What is the best way to quit smoking? -

Tuesday, May 6, 2008

What is the best way to quit smoking? -


I haven-t smoked in two days but starting to get the cravings. I-m not even sure if I want to quit permanently. Maybe I just want to take a -break-.
They say after two days, the craving is all in your head, and
it-s only psychological. The hardest part is the withdrawl your
body goes through in the first 24hours. Aside from that text-
book info., I-ll advise you, here and now, to take a permanent
break from smoking. For two reasons, later on, they will be
harder if not seemingly impossible to lay down. And second,
if a doctor one day tells you that you have to quit due to
some malfunction in breathing, you will be able to put them
down. The longer you smoke the harder it is to quit. I was
a smoker for all of my adult life. I quit several times but
stress usually brought me back to smoking again. I had
a boyfriend get me started in highschool and it was cool
to be among those kids that did smoke. But I hid it from
my parents and succeeded til I was able to quit them.
I restarted when I started working after highschool, but I
never smoked at home. Only on work breaks. Then that
changed to becoming hooked and I smoked steadily.
Then when my daughter had a child, I became his care
giver and she didn-t want me smoking around the baby. I
quit again for four years, and then picked up the habit
one more time. Four years ago, I had to quit for good. It
affected the way I breathed. And I had developed Asthma,
and a heart condition. Quitting smoking the last time was
the hardest thing I-ve had to do as I still crave them once in
awhile. I hear most people do. They have ingredients that
make them more habit forming now, and it-s so easy to
become hooked after just a drag or two. You can-t just have
one and leave them alone. They aren-t made to -work- that
way. I had to make the choice of whether I wanted an early
grave by trying to inhale to smoke and enjoy it, or breathe
and put up with the withdrawls. Well I chose to breathe, as I
didn-t want to die. It came down to that fact. So I-ve been
a non smoker for about five years. And now I-m hooked on
the Nicorette gum. But my doctor would rather me be on
that for stress, than cigs that have tar that coats the lungs
and shortens lives. I have to wean myself off of the gum
next, since it-s been really too long. But they serve as a
buffer to stress, and I still -need- them.
So please take my advise, it isn-t cool to smoke. It is down-
right dumb. I know only -losers- smoke, from first hand
experience. As you will be a loser too, if your life is taken
away. Tough love, kiddo, but true to life!
I hope you can get on a nicotine withdrawl program, or more
aptly called, Smoking Cessation.
Please give me some feedback a month from now and let
me know how you-re doing about not smoking. I hope for your
sake, you won-t pick up another.


Report Abuse



Put the cigarette down! It-s not that hard!
1st - don-t by any smokes.
2nd - do your best to keep out of situations where you know you used to smoke - such as if drinking your more likely to smoke, you might want to stay away from social drinks until you know it won-t make you want a drink.

for added help, patches or gum is a good help. Good luck with the quiting. But don-t get discouraged if you don-t succeed the 1st time, next time try to go longer without a smoke.
Research all the health hazards smoking has on the human body. If thats not enough i dunno I-m not a smoker.
JUST SAY NO !!!
the best way to stop smoking is to not light up
to stop smoking just when you feel like smoking go out and distract your self. try to work out or clean around the house just do some activity to stop smoking, smoking is bad trust me you will feel so better and stronger if you stop smoking the cancer sticks...
Trust me you do want to quit forever. I quit after 20 something years and it is the best thing I ever did for myself. I just quit no patches or anything.

It was not easy by any means when I got really aggravated in the evenings I would just go to bed knowing that the next day would bring me a little bit closer to being smoke free and it worked it is going on 10 years and I do not miss it one bit and I have lots more money whooo hooo.
I say everyday you make it without a smoke reward yourself buy yourself a treat. Good luck it is so worth it!!
i don-t smoke, but i know every single smoker i talk to wishes they could quit. It kills taste buds, can cause cancer obviously, makes car and house stink and dirty. I heard you can suck on a prune pitt to help cravings, i think it will work, maybe just suck on prunes, taste good to me, just like big raisins, good luck
The best thing that worked for me was the patch. I did all the steps and am now smoke free. Its very hard to do it cold turkey. you should be proud of yourself! Oh and for headaches..take some Tylenol or some pain pill. that really helped me when i quit. Whatever you choose, best of luck and while its not easy, you can do it. your lungs and body will thank you for it! I forgot to add that while the patch is not real cheap, just remember how much a pack of cigs cost nowadays
you should quit smoking for your healthy. if you want to quit smoking, try have some candy (especially mint or clove taste).

hope it works.
Hm.. thats a tough question.
Quitting takes a lot of will power.
I say getting professional help
Would be the first step towards
Kicking the addiction. I for one do
Smoke, but only 3 cigs a month.

Hm.. If you really want to quit, start
Smoking less, instead of giving it
Up quickly, because you already
Now its just a matter of time before
You start again. Just keep it under
1 pack a month, space out the cigs
Throughout your week.
Call for quit smoking campaign, around you ?
cold turkey.
The best way to quit is to think that u r wasting your life just to look cool. think!!!! do u want to die in your early 30-s?
Just tell yourself the next cigarette I light up is the one that will start the cancer that is just waiting for the right stimulant to set it off.
It-s all in the if you want to quit, everytime you think about it do something that takes up your time in the thinking department. I quit because i wanted to, and did things that preoccupied me. I have been smoke free for 4 years. It-s all if you want to quit!
Visit people in the hospital who are dying of lung cancer. I don-t mean just look at them, but really get to know them. When you observe life being wasted, your own outlook will be different.
Apparently accupuncture I know 2 ppl personally who quit that way! My mom is one of them.
first of all I believe you have to really want to quit, I know it sounds silly but I am also trying to quit smoking and I am finding that my want to give up is still not as strong as my need to give up.The best way I have found to take away the cravings is to go onto Nicotine Patches and if you do a course on these(usually 2-3mths) then you will just have to learn how to live without smoking.It is very hard to quit but dont beat yourself up if you have a slip just try again.
There is not much that I can tell you about that situation. I have tried to quit muliple times and I still can-t kick the habit. The patvh aaaaaaaand the gum is way to expensive for my pockets. Whem you find out the best way to quit Let me know:}
cold turkey baby! you go girl!
Call the Quitline and join a Quit Smoking Clinic.

http://www.quitnet.com


That site helped me big time when I quit. Its free so dont worry. It will give you facts, tips, support... everything you need to quit and stay quit. Take at least a half hour to look over the site.

Good luck!

(ps: I used the patch)
The List of ways:
1. Put it down
2. Dont smoke?
3. Quite your job... no money for cigarettes
4. Sex can wait, masturbate
5. Chewing tobacco
6. Doing drugs.... without smoking....
7. Buy those cigarettes from the magic shop... that you dont smoke...
8.Do you really want to look like a leather jacket?
9. Do it for the earth....
10. Its already illegal in most bards/restaurant...
use nicotine trust me it works

help my question too please


http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?…
What is the best way to quit smoking? -