Quitting smoking Why does this happen when they say opposite will happen? -

Wednesday, March 9, 2005

Quitting smoking Why does this happen when they say opposite will happen? -


I was just reading that when people quit smoking they may experience restlessness or sleeplessness, however when I stop smoking I get really tired and tend to greatly oversleep I dont become angry or aggravated easily but like I said extremely worn out and tired. Is this normal?
Nicotine is a stimulant, which is why you get tired and fatigued.

Most people I know experience this to some degree - kripe, I feel asleep at my desk at work, and thats one of the reasons why I went back to it....

However - this is gonna sound strange.
Nicotine is also named after a chemical that is already in your brain - nicotinic acid - it got the name because it fit in the receptors for nicotinic acid.....and because while you smoke your body is chock full of stuff that fits its own receptors, it cuts back on producing nicotinic acid - which happens to be needed for brain function.
When you stop smoking you all of a sudden dont have a source of nicotinic acid, and it takes a while for your body to catch up to whats needed - it can take up to a full year - in that interim, people tend to be irritable, because nicotinic acid slows mental activity.


Sure. Smoking produces different effects depending on how you dose yourself. It can be both a stimulant and a depressant. If you smoked to stimulate yourself and wake yourself up, then withdrawal should have the opposite effect.
every one is different when i tried quitting i would sleep all day and gained a trckload of weight , but your body is diffrent so every one reacts differently good luck
Quitting smoking Why does this happen when they say opposite will happen? -