How did you quit smoking? -

Tuesday, August 1, 2006

How did you quit smoking? -


I would like to try to quit and would like to know what has worked for everyone else. What did you do and how long has it been since you quit?
willpower

smoked for over 30 years , tried many times to stop

but the only way you can stop is if you - really - want to

none of those gums or patches will wok unless its what you - really - want to do

been off them now for 18 months

hope you make it

all the best
Ian
I used an old method of spacing the time between cigarettes.
The first day I smoked one every hour.
The next day one every two hours
then three hours
then one in the morning, one after lunch and one after dinner
then the last day, one in the morning and I quit.

I had to crumple up the remaining cigarettes and throw them away for the closure part of it.

I quit in December 1977 - 29 years ago.
I quit 20 years ago and I kept ice cold water near at all times and everytime I craved a cig I drank it. it worked and I did not gain weight. it-ll be tough but you can do it I was a smoker (pack A day) for 19 years GOOD LUCK.
my friend quit smoking (she drink a lot of water and eats a lot of candies sometimes the nicotine candy)
Cold turkey. I smoked since I was 15 and tried to quit so many times using pills, patches, gum and acupuncture. Woke up one day coughing up a lung (I am only 31) and just thought how pathetic am I?

It was hard, but mind over matter. Cold turkey is the only way I could do it. Good luck!
Go and stay with non smokers, not left with much choice then. Works for me every time.
I used the gum and at first it was very hard but after about a week I craved the gum instead lmao and then I began addicted to gum for a short while lol. I quit earlier this year.
A bad case of the flu along with my asthma and it-s been 7 years since I quit...

Probably won-t work for you?!?!
gum
There is no way to do it slowly like people say, but I quit!
when I found out I was pregnant, I was barely 2 wks pregnant, but I came out of the office, gave the cigarette pack to my brother-in-law and said -here, I won-t be needing these anymore- and that was it. I quit cold turkey. I felt like I needed them for about a week, but I just didn-t do it and that was in 1993. I now have a healthy 14 yr old! Good luck, I know some people have a hard time with it.
In 1970 at 18 I thought it was so adult to smoke. I quit very soon after 24, when I was sober, smelled the terrible smoke on my clothes, my hair, saw my dirty teeth. In short, I was disgusted with the whole thing. Oh yeah, along they way, mistaking you new beer for one that somebody used as an ashtray also was disgusting too.Its bee over 32 years. My kids being born had something to do with it too, not to mention the cost. Milk vs. cigarettes and beer? Hummm? Kids first. Never regretted quitting.
I got a punch on the stomach 20 years ago by my older brother, so I quit while he continues until now. He said, I don-t want you to be addicted to cigarette like me. Thanks bro.



http://www.mathalino.com

try chewing gum, n they sell this patches to stop smoking, sum say it works.
Heart attack last Sept. 25. Doctor told me to find another doctor if I didn-t quit. So, I quit cold turkey.

A friend of mine saw a hypnotist that specializes in stop smoking, cost him $200, worked. He was a chain smoker.
I work in a doctor-s office and there is a new medicine called Chantix that alot of people have used and have been very successful with it. Good luck. That is a hard habit to break!!
chantix....3 or 4 months
Just keep telling yourself your going to quit I think its all in your head to smoke and them you get used to it
It has been 2 months since I quit smoking. For six months I worked at cutting down, I went from and pack a day slowly all the way down to one a day. It really makes you think about which cigarettes you like the most and which ones you are just smoking because your bored. I was stuck a 5 a day for a while and rally had to push my self to go lower, I found that limiting the amount of cigarettes in my pack kept me on track. Then finally when I was down to one, I just figured I would try and go a weekend without one, and kept adding days on till finally I realized I could stop and I haven-t had one since. I still have craving every now and again, but I feel great. Sucking on candy always helped with the cravings, the gum just made me feel sick. Also having a great support system helps. Good luck, you are making the right choice, and trust me it is not going to be easy, but you will be so happy you did.
I-ve been able to smoke for quite a while (since 14 I think) and I-ve never had the urge to smoke; only when someone else is with me. I consider a very valuable social skill and you should cut the habitual smoking but not go totally -free.- The only reason I smoked was to prove that addiction for ME doesn-t exist and I haven-t touched a cigarette for half a year until now where everyone-s off winter break and old friends gather together to have a puff. Smoking alone is not cool and the biggest indication of addiction. All you have to remember is what it does to you. It makes me unable to hump a mile without stopping and make my d*ck limp and all I had to do was look at the effect it had on my body and I would stop.
I just felt like quitting one day....You know when you-re eating thanksgiving dinner, - you eat so much you-re just full - done? That-s how I felt, just...Done. I knew the cravings would come back so I got the patch. I went home - eventhough I didn-t want to smoke, I had seven left in a pack, - I smoked six of them back to back (just saved the last one for some reason...I still have it..never smoked, I just felt I needed to keep it) After smoking those six, I waited a few hours - put the patch on, - did everything I could to forget about it. I started working out like crazy, - doing a lot of running - bike riding. Good luck, - I hope this helps you. Any questions, just email me, it-ll be the best feeling in the world when you do quit!
Hi - congrats on the effort!

I quit in early summer. What helped:

- My boyfriend quitting just before me, so no comfy cigs at home - had to go outside.

- My city changed the smoking laws at the same time - energy and impetus in the air; again, no comfy indoor smokes.

- A combination of the patch and the gum. I-d tried the patch once, half-heartedly. Still wasn-t committed to quitting at that time, and had/have an oral thing going on... The second time around, and on the advice of a smoking cessation programme, I supplemented the patch with 2 mg gum. I chewed it ALL THE TIME. Was on the patch 5 weeks, on the gum for months. I-ve since moved to regular chewing gum, and still use WAY too much of that, but I-m not smoking!!!

- I joined a gym at the same time, to do something to control cravings. It helps.

- Working on perceptions helped bigtime. Connecting smoking with negative things, and not smoking with desirable things.

For me, smoking started LOOKING like something boring, uneducated, classless people did. (I kept a mental note of how many big brother contestants smoked, as was in uk at the time; make your own comparison if it helps.)

Smoking is a way to try to look sophisticated/older when you-re 13 - my age when I started - it-s really sad if there-s no better way to be adult once you can vote.

I tried to connect not smoking to the -me- that existed before I tried so hard to confound my life in various ways. Pink lungs = bright and shiny person. It meant change, optimism in broader ways.

Alan Carr-s book helped in that regard, even if it is loaded with logical flaws, etc. One line of thought there was this - when you-re born, your body is what it is, a whole. Smoking, though, introduces a new, perverse need, which when filled, is toxic. I wanted to return to my perfect self.

- Vanity. Smoking is really bad for your skin. Pushes wrinkles ahead of schedule, makes your skin and teeth yellow, slows healing so you-re left with scars.

Hope this helps, good luck!!!
well..you could try reducing the number of cigarettes bit by bit or chew bubblegums!
got drunk felt terrible the next day and it helped me quit...
Never started. Filthy.
How did you quit smoking? -