I just recently quit smoking, I am having shortness of breath, is this from quitting smoking,? chest xray cler? -

Wednesday, October 4, 2006

I just recently quit smoking, I am having shortness of breath, is this from quitting smoking,? chest xray cler? -


I had a chest xray and it was clear
If your chest xrays were clear I wouldn-t worry. Get checked for asthma.
Tex and Unpretty are right. Tobacco smoke paralyzes the cilia lining the airways, making them inefficient at pushing mucus, dead cells, carbon particles from pollution - smoking and microorganisms out of the lungs as nature intended.
When you stop smoking, these cilia begin to repair themselves and clear out years of gunk. Unfortunately, many people use this as an excuse to smoke again, e.g. -I felt worse when I quit-, so I-m glad you asked. This should subside in about 6 months, getting progressively better all the time. If not, then you may want to have pulmonary function tests to see if you have mild COPD or asthma.
I know it-s very hard to quit-you can be proud. Best of luck to you.
The human body is conditioned for certain repeated actions. since while smoking you in hale air and smoke with certain force this is missed when you quit smoking.
this is the cause of feeling breethlessnessin the early stages when you quit smoking.
The body will require some time to adjust.
So do not revert back to smoking.
Yes, quitting smoking will cause shortness of breath. Your lungs are trying to clear themselves of the toxins from the carcinogens that are in cigarettes. Your lungs are basically feeling tight because they are overworking to regenerate cells and -fix- any damage that smoking did to your lungs. This is how my doctor explained this to me when I quit for about a year eight years ago. That-s one of the biggest reasons I wish I had never started back up...I want to quit again, but remember that feeling. It was almost like a panic attack, and that coupled with the other physical symptoms...blah! It won-t last a long time...I believe it was about two weeks for me, but depending on the amount of time you smoked, it might be more or less.

I commend you on quitting and hope things go great for you! :)
Smoking has been known to cause emphysema which can cause shortness of breath. Yes, it can be attributed to quitting the habit. I should know, I suffered from the shortness of breath but eventually, my lungs cleared up.

Its also a natural reaction to the quitting. You-ll have itchy throat, as this is the body -cleaning- itself from all the nicotine intake you-ve been doing. Congratulations, and I hope you keep this up .. its a good choice .. it will bring your healthy results.

pack plenty of gums ... the urge to light one is still strong at this point, and when it does, the chewing gum comes in handy .. keeping the mouth busy and your mind away from sticking a cigarette into your mouth ..

clear chest e-ray? good for you so don-t ruin it.
Its probably from quitting. Whenever I got pregnant I quit smoking and I was always short of breath and had headaches. And I picked up smoking again now that my daughter is 16 months old (I-m trying to quit again) and I get shortness of breath if I don-t have a cigarette. I wouldn-t really worry too much about it.
It takes a couple of years for your lungs to repair the damage caused by smoking and to rid them of all the gunk that has built up.It is a normal process but takes time
cigarette is harmful for the lungs and it is illogic to say that you are getting SOB because of quitting it. it can be that you have got asthma or pneumonitis, better to contact a doctor
I just recently quit smoking, I am having shortness of breath, is this from quitting smoking,? chest xray cler? -