How can I quit smoking when everyone around me smokes? -

Monday, March 7, 2005

How can I quit smoking when everyone around me smokes? -


I-ve never felt so weak in my entire life. I want to quit smoking so badly but every time I try I only find myself obsessing on wanting a cigarette. My roommates smoke, my friends smoke and it seems like we all want to quit but end up caving for one reason or another. Does anyone have any advice that could help me?
I understand your pain. Its all about standing up for yourself. Like high schoolers, its like giving in to peer pressure, but on yourself.

I have been addicted to many things and cigarettes were the worst. If you-re a cold-turkey kind of person, try that and see how it goes. If not, bum when you are drinking alcohol ONLY (social smoker) and limit yourself to only 1 or 2 per social-smoking nites.

Here is how I did it:
1. Do NOT buy a pack of smokes. If you have them, you will smoke them. Bumming from friends and strangers constantly gets old quickly and they will eventually be annoyed.

2. Don-t even think about it. The more you think about it, the more you want one. When you think of smoking one, think about how your throat feels right then, think about gross crap like mucus and phlegm and tar... ew.

3. My boyfriend helped. He quit smoking and stayed strong while the rest of us continued. Every time I would smoke he would be very, very, very upset. He is worth more to me than smoking cigarettes.

4. Buy lots of gum.

5. When you quit, realize that it will take a long, long, long time to not want one... but even then, even my 80 year old grandmother still has dreams about wanting cigarettes and she quit 20 years ago.

6. When you do quit, you will feel ill, you will feel tired and down and cranky and pissed off and crazy. This will pass. Do not give in!

7. This next one is entirely dependent on your personality.... if you like the social habit part of things, partake in the social habit part. If it is too difficult for you to stay social without wanting to bum, then don-t partake. You may lose friends over it, but what kind of friends are those?

8. Sooner or later you won-t feel like the only one not smoking... my group of friends quit one by one... and the last one standing outside smoking felt very alone.

You can do it! You can do anything.... trust yourself.
If your friends are serious about quitting, make a pact with those who are serious and get a prescription for Chantix.

My girlfriend and I smoked for quite a long time and a few months ago we decided to make the jump and got Chantix and were able to quit completely. I can go out and drink and not even crave one. Talk to your doctor and they-d be happy to help.

As far as your friends/roommates who do smoke, try to avoid them for the short term and stay away from them while you are drinking to avoid a relapse. In time you-ll be better off and will be fine when around them and drinking. Just remember that you will be fighting this for the rest of your life, no matter how long you have quit.
champax from ur doctor gets rid of the cravings and a little bit of will power. stop now before u-ve smoked for too many years, the longer you-ve smoked the harder it gets
I THINK U SHOULD TAKE NON-SMOKING MEDICATION LIKE OTHER PEOPLE SAY GET NEW FRIENDS
You either make a pact and support each other or you move out and find new friends. Your life has to be worth this.
Hi Nathalie...

wow never felt so weak, eh, well that-s the way quitting usually is.. the friendship stuff does complicate, an already difficult situation..however the good news it is difficult, not impossible.. over the years, i have known many instances, when people have quit, while significant others continued to smoke.. most of the time the others quit, at a later date, following someones example..

myself i was a smoker for more than 40 years, the last 5 of those were spent trying to quit, one attempt after another.. the good news of course is that i did quit, and now have over 5 years nicotine free..

i found out that smoking, was too much for me, to handle alone.. i joined a support group,and was able to quit.. i have found the support of other quitters, as well as the experience of more seasoned members, was just what i needed to finally quit...

i attend nicotine anonymous meetings both locally, and on line.. on line meetings are as close as your computer.. you are welcome to attend while still contemplating a quit.. however you decide to quit good luck.. there is simply no wrong way to quit!!

Nicotine Anonymous is a Non-Profit 12 Step Fellowship of men and women helping each other live nicotine-free lives. Nicotine Anonymous welcomes all those seeking freedom from nicotine addiction, including those using cessation programs and nicotine withdrawal aids. The primary purpose of Nicotine Anonymous is to help all those who would like to cease using tobacco and nicotine products in any form. The Fellowship offers group support and recovery using the 12 Steps as adapted from Alcoholics Anonymous to achieve abstinence from nicotine.
How can I quit smoking when everyone around me smokes? -