What were somethings that you had to overcome after you quit smoking? -

Saturday, December 22, 2007

What were somethings that you had to overcome after you quit smoking? -


I quit smoking about 5 months ago... (I am so proud of myself) I feel so much healthier and a whole lot better about myself! :) It feels so weird to not get that --break- to get away from something. To deal with things! Sometimes, I get so moody.... :( I know I have to stay positive! Lol... Quiting feels so good! So would you please tell me your story! How did you learn to calm yourself? If you put on some weight did you lose it after sometime? Do you feel more alive? How has your life changed since you quit? :)
I quit smoking when I was 27. I was smoking 3 packs a day and I drank coffee by the pot. I was eating Oreos and ice cream, and otherwise snacking quite a bit through the day because the cigs tasted better after I ate,, sooooo.. I was gaining a bit of weight before I quit. I gained no weight when I quit smoking, I lost... I also had a headache everyday of my life and had gone to eye drs, chiropractors, etc.. trying to cure them.. after a few months of no smoking I realized I had no more headaches...

So one night I was getting ready to go to sleep and I heard a wheezing sound coming from my mouth.. I said no way, and put my 1/2 empty pack of cigs in my pocket the next morning so that I wouldn-t go through the crazy looking for cig buts or bumming from somebody else etc... Then I never smoked again. I did like it for the first few months when a person came around and was smoking, I could breathe their smoke and feel so good... But soon the smoke was not pleasing anymore, 6 months, a year and a half.. I don-t remember exactly. Then the smoke irritated me..

I was very busy with my retail store so I was never bored and wandering what to do with my time so I think that helped. I also quit coffee as I said, they went together and I figured it would be easier to quit smoking without the coffee. I still don-t drink coffee to this day.. 20 years later... I dreamed off and on for about 7 years that I was smoking again, I would tell myself that I was so stupid and -why did you start again after so long- I would be really upset with my self when I woke up, sometimes I couldn-t tell if it was real or a dream after a awoke. I think that I was really ready to quit and it made it very easy for me. I think that you just have to keep your mind set to the fact that you are no longer a smoker and just never take that 1st one again...

I always thought I would kill everybody around me when I quit smoking, I had a lot of stress with my business, and a wife that was a hypochondriac and a liar, I thought that I need to smoke so that I would not blow up and yell and scream, beat on people or something... But the only real problem I had was wanting to sleep all the time, I think from quitting the coffee. I got over that in a few weeks though. I didn-t kill, beat or even yell too much.... The best thing is that now at almost 50 years old I feel better and stronger than I did when I was 27. I would drive my van in to Vegas a hundred miles and when I got out I would walk across the parking lot like an old man.. Now I jump out and do two double back flips and... oh well I do jump out and walk upright...
I-m hanging on but only quit a couple months ago and my
chantix is all used up. my biggest problem is lack of will
power. i breathe much better and actually feel human ago
after 40+ years of acting like a chimney. Moody ? and how,
times i wonder if-n i can keep it up -- that-s when i concentrate
on how much better i feel and smell. did put on a litlle weight
but have started wlking in the evenings and that holds it
in check
What were somethings that you had to overcome after you quit smoking? -