power you half to have to help you get better and be healthier. If there was a pill or a proven technique half the world that does smoke wouldn-t be smoking right now.
I know this is not easy though. Find some friends that are on board with you not smoking and that will support you. Your family might help you also. Take up a hobby that you can do when you really want a cigarette to help distract you, might help. Gum chewing maybe or straw biting or pen biting. Always carry a pen in your hand to keep them busy. There are several distraction techniques you can try and hobbies and the like. In the end though it comes down to will power and the want to live a better life style and be healthier epically when you grow older.
If there is a will there is a way ...thinka bt all the bad things that will happen!
Gradual is best. Just slow it down until you stop. Make rules about where you can smoke and keep limiting yourself until you just give it up.
well if u been smoking for that long then i think maybe u just like the habit of smoking...im sure that when u get the habit of not smoking then u-ll be thankful u quit! =)
For that drug to work you have to WANT it too. You aren-t going to be able to quit without the right frame of mind.
well congratulations on the 5 days. The thing is you have to want to quit. You have to know that smoking is affecting your health and your loved ones. Smoking kills. Second Hand Smoke kills. No one can force you to stop. Its your perogative. Hope you do the right thing.
Good Luck.
Find a new more healthier Addiction or a hobbie to keep your mind off it
that great! congratulations on the 6 days! it-s only real bad the first couple of weeks, so hang on there for a few more days and i promise you it gets easier.
you may still miss it of course, but it will be easier to say no. just keep away from people who smoke
Just stick with it!
Chantix is what helped me too, and I-m at 7-1/2 months now. It *does* get easier. (I smoked for roughly as long as you, maybe even a little longer.)
Give it time, Chantix will start making you not want to smoke the 2nd week-3rd week.
think of the severe health factors
electric shock ur self wen u have a fag as punishment
How weird you-re asking this. I have a similar problem: the only real difference is that I don-t have to quit. I take birth control, so I SHOULD, in theory...

I don-t really smoke at all anymore - not like I used to. I only smoke if I-m around my cousin - we-re like best friends, and when we get together, all we do is gossip, smoke, and have a drink. I don-t smoke any other time. I haven-t completely quit because I just don-t WANT to yet. I think, in your case, (providing you talk it over with your doctor first) it might be ok to have one eveyr once in awhile, as you gradually start to realize that you DON-T really need those things anymore. As time goes by, you-ll:

-rely on them less in or after stressful situations.
-rely on them less for comfort.
-rely on them less as a habit.
-enjoy not smelling like a cigarette all the time.

But 6 days is good! Its a start! Give yourself a break every once in awhile, though, as you wean yourself off. And convice yourself of the less obvious perks of not smoking. You can quit eventually, and so can I dammit! LOL
The nicotine is out of your system in 3 days, so now you must deal with the pyschological conditioning. Chew on gum, carrot sticks, take a shower when the cravings are real bad. Avoid triggers, like coffee or alcohol, and go for wlks after meals. It-ll help
eat those atomic fire balls thats what stoped my mom to quite smoking and she had been smoking 4 a while.
I just made it a month with out smoking with no help from anything (cold turkey) I smoked for 34 years you can make it
gOOD fOR yOu!
hmmm.... just try... theres a gum thing 4 it... ask ur dr. bout it..
GOOD LUCK!
1) unhealthy
2) It will take time to quit
try to use a couple less every week so then your body will aort of adjust and then you will quit, or join a group that helps with that kkind of stuff
eViE
well, i think u should just try really hard, think of all the bad things that would happen if u continue smoking, also go and watch some picture of how the cigarettes are made and how ur lungs will be like if u continue
Its admiral that you are doing so well! For me it-s a hand to mouth thing. Get some peppermint sticks and use them for the hand to mouth thing. 1 stick can last all day so it-s not that much sugar. Good luck.
well try those nicotine patches with will power they will work good luck
I-m having a bit of a stuggle with this at the moment because I enjoy smoking but have many reasons not to. It-s dificult when the people around you smoke but the best things to do are:

*Don-t smoke socially. If your friends or co-workers are going out for a smoke, DON-T join them, as you will be tempted.

*Find a healthy substitute. E.g. When you-re craving, have a glass of water or a handful of nuts/fuit salad etc

*Drill into your head that you hate smoking. Every time someone lights up, try to feel disgusted... think about your lungs becoming black and shriveled, or your blood clotting, or trying to breathe/survive if you get emphysema/cancer. (This one-s easy for me as my grandfather just passed away from cancer last week).


In my experience, -cutting down- does NOT make quiting easier. The best thing to do is just go cold turkey and be STRICT with yourself. Be a cigarette nazi! DO NOT buy them or be anywhere near them.

If you slip after a few weeks and decide to have one, you-ll probably start to hate them as you will get a headache/bad taste in your mouth/want to fall asleep. These are the symptoms you don-t notice as a smoker, but once you are a non-smoker for a while, it-ll get easier and easier.

Good luck!
STOP!!!
DAMN IT!
IF YOU CARE ABOUT YOUR LIFE YOUR HEALTH YOU WOULD STOP OR HAVE NEVER EVEN STARTED!!!!!!!

i suggest a bracelet that you can snap or trade hands every time you start or get the urge to smoke.
GET GUM FROM YOUR DOCTOR THAT HELPS YOU QUIT AND TRY YOUR BEST SMOKING CAN REALLY HEART YOU
How can you quit smoking when you really dont want to but have to? -