For those who have quit smoking? -

Friday, March 4, 2005

For those who have quit smoking? -


I just quit smoking, it is my 3rd day.
I have been a smoker for 15 years.. back and forth. I have stopped and started many times... this time is it for me.

Anyway, I am feeling short of breath.. as though I smoked a pack before bed. I am coughing A LOT and having a tough time. I wondering if anyone has felt this way? and why?

I haven-t had terrible cravings, just more of the -habit- wanting to smoke at certian points.
The lungs are ridding themselves from all the polutants that have built up for years. A productive, chronic cough is not uncommon at this point, plus you are still so new at being a nonsmoker...Congrats by the way!
The shortness of breath or heaviness on the chest as Ive heard it described before should resolve in the next few weeks as your body gets used to the fresh air.
There is a chance some could be anxiety, if it is extra worrisome, please see your doctor.
As mentioned in some above answers, identify your triggers and try to replace your cigarette with something else, like a carrot stick when on the phone, or gum while you are driving or whatever else you can figure out.
Good Luck
Hi , first of all , good for you . I have been smoking for the past forty years - am down to 3 a day but can-t seem to let go of the ritual of smoking . I think all the coughing is alot of stuff coming up . At first I did the same thing , but after a couple of weeks my health improved dramatically which has kept me motivated . I-m still disappointed I can-t seem to let it go altogether . I-m not gonna give up though ! Oh yea , I have COPD ( chronic obstructive pulmonary disease ) . It-s a given for your future if you continue smoking - it-s like slowly smothering to death . I-ve just started a quit smoking support group on yahoo anytime you just need to just BS about it . DoOrDieNow@yahoogroups.com . Good luck !
I quit three weeks ago ..]
lungs are just now starting to feel better , give it some time
congrats
This is normal man, coughing will happen depending how much you used to smoke, its only the after effects of the tobacco, your body is craving for it, its normal to be short of breath and you will have the tendency to be moody, but if you go beyond the 1-month mark, trust me you-ll feel like a new person. So good luck buddy, give up this piece of **** once for all!!!!!!!!!!!
The coughing is absolutely normal. Your lungs are beginning to clear themselves of the buildup. They have LONGED for this day when they could get some pure oxygen into them, - they are temporarily struggling to do what they do, but they need to rid themselves of the crud in there from smoking.
The cravings are probably from your triggers. Mine were when I was drinking coffee, when I was on the phone - when I was driving. I put hard candy in those places to satisfy my hand/mouth habit.
i was smoker for 5 years only and as my newyears resolution i thought ill stop, but u cant just stop suddenly , ur chances of failing r gonna increase this way. i stopped for 3 days and i was misreble i was stairing at the people on roads smoking!

so i started after the third day but only 3 a day, so its the 10nt month of the year and i came from 12 a day to 3 a day i guess it isnt bad.

if u really craving u can smoke a half even,
its a positive step stick to it, good luck!
For those who have quit smoking? -