Have you tried to quit smoking hundreds of times? -

Monday, October 9, 2006

Have you tried to quit smoking hundreds of times? -


Did you finally succeed? How-d you do it? What was different about the last time?
I wouldn-t say that I tried to quit 100-s of times, but I did give it a very good shot several times. The first time I went to a program call Smoke Enders. It was very good and I quit smoking for about six months. But I let stresses get the better of me and picked up the cigarettes again.

Then a couple years later I tried Wellbutrin and that never worked at all for me. Then I tried the patch and that was worthless. I also tried the gum, but that didn-t work either, the taste was so bad, I lit a cigarette to get rid of the taste.

One morning I woke up and said to myself I really want to quit smoking, I had been limiting my cigarettes up to this point to less than a pack a day for several years. I always just bought a pack, and if I ran out by 3 PM that was it for the day until the next morning on the way to work I would pick up my daily pack.

Anyway, that morning I decided that I was going to quit smoking. That was over seven years ago, and I have not had a cigarette since then. Oh I will admit there have been times when I have really had cravings, but I never gave into temptation. I used breathing and changing my focus, but I did it.

I am a college graduate and of all the things I have accomplished in my life time, I am the most proud of having quit smoking because I can honestly say up until I was mentally prepared to do so, it was the most difficult thing I have ever done.

If you are thinking of quiting, you won-t be successful with any program until you are mentally prepared to quit. Good luck and God Bless.

Edit: You ask what was different the actual commitment and being mentally ready to do so. Doing it for the right reason, me not because of society.
i-ve never dedicated my life to smokes
No.
I had tried to quit because I knew I should but I didn-t actually want to, I really kind of liked it. I had my coffee routine, driving to work routine, hanging out in the evening routine and of course the cocktail routine...and they all centered around smoking. I started realizing some negatives comments were coming my way...you smell like cigarettes, I bet you don-t exercise, your whole house stinks. So I went to an acupuncturist, and then a herbalist, and then a hypnotist...nothing worked. And then there was this gal at work who-d been trying to get pregnant and while joining us at the smokers door said she-d quit when she conceived. Well she didn-t quit, and I watched her belly grow while she stood there smoking with us day after day. See I-d always said I-d quit when I got pregnant too...and it scared me that maybe I-d choose to put smoking above my baby-s health, then it occurred to me I-d already put it above my own. I kid you not the very next morning I got up and never smoked again, no planning at all, I just did it. That was seventeen years ago.
I did man, must have been 20 or 30 times. Turns out, I didnt smoke. So I figured, hey, to quit I need to start right?...Now I-m hooked.
Have you tried to quit smoking hundreds of times? -