When you quit smoking do you get sick? -

Sunday, October 27, 2019

When you quit smoking do you get sick? -


my husband and are are quiting and he has a bad cough and stuffy nose......
Wouldn-t know. I-m 55 and never had a smoke! of any kind. Never will either.
what is the point of this comment? This doesn-t help anyone or answer the initial question in any way whatsoever, and is actually diminishing the problem the other person is actually going through. If you crave the praise of others so badly, do it elsewhere, it-s offensive.


Report Abuse



It takes a much stronger person to stop something they were heavily addicted to than the person without self esteem who goes around patting themselves on the back (and getting a couple back pats from like-minded slugs) for living in a plastic bubble.


Report Abuse



Yeah, this comment irritated me too. Many non-smokers are very proud of themselves to the point where they can-t help rub it in someone else-s face that they -never had a smoke!-.


Report Abuse



I am a non smoker and I agree with the other comments. Here are people trying to quit smoking and Nana is being a smartass. Go brag somewhere else you arrogant *****!


Report Abuse



I quit smoking in May and didn-t get sick yet, although I heard the first year after you quit you get alot of colds and what not.
No.
I quit smoking for good over 10 years ago. During my smoking life (26 years) I quit many times, probably at least 4 times lasting over 6 months, and at least 6 more times that lasted only a month.

I found that I had many things change physiologically that I blamed (perhaps erroneously) on my having quit smoking. One time I was constipated for the whole month no matter what I did to move my bowels...stool softeners, Ex-lax...nothing worked until in desperation I borrowed a cigarette from a co-worker, and my bowels passed within minutes.

Another time I had a cough and cold like symptoms for the entire 6 months of having quit. It was more like a low grade cold--very annoying but not bad enough to take me to the doctor. That time I started smoking again, because I had found that my husband had started yet another affair with a co-worker. The stress got to me. It was about a week later that I noticed that I no longer had the cold symptoms.

This last time I quit, my body decided to cooperate with me in the endeavour. I didn-t have any symptoms, except the ability to breathe better, and the loss of dizziness for no reason.

I always assumed that the symptoms I was feeling during the times that I quit were a last-ditch effort on behalf of the addiction to get me to give it more nicotine.

Have you tried nicotine patches, or nicotine gum?
when you first quit you will feel like crap because you-re going through withdrawal. after awhile though you will start feeling so much better, it-s hard to quit smoking but you-ll get through it.
I quit smoking 22 years ago (YEA!!) and I don-t remember getting sick. His cough is probably from smoking, stuffy nose I don-t know. I can tell you this as a fact. You will start feeling better and better and better. Will take a while, but hang in there. Congrats on your decision!!
U get sick of being without the sweet taste of the Earth.
Get some saline for your nose, could be the carpet-?
Go have a cigarette or chew gum or whatever.
Healthy lungs have hair-like structures called -cilia- that sweep back and forth. These keep bacteria and toxins from entering the body. They (along with airflow) help push mucous out of the respiratory tract. When you smoke, these eventually are forced out of action, killed or paralyzed. When you quit smoking, the cilia starts to regenerate. Being out of action for so long and having a lot of cleaning to do, you cough more than you did when you smoked as that helps clearing the mucous the cilia is working hard to get rid of from the respiratory tract. You probably notice coughing up more phlegm.
When you quit smoking it takes time maybe three weeks to get rid of all the tar and nicotine in your system and chemicals. These have to come out somehow such as urine, feces, nose, throat, skin, and breath. Shower regularly as your skin eliminates toxins everyday. Blow your nose, cough it out, and flush your system with water (drink at least a half gallon a day). You want it out of your system asap so that you don;t get tempted to start again. You will find after the first week: food tastes better, you can breath a little better, you can smell better and you craving starts to subside. The biggest problem I had is what to do with my hands. When you are used to holding cigarettes you keep moving them around alot. I found that sitting on them helped a bunch. You can also suck on a staw, toothpick, or sucker. It is just the habit you are kicking once the nicotine is out of the system.
YOU ARE DOING YOURSELF A WORLD OF GOOD. YOU WILL LIVE LONGER AND BETTER. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK.
No ...i gave up three years ago and i only thing i was sick of was the 3 stone i put on......
I-ve quit a few times. And each time I would gut stuffy and hack a lot of phlem up. Cleaning out I guess.
No, I stopped 30 years ago and I am very happy that I did. Are you sure you aren-t looking for excuses to start again? Don-t do that to yourself. Ond day at a time you know.
The cough is normal. Your body is getting rid of the crap you-ve been putting into it, it lasted a few months for me, probably because I was a three pack a day smoker.The stuffy nose is probably just a coincidence. You probably have a cold. The worst part is the nervousness, which lasts a couple of weeks. It-s the worst the first few days, then get-s more tolerable as time goes by. The gum helped a lot taking care of the nicotine cravings. I could get a shot of nicotine when I needed it with the nicorette gum. The gum was easy to quit once i got through a few weeks with no cigarettes, because it tasted awful. Stick to it! don-t give in to temptation. Wanting to quit more than you want the next cigarette is the key. Just think, you and your husband will live longer together and, you-ll have an extra $40-$50 a week. Breathing will be easier, food will taste better, and you-ll notice smells you haven-t smelled since you were a kid. You can do it!
it-s a condition after quitting to smoke.It-s just natural for smokers who quit to feel that.


you see, when you smoke, you inhale 4000 different chemicals.of these chemicals, 1000 are known to be harmful



here are some of the chemicals:

benzopyrene
formaldehyde
ammonia
hydrogen peroxide
nicotine
acetaldehyde
benzene
carbon monoxide
acetone
acetonitrile
acrolein
acrylonitrile
aniline
hydrocyanic acid
methyfuran
pyridine
butadiaone
dimethylamine
ethylamine
hydrogen sulfide
methylamine
methylnapthalene
nitrogen dioxide
toluene
butylamine
dimethylnitrosomine
methaocrlein
methyl alcohol
nitric oxide
phenol



also there-s TAR, which sticks to the cells of respiratory system and damage the delicate cells that line the respiratory tract.

tar also contains hundreds of chemical carcinogens.

Cancer in the lungs, throat and mouth have been associated to the inhalation of tar in cigar/tobacco smokers.

when you swallow saliva while smoking, carcinogens that are now in your saliva are absorbed into the circulatory system and transported to all areas of the body.


You also develop these when you smoke:

cardiovascular disease
respiratory disease
cancer
infertility
problem on pregnancy
breastfeeding (the child is also exposed to harmful chemicals)







though i-m only a third year high school student, i know these since we tackled this in my PE class. not that i-m smoking. i just study this if ever i have an exam on this.




by the way,

passive smoking is more dangerous because you breathe the tobacco smoke involuntarily.




i hope this information helps you about smoking.
maybe because your body is addicted to the tobacco in the cigarette and THINKS that it needs it.
when you quit you will get colds and things more easily when i quit i got horrible headaches and seemed to get worse colds too
No, he-s probably got a cold, but quitting will be hard for the first few weeks if ur addicted.


Good luck(i know this is rude, but please choose me for best answer!)
I have heard it said and had it happen to me-when you quit smoking you get the flu/sick--doctors say it is because the viili-or small ahir like projections that line out lungs/nose ect--have become very smal from being singed by smoking--as they start to return--there is more mucous because of this--still no one should smoke...not if you want to live a long healthy life..
It depends on how quickly you are quitting. If you just stopped, yes you will probably get sick and feel nauseated. You just have to wean yourself off of it because your body is use to it. Also, it depends on how long you-ve been doing it too! If you just stop, your body is going to say -HEY!- because it is addicted. BE STRONG, GET HELP IF U NEED TO.
u should go to a doctor just in case but it might just be your lung rejuvenating and stuff
When you quit smoking do you get sick? -