Looking for people that quit smoking after 20 plus years? -

Sunday, May 25, 2008

Looking for people that quit smoking after 20 plus years? -


What physical symptoms should I expect when I finally quit? I-ve smoked for 20 years this year.
I smoked for 11 years VERY heavily (Marb Reds). I have been without a cigarette for 2 ? months now. After the first 48 hours you will feel really light headed. The reason you feel so light headed is because your body isn’t used to getting that much oxygen… So that is really a good thing. Using the commit lozenge is very helpful if you feel nicotine withdrawals.

The easiest way to quit and the ONLY way that worked for me was to use commit for 2 months… about 8 lozenges a day. I took the 4 MG ones. That is the strongest dosage available over-the-counter. Get the 4 MG ones if you smoke your first cigarette within a half an hour of waking up. They also offer a 2 MG Commit Lozenge but it seems like the 2 MG ones break up too easily in your mouth. The 4 MG ones stay solid in your mouth. I prefer the Mint ones. If you have a sweet tooth then go for cherry. Be carefull tho. Somtimes they will leave white powder on you mouth that could be embarissing if you-re not paying attention. Just lick your lips from time to time. At first the lozenge will burn your mouth but… you will cry for joy when you feel the nicotine going through your body and killing your urge to smoke.

WARNING!!!! When you decide to quit. Be prepared. You will go through phases where you want to smoke severely. You will become VERY irritated.

How to get through the Addiction Fits.

Some times something you will be doing will trigger the natural smoker reaction you have to get up and go outside and smoke…. Or maybe you smoke inside…. But the key to staying off of cigarettes is to simply survive without one through these nicotine fits. When you have a nicotine fit simply DON’T give in. Jogging helped a lot for me. Pop a lozenge in and fight the urge. Make sure to throw away all of your cigarettes. There were times I KNOW I would have given in if they would have been on hand. Just know that the Nicotine fit will pass over time. Sometimes it feels like they wont but they will ALL eventually pass. It is allong the same lines as when you have an itch. if you don-t scrath it it will irritate you for quite a while, but it will eventually pass.

Another symptom you will start to feel is relief. When I used to smoke all I could think about was dying. When you quit you will feel alive again and all of your nervous habits will relax. You will feel human again and won-t be full of fear!

To be honest when I look in the mirror now I look so much better. I can tell that i look better by the way the girl react to me.

Another thing that helps is to tell your family. They can help support you. I know my girlfriend supports me 1000%.

My throat used to be constantly in pain from smoking. It almost felt like I had throat cancer and my breath smelt so bad I constantly had to chew gum. ... Now 2 months later my throat feels completly healed and my breath is totally healed as well.

Take it from me. 2 months ago I literally couldn’t walk up 2 flights of stairs without being so out of breath I had to breathe through my mouth. 2 months later….. 0 cigarettes; and I feel so much better. Jogging has raised my cardio back up to where I feel human again….

Be prepared tho….. You will get hungry again. Try switching to diet rite soda, and snack on veggies, take a multi-vitamin too. You are going to feel TIRED. For one, your body is going to go into a healing cycle for probably the next full year and without all the nicotine in your body lifting your energy levels you will want to sleep more…. But hey that is a good thing.

Please have fun quitting. It will probably be the hardest thing you will every face in your lifetime…. But know there are others out there that are standing with you…. I am for one.

I used to be affraid that if I quit, somehow they would outlaw cigarettes and I wouldn-t get to have one again if I ever -change my mind- . Don-t worry about that. The only thing in life that is irriplacable is your body. I started smoking when I was way too young. 14!~ Please stay positive.

Oh and one more thing. I haven-t gone to church in years but I found that praying and begging to God did help.


GOOD LUCK!
I have been smoking for the past 31 years, and have been thinking seriously about quitting for years. You already know its a terriable addiction and the damage it is doing to your lungs, so I don-t have to stress that point. Recently I decided to start buying those little cigarette filters, they are clear and catch the tar and nicotine your Filter does not catch. Honestly after looking at that nasty sticky brownish yellow stuff that this filter catches and realising all the years that stuff was being swallowed and going to my Lungs and other body parts, it will do a Mental job on you for sure. I am slowing down on my Smoking now and when I do smoke it is never without a filter tip on it now. I am hoping that once I can break the Nicotine addiction, I can break this bad habit.. Good Luck
I ggt bad stomach cramps the first night. Better to quit in the pm, then go to bed early, then it gives you more hours without nicotine without the pain.
Looking for people that quit smoking after 20 plus years? -