Has anyone successfully quit smoking cigarettes after smoking for a long time? -

Wednesday, October 4, 2006

Has anyone successfully quit smoking cigarettes after smoking for a long time? -


I am 26 and have been smoking since I was 13. I have periods where I quit for a few months and even once I quit for 2 years. I want to quit for good. I-d like to hear from anyone who used to smoke for a long time and is now quit and what their secrets are. I would appreciate it very much! Thanks!
I quit -cold turkey- for over 9 years, after having smoked for about 14 years. About five years ago, my mom broke her neck, and I started smoking again from all of the stress! She never was able to get out of bed again, and passed away from lung cancer about 2 1/2 years ago. I quit again yesterday, -cold turkey-, on what would have been my mom-s birthday! This time forever! My secret is willpower, pure and simple. No tricks, no gimmicks, no gum, no patches. You have it within yourself, you just have to trust in yourself to bring it out.
I sucked on lollipops and ATE toothpicks (the peppermint ones).
Yes, I bit off little pieces, chewed them for awhile and swallowed them. I smoked for thirteen years. I do cheat occasionally (like when my baby was in the hospital) but I always feel like crap afterwards. It-s been five years since I quit, but only 2 1/2 months since my last smoke.

They also make these things that look like plastic cigarettes that you can suck on. Or try Zyban, it helps to ease the tension and anxiety.

Good luck.
I smoked on and off from 11-13, then steadily till 31. I quit a few times, but started back. This time, I have been quit for 18 months, and swear never to return to them. Everytime I think about starting again, I think about how hard it was to quit and how much better I feel now. When I smoked, I couldn-t run 1 mile, now I-m doing my first 10k (6.2 miles). I could never do that if I still smoked. Think about how much healthier you will be without the cigarettes. That-s what worked for me.
I SMOKED FOR 20 YEARS - GOT BRONCHITIS (?) AND COULDN-T INHALE THE SMOKE - PUT CIGS AWAY TILL I GOT BETTER AND I NEVER WENT BACK TO THEM -HOWEVER, I DID KEEP MY LAST UNOPENED PACK FOR ABOUT FOUR YEARS BEFORE I TOSSED IT. GOOD LUCK!
Yes, I have quit. You just don-t allow yourself to smoke. You just don-t do it anymore. You can do it with Gods help. Just keep telling yourself, I am better than this, smoking stinks, it-s expensive, it-s unhealthy, - I will not do it anymore.

I quit 21 yrs. ago. By the way that was on December 11, 1985. I just got up one morning smoking 3 cigs before I even got out of bed - decided, that-s it, I quit! I still have the urge though and I know if I ever smoke even one, I-ll be hooked again. I-m 47 now.

Tip: Best way to quit is -Cold Turkey.- Forget all the patches - all that other crap, just do it.

Paul
Stopping smoking can be very difficult.
Its not just the nicotine. Its also the other 50+ chemicals they out in cigarettes. Also the main problem is habit.
We have been used to having body sensations which we translate as -my body needs something, which we have attempted to satisfy by having a cigarette.
When we try to stop smoking, we still get these -my body needs something- sensations, and we still feel that we want a cigarette. We have to train our body to be more selective. When we feel we need something, we have to work out what it is that we actually need.
A glass of water is an excellent substitute if nothing else comes to mind, as it helps with the clearance of the toxic substances in our body. Another good substitute is a bag of salted peanuts, used in combination with the water.
Another thing to do is to find an activity which occupies the mind or body. Go swimming - nobody wants to smoke while they are swimming. Slowly, as our body adjusts and translates the -want something- feelings into something other than cigarettes, then the feelings begin to go away. We know its not a cigarette that the body really needs, because as soon as we-ve had one we still have the feeling, and want another!
I have been smoking 33 years and quitting for 30 good luck try gum hypnotism drawing on a straw whatever crutch you may need to beat it good luck.My grand mother quit by becomming very religious but dies of thyroid cancer after beating breast cancer.
I quit. Like you, I started in my early teens, and by the time I was in my mid to late 20s, I wanted to quit. I used gum, not the kind for smokers, just regular sugar-free gum, and I kept it in my mouth all the time. My biggest problem was at bars. I basically had to stop going. It really took me about 3 years from the time I made up my mind. I made myself cut back to 2 cigarettes a day, and I did that for about a year, then I-d smoke only on the weekends, 2 a day, then finally, I ended up smoking only occassionally the last year, maybe twice a month, until it finally started disgusting me to smell it.

I feel for you because it-s an aweful addiction. Fortunately, the physical addition ends in only 3-4 days cold turkey; it-s the psychological part that-s so hard. Good luck. You CAN do this.
Try organic cocoa beans in a banana smoothie.

It worked for my roommate who smoked for twenty-five years. He has not smoked tobacco in over a year.

Of course he was hooked on the smoothies for a few months. (But that might be because of all the pot he smokes.)

Good Health to You,

P.S. I just saw a site for laser therapy to stop smoking, very interesting. Freedom Laser Therapy...
Has anyone successfully quit smoking cigarettes after smoking for a long time? -