I seem to sleep longer than other people and I recently quit smoking. Is this why? -

Tuesday, December 4, 2007

I seem to sleep longer than other people and I recently quit smoking. Is this why? -


I need more sleep than other people I am 38 and recently I quit smoking. Would that be a reason for it?
It could be, however as we get older some of us need more sleep than other. Put the two together and the chances are this is the reason. I am not sure what you mean by longer than others? I can sleep for 12 hours straight, but that is due to a underlying health condition, so now and again I literally just crash. If I have been energetic like today, cleaning the home, mowing the lawn then a nice two mile walk, chances are I will need 12 hours tonight and I am a smoker!
Since quitting slows down your metabolism, I would think that it definitely is a factor but other factors should be taken into consideration.
First, how long do you sleep - have you always needed more sleep than others?
Second, when did you quit smoking - how did you quit (ie., patch, cold turkey, etc.)?
I quit on September 1st (am using Chantix) and definitely needed more sleep for the first few weeks but am finding that now I sleep pretty normally again.
Could be! Cigarettes are a stimulant. Since you are not using that stimulant you are probably making up for a sleep deficit.

Congrats on quitting! In an informal survey I made a few years back people who changed their sleep habits by going to bed earlier were much more successful quiting smoking over the long haul. So do not worry about getting more sleep ... it is probably helping you to get through this drastic change in your life.

I had my last cigarette 14 years ago. I am still sleeping a little longer each night. I am no longer a owl; however I do get up very early several morning a week.
I seem to sleep longer than other people and I recently quit smoking. Is this why? -