How did you quit smoking? -

Thursday, April 6, 2006

How did you quit smoking? -


What is the most effective method for smoking cessation? I am a slave to Mr. C, and I do not want to trade one bad habit for another. I have tried the patch, gum, and an anti-depressant. I always let Mr. C. convince me that I need him, and I let him back in my life. What worked for you?

This is my 5th attempt to stop. I started 22 years ago. I am heavy smoker, but I smoke very light cigarettes (friends call it grass clippings). Also, I tend to let a great number of them burn up. I think I can get past the nicotine dependence. The psychological dependence gets me every time. Please help! I want to be a former smoker.

Rain
Cold turkey IF you feel you really want to quit. Or try this site: Freedom from smoking.
Here is the link:

https://www.kintera.org/site/apps/kb/hom…


Mr. C. was my best friend too until I realized I was my best friend... Good luck!!!
I don-t smoke, but my friend and his wife did, and they tried to stop year after year and couldn-t. This is how they finally did it:

They switched to something called -American Cigarettes.- He said they were more expensive than regular cigarettes, unfiltered, and tasted awful! BUT - all they had in them was tobacco. The name brand cigarettes have chemicals in them that KEEP YOU ADDICTED to them.

Once they smoked the plain, nasty ones for about 6 months, then they slowly started tapering off, and they were able to quit! It-s been almost 2 years, and I am so proud of them.

Good luck to you - I know you can do it, too!
What really helped me was to keep a big pack of sugarless bubble gum around. Then when I needed a butt I-d have a piece of gum. Try it! And good luck!
I quit on December 20th,2005 (if it was easy, i wouldn-t remember the exact date...lol). I taper my cigs to 2 a day and quit after a week of that. What helped me is changing my habits, the time I wake up, what I do first thing in the morning and last thing at night, and yes I did refrain from hanging out with my smoking friends for a couple of months.
It was a long gradual thing for me. At first I cut out smoking inside my home, made myself go outside. Then cut out smoking in the car. I live in California so smoking in bars went out years ago and the thought of leaving my friends to go out for a smoke became silly.

Eventually I was down to 1 or 2 a day. I never smoked when I was sick with the flu or a cold so one time when I had a cold and had gone a week without smoking I thought, screw it, let-s see how long I can do this. It-s been a year, just over actually. October 1 was my year of being smoke free.

I had tried in the past and tried lots of different things. I think at some point you-re just ready and you-re better equipped to deal with the withdrawl. I stopped craving them after about 10 days.
I can-t tell you how many times I tried to quit, and then I did. I had my last cigarette at 8:38am July 2, 2002. At 9:10am, July 2nd 02 I had a major heart attack at the age of 49. I was driving on the highway at 70 miles an hour when my right coronary artery blocked 100%. I can still tell you to this day what went through my mind as I: A) struggled not to pass out, B) get the car down an exit ramp C) breath through the unbelievable pain...my thoughts were of my disabled husband and what would he do without me...of my mother who at the time was 83 and had already buried her son, husband, parents, and all of her brothers and sisters...I was/am all she has left. What about my 2 girls, had I told them everything they needed to know to be good women?
Those things kept me conscience and kept me alive. I fought like hell to live, and cigarettes tried like hell to kill me. And to think, they wanted to kill me and I-d loved them for over 20 years!! I took them everywhere with me, spent hard earned money on them, gave them fancy cases, and drew them into my body...what more did they want?? Turns out the answer is, they want your life.
How is this going to help you? I-m not sure. I-m just a woman who used to love to smoke. I LOVED it. Then I found out I love the people in my life more...I love life more. Don-t give you-re life to cigarettes. I-m sure your family would rather have you with them...I-m sure there are things you want to do yet in life. The Doc-s told me smokers who don-t get cancer get it in the head (strokes) or the heart. And don-t kid yourself, light cigs will kill you just at fast as my Kool 100-s in a box.

I have a stint in my heart now. I came out of the hospital 3 days after with no desire to smoke. But, I hedged my bets...I gave up caffeine, I walked after eating (instead of smoking), and I looked at the photo the hospital gave me of my heart during the attack, the artery closed off. It scared me off them. Oh, and my husband still smokes...doesn-t make me want one. I-m done with them.
So, I guess I told you this thinking it might help in some small way, I sure hope so. And I wish you all the best. Prayer never hurts either. Good luck!!
my dad smoked and he stopped by just not smoking. I dont how he could STOP but he did it. You have to be totally determined and feel that you really deserve to be smoke-free. To stop myself from over-eatting though, I put an ice cube in my mouth and just let it melt. I have a deep love for ice cubes now, though.
start drinking, i reccomend the expensive stuff, if not switch to boonesfarm wines
Im a smoker trying to quit, my husband is trying too. Its been 4 days now and its getting easier. We go outside when we have a weak moment and smoke a real strong cig. It makes us sick and dizzy. We have gone from 2 packs a day, to 6 cigs a day.

This is how we-re doing it, and I believe itll work. We are, if anything, cutting down our nicotine level, so eventually we wont want anymore. We are determined to kick the habit.

Everyone is different and does it a different way. Just dont give up on wanting to quit. Trying to quit and wanting to quit is a step forward. Dont beat yourself up if you fail the first time. Some ppl do it easier than others. Some ppl need more time.

My hubby and I have smoked for a very long time, 32 yrs for him, and 21 yrs for me. We-re doing much better, but havent kicked it yet. BUT WE WILL.

Keep trying gf, you can do it. I-ll say a prayer for you right now, and I wish you all the luck in the world.
every single time i would think about getting a cigarette
i would just go chew some mint flavored gum and i wouldn-t buy them and i just kept going Thur that method and i Finlay managed to quit
How did you quit smoking? -