What is the best way to quit smoking cold turkey? -

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

What is the best way to quit smoking cold turkey? -


1. Don-t get rid of your cigarettes - if you-re quitting only because you don-t have any available then you haven-t really beaten the addiction. I quit several times when I got rid of all my cigarettes, only to start back at a weak moment when I had the chance to get more. The last time I quit with half a pack still in the house... and they are still in the house to this day, over 4 years later. Talk about some stale smokes!

2. Focus on how enslaved you are to the habit. Get ANGRY at how the addiction negatively affects your life, and get resolved to break this addiction and release the hold it has over you.

3. Stay BUSY. I went through my house cleaning everything with bleach. It kept me busy AND got the smoke smell out of the house.

4. Change your routine. If you smoke in the car, take different routes for awhile. If you smoke after eating, start eating at a different place. If you smoke at the computer, stay off the computer or move it to a different place.

The chemical addiction is actually the easy part to break. The hard part is the mental addiction / habit. I found I had so many -triggers- that made me want to smoke. Recognize the triggers and deal with them one at a time. Always remember that every craving and every hour you don-t smoke makes it that much easier. It DOES get easier, and before you know it you will be repulsed by the smell of it. Good luck! You can do this!
Don-t buy anymore cigarettes.
i smoke and my bf smoked for years but he quit 2 months ago cold turkey i being selfish person that i am cant help but to smoke around him at times on accident but thank god he didnt relapse he usually sucks on something or chews gum sometimes walks around with a toothpick in his mouth if your trying to quit i say good luck and hope this helps!
LOL, well cold turkey means COLD TURKEY, no help or substitutes at all. Just stop, don-t buy cigarettes. If what you are asking is how to cope after stopping cold turkey, I can-t help you I am a smoker myself.
look at xrays of the lungs of smokers and people who has cancer. then try to stop buying cigarettes or any type of tobacco products. Stay away from people who smoke, because second hand smoke will kill you also.......
To quit smoking cold turkey, first of all you really need to really want to quit and secondly, you need to stay away from other smokers. Being around people that smoke makes it nearly impossible. Lastly, keep your mind and body occupied on anything but smoking.
pretend you are smoking pretzel sticks. it-ll keep the tendency to want to smoke in check (and it-s cheaper)
I smoked for 28+/- years. I have been nicotine free for almost 11 yrs( Dec, 1). After attempting with many methods, I took a week and cut out the automatic cigarettes. That was the first one in the morning with my coffee, the one right after a meal or sex, the one I always lit up when I got in my truck when going somewhere, and the last one just before bed. I set the date when I was going to quit and then I told myself every time I craved a cigarette, - Don, you really love smoking and it has been such a big part of your life, but let-s not smoke one now.- I did that every time I craved a cigarette, and then would focus my attention on the task at hand. If I was not working or doing something I would focus on some goal or a good time in my life, and the craving would pass. Each time it became easier, and suddenly one day I realized that it was mid-afternoon I I had not even thought about a cigarette all day.
serve your turkey on christmas eve and give your cigarettes to your visitors. hehehe
Don-t buy any more ciggs and don-t be around people who smoke!!!!! It-s not easy but good luck!!!!!!!!!!!
Different people have different ways of quitting, you just have to try it first to find out. However, not many people could do it cold turkey. There will be acute withdrawal symptoms depending on your level of addiction. IF you do not succeed, I suggest an alternative, use postponing method. It works for most of my friends. Smoking is based on addiction AND habit. This method will be more effective as the withdrawal lessens as you slowly changed your habit. eg. if you smoke 20 sticks a day on every hour. the first week start smoking at 9 am instead of 8am. week by week progress and postpone hour by hour. 10am, 11 am 12 noon etc... your body will adjust to the timing. Initially, treat it as a challenge soon you will find that there is no urge to smoke in the morning, than afternoon and soon you will give up after having the last week of night puff. hope it helps you.
What is the best way to quit smoking cold turkey? -