How can i quit smoking? -

Sunday, April 2, 2006

How can i quit smoking? -


I try to stop smoking each day but i couldn-t i get headaches and i just want to have more, i know it-s addicting, that-s why i couldn-t stop, lol

i started smoking because of peer pressure, you know?

i really want to get out of this and quit smoking, any useful tips?..
i need major advice.
From my experience the most difficult time is the first month and the main problem is because such thought - Ok 1 cigarette in a day will not made me to smoke again - , but the truth is that even 1 cigarette will made you to smoke whole packet in just a week ( it was observed in 95% cases ).

For first period I can suggest some pills like Tabex , they help ( at least they worked for me ).

The main problem which you-ll have to face is not the Cigarette itself , but you need to struggle against your old lifestyle. It-s very difficult not to smoke after a good dinner , or during coffee break with friends ( especially if they are smoking ) , in Night Club and ect .

People are smoking very often not because their organism require nicotine ( in that case only 5-6 cigarettes will be enough ) , but just because they are used to .

So smoker is mainly addicted not from cigarette , but from his/her habbits .

Thats why I-ll suggest you

1. Use pills if it-s very difficult for you
2. In under any circumstances do not drink ( if you-ll do I-m sure you-ll smoke ) , and do not try even 1 cigarette
3. Completely change your lifestyle , if you feel that you can-t resist and want to smoke , just go to pool for swimming or for running ( just try be active - Do not watch Tv instead or play poker with friends )
4. Always keep your mind busy ( in order not to think about smoking )

Hope this will help you
I managed to more or less quit completely using lozenges. Its more proactive way of doing it rather than say, putting on a patch and then thats it, hope its working. Lozenges are great for when you need nicotine. you let it dissolve in your mouth against your cheek. It gives you the nicotine you need without the dangerous chemicals and crap in cigarettes. I tried champix, patches, hypnotism, inhalators, microtabs, cold turkey...the lot and never managed it for very long. This has worked for me...so i guess my advice is keep trying every different product and method and find one that works for you.
Hi
In answer to your question i can only relate -How I Quit Smoking Overnight After 40 Years!-
My story goes back 6 years, when after smoking ordinary packet cigarettes from 1- 2 packets a day (And sometimes more) for the previous 34 years, I decided to give them up and swap to hand rolling my own.

This was rightly or wrongly based on the premise that by getting rid of all the chemicals that were in an ordinary cigarette, then my body would be ok, as I was -told- that nicotine in itself does not kill you, it is all the other crap (Sorry chemicals) that they put in man made cigarettes that does the main damage.

There was none of this in a hand rolled cigarette so I was ok wasn-t I!

My rationale did not take into account the amount of actual smoke that was still going into my lungs, and also coking up my whole respiratory system, but I solved that one by being an active twice weekly squash player, so my cardio-vascular would be protected and I would be fit.
The rest of how i gave up is here at http://ezinearticles.com/?How-I-Quit-Smoking-Overnight-After-40-Years!-id=1433595

If I can do it after 40 years then so can you.

Let me know how you get on.

David
Although i do not smoke and i- am against it, you should buy patch-s, eventually stop using them and allow yourself too stop ( will power) and do something else.
Just get past 3 days and the cravings will be less severe. Also try Tyrosine which you can buy from most health food stores.
Hypnotherapy was the road I went down. It worked with me. I was amazed that it worked cos I was kinda skeptic. Heres an artles about it http://stopsmoking-danny.blogspot.com/
I smoked 13 yrs, quit twice.. first time only lasted a year. But have been smoke free for about 5 yrs now and can finally say I don-t miss it. I can even puff a cigar a couple times a year for special occasion without it starting up the craving again. So the only way that will work is cold turkey. My best suggestion is know that for three days you will feel absolutely awful. Step one, throw out the ciggies, the ashtrays, the matches, lighters.. get rid of it all, and get it out of the house.. yes.. you will think about smoking out of the garbage. Might want to put water in the packs, that is what I did. Next step you will need to map out three days when you can be in bed feeling sorry for yourself. Because you will. Lay in bed, wrap up in front of the TV. Take lots of baths because your skin is going to stink and also because it helps with the shaky bad feeling. Just know it is temporary.. it feels bad, but not as bad as lung cancer. If you don-t want to tell everybody you are detoxing from ciggies, just say you are sick. So after that, there will be a period of about one month when you will be really tempted. You have to avoid alcohol if you drink.. because it lowers your self control. This little voice in your head will say I-ll just smoke tonight with this beer and then tomorrow I-ll quit again. Doesn-t work. But after one month, you will have a lot more control. Learn to say No even when every cell of your body is trying to say yes. It does feel bad.. but if you look at it a different way.. that you are STRONG and in control of yourself, then it makes it easier. Focus on the positive, that you are doing it despite the craving, and it will help you.. Also do a lot of visualizations of yourself with healthy clear lungs and a healthy way of life. Visualize your lungs pink and healthy and enjoy just breathing several times a day. When you first quit, you will have a lot of -glop- coming up out of your lungs, and that is normal. Some people even get respiratory infections like bronchitis several times in the first couple months as the dead tissues break down and are replaced with the new.
How can i quit smoking? -