Anyone successfully quit smoking cigarettes? what helped motivate you to go through with it? 10pts? -

Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Anyone successfully quit smoking cigarettes? what helped motivate you to go through with it? 10pts? -


or if you know anyone who did.
My friend gave up smoking almost accidentally, she read Alan Carr-s -Easy Way- book that she found lying around at her sisters and just never wanted to smoke again!

I read it too and -really- made me want to quit but wasn-t quite enough to make me do it. Whenever I tried to quit, I would hear the little voice in the back of my head telling me to smoke... and once it started, I couldn-t stop thinking about cigarettes until I had one. Drove me mad!

In the end I went to a hypnotherapist, it cost me about AU$200 but was totally worth it. It made that little voice in the back of my head just shut up... so I never waivered. I didn-t have to use any will power, I could still hang out with my friends who were smokers, it was wonderful.

Hypnotherapy only works if you really want to quit, as it is not magic, just helps align your conscious and subconscious desires. I really wanted to quit because I wanted children... As long as you really want to quit it can really help you.

You CAN DO IT! Even if you fail a few times, keep going! You-ll never be a non-smoker like someone who has never tried it, but an ex-smoker can still have a long and healthy life :)
My motivation to quit was my son and his constant requests for me to quit ( he is 10). It still took me several attempts, you still need a solid method and a change of attitude towards smoking before you can successfully quit without future temptation.
I had a sore that wouldn-t heal.I recommend cutting down gradually until your quit date. I did this. I cut down to half a pack. I did this for three months. I smoked by the puff, not by the cigarette. I took only the amount of nicotine that was necessary to satisfy my urge to smoke and put the rest of the cigarette out.

After doing this for three months I quit cold turkey.

Now I-m eating more candy to distract me but its been 4 months. I have urges but they don-t last more than a second or two. If they-re lasting more than that then you-re concentrating on the cigarette. Don-t do it. Concentrate on something else.
Nicotine Anonymous is a Non-Profit 12 Step Fellowship of men and women helping each other live nicotine-free lives. Nicotine Anonymous welcomes all those seeking freedom from nicotine addiction, including those using cessation programs and nicotine withdrawal aids. The primary purpose of Nicotine Anonymous is to help all those who would like to cease using tobacco and nicotine products in any form. The Fellowship offers group support and recovery using the 12 Steps as adapted from Alcoholics Anonymous to achieve abstinence from nicotine.
My asthma was quite severe and uncontrollable when I was smoking.

So one day, I just decided to quit cold turkey andnever look back nor regretted it. Now I can smell better. My hair and clothes don-t reek of cigarette smells. I burned a few holes in my clothes.
My husband quit after our son started to pretend that he was smoking toothpicks. We asked him why he was doing that and he said that he wanted to be like his dad. That next day I made an appointment with our family doctor and my husband got a prescription for chantax, he has been smoke free for almost 3 months now and my son has not smoked a toothpick since. :)
My cousin showed me a picture of lungs of a newborn and those of a smoker,that scared me away,and I play the saxophone so in order for me to be able to play properly I need healthy lungs...
i gave up for my kids, i coudnt see them breathe in my smoke and suffer so that gave me the determination to quit.

you need to find something worth quitting for if you want to stand a chance. xx good luck
Yes. When your nan and mum (both heavy smokers) get lung cancer and die it motivates you to give up, for the sake of your family if anything.
Anyone successfully quit smoking cigarettes? what helped motivate you to go through with it? 10pts? -