How do i quit smoking? -

Saturday, December 22, 2007

How do i quit smoking? -


i really want to stop smoking i thought i could quit cold turkey but it is harder then i thought it would be i get really irritable any suggestions or experiences that worked for someone?
I tried all of the patches, the gums, etc. And all I ended up with was an addiction to the patch and gum. I finally ended up quitting cold turkey. (6 years long now, thank you very much!) You will get over the irritable thing. It takes a couple of weeks. So try not to plan any family reunions or first dates until it passes. I found it best to busy myself with other things....I planned a day trip to a local lake, went shopping...ALOT!...went to the movies, etc. I basically went places that I would not normally smoke. Then came home and went straight to bed...no matter the hour. You need to give it some time to get the nicotine out of your system.

Buy some bubble gum!! Everytime you get the urge, crack that stuff as loud as you can!!

Good luck!! I-m sure you can hang in there.
Cold turkey works. Just bear with it. Get some hard candy to keep on hand to help with the urges. I have tried patches, gum, etc to quit and the only time I was able to quit was to simply throw them away and stay out of bars for a couple months.
smoke one sig, less than usually, every day, -1 -2...
stitch your lips shut
chew on stuff, pencils or pens can work for that(dont get used ones!). find a hobby so you can concentrate on that hobby, get non smoking friends to help you out. One of my friends ended up quitting cold turkey.
I used a pill to stop smoking and it really helped me also, I felt better when I drank water from a mug through a straw, (helps with the hand to mouth thing )
Both of my parents smoke. One way my mom quit was she set a date. And it was the cold turkey. She stopped on that date and through many days of goofyness. she recovered it was very weird though. When people that are addicted to nocotine on-t hvae it in thir system they act like any other drug addict that has not been taking drugs
GOOD LUCK dont give up!! :]
See your doctor. There are several options to help you quit, including a pill (ex: Chantix). If you don-t want to see your doctor, try the gum. When you quit smoking, you will inadvertanly want to replace your oral fixation of cigarettes with something else, so the gum is good because it keeps your mouth and lips busy. If you want to do the patch, I suggest buying some lollipops too. Best of luck to you!
My wife quit cold turkey for about a week. Then she decided to try the patch and that worked for her. She would wear it during the day, take it off when she went to bed. And when she went to break at work she would go for a walk instead of sitting by her friends that smoke. We also stayed out of the bar for about two months.She-s been smoke free for ten months now.
I recently quit, had my last smoke back in January of this year after smoking for 20 years.

I used the Commit lozenges as directed. I must admit, They Worked!
I am now a proud non-smoker.
Give them a try at least.
Nicotine patch or gum. Or slowly reduce your cig intake on a daily basis by 1 or 2 cigs.
always have a coff drop in your moth
Make a $100 bet with someone who doesnt think you can quit. If you loose then you weren-t meant to quit.
ya same here i been telling my self i want to quit for over a year now. wooT im not listioning to my self anymore,, im gonna try gum once i get paid $40 a box tho is insain. make sure you really want it.

smoking is bad and its diry dont let the white cigs and white boxes make you think its clean there is nothing more dirty! its gross and effects your health. every time you smoke a cig you make it harder to quit so you better quit now. and make sure you dont smoke again. if you buy smokes you have to throw away the hole pack after smoking one and then you need to buy a new pask if you want another one!
Stop buying the things, and then next time you want one, you won-t have one.
ask your doc about chantix. looks like it really works. i am doing the cold turkey thing myself. good luck and maybe i-ll be calling my doc too.
Put a rubberband around ur wrist and snap it whenever you feel u need a smoke. Also take the supplement L-Tyrosine, you can get it at gnc, it will help you adjust emotionally to quitting smoking
I went to a group called Pheonix In Lincoln, England, they helped me.
I quit using the gum, I had tried the pens and patches before and even went cold turkey a couple of times. but it was the gum that got me off!

I also had to write on a piece of paper why I wanted to stop, and I had to carry that around with me all the time, so if I ever craved one, I looked at it, and it reminded me why I wanted to stop. I have only just stopped carrying that piece of paper round with me 4 years after quitting. It said;

-Others have done it, you can do it, no-ne else is better than you! You-ll save, after, 1 year - £3,640. 3 years - £10,920. 5 years - £18,000-

I used to smoke 2 packs a day, £70 a week my habbit cost me! I was put the money to one side and after the first week buy yourself a treat, to the value of what you saved. I bought myself my favourite takeaway, and a pair of trainers. then I was told to wait for 2 weeks and buy something with the money, bought myself a dvd player and some dvd-s. then I was told to do it after 1 month of saving, booked myself a holiday with the £280 I had saved. then I was told to spend it after 3 months of saving, bought myself a motorbike! I was told that I had to save the money then make sure I spent it, it proved to be one of the clinching factors to me stopping. I had been stopped almost 5 months, I had bought tons of new stuff, I had stopped smelling like an ashtray, it was great!

also a craving only lasts for 5-10 minutes, so make sure you can be busy when a craving starts! preferably getting your hands dirty, as you-ll be less likely to smoke then.

there are places out there willing to help you quit, and my advice is to find one! I doubt i would of quit if it wasn-t for the help of Mary from the Pheonix group.

good luck, and never giver up trying
How do i quit smoking? -