Former smokers: what is the best way for me to be supportive when my bf quits smoking? -

Monday, September 21, 2009

Former smokers: what is the best way for me to be supportive when my bf quits smoking? -


Right now he just talks about quitting smoking a lot. What can I do to help him really quit at this point? Later on, when he actually quits or cuts back, what can I do? He has been smoking a long time and I really want to help him stop.
Phillip Morris has a great link on their website (Quit Assist) to help those who are trying to quit smoking. It is full of clips from former smokers, and tips they used to help quit. I used that to help me. It was motivating to see all of the people who quit before me, and to see their success! One tip I applied to my endeavor was substitution. If I felt I needed a cigarette, I would just eat as much candy as I wanted to. I allowed myself to pick a candy and gorge on it for 2 weeks whenever I felt I needed a cigarette. Only for 2 weeks though. Post-smoking weight gain is a real struggle. I did not gain any weight after I quit smoking, thankfully! I drank a lot of water, and ate my candy, but that was it. I noticed after a week or so, I wasn-t eating as much candy as usual. Then after my two weeks were up, I stopped buying the candy too. It worked! Next month hubby and I celebrate our one year anniversary of being Smoke Free!

I also had a mantra! NOPE = Not One Puff Ever

And this is the smoking cessation timeline! it says what your body is going through since your last puff! it helped me stay motivated! I couldn-t wait to meet each milestone!!!

Smoking cessation timeline - the health benefits over time
A smoking-related death occurs somewhere in the world every 8 seconds
?In 20 minutes, your blood pressure and pulse rate decrease, and the body temperature of your hands and feet increase.
?Carbon monoxide in cigarette smoke reduces the blood’s ability to carry oxygen. At 8 hours, the carbon monoxide level in your blood decreases to normal. With the decrease in carbon monoxide, your blood oxygen level increases to normal.
?At 24 hours, your risk of having a heart attack decreases.
?At 48 hours, nerve endings start to re-grow and the ability to smell and taste is enhanced.
?Between 2 weeks and 3 months, your circulation improves, walking becomes easier and you don’t cough or wheeze as often. Phlegm production decreases. Within several months, you have significant improvement in lung function.
?In 1 to 9 months, coughs, sinus congestion, fatigue and shortness of breath decrease as you continue to see significant improvement in lung function. Cilia, tiny hair-like structures that move mucus out of the lungs, regain normal function.
?In 1 year, risk of coronary heart disease and heart attack is reduced to half that of a smoker.
?Between 5 and 15 years after quitting, your risk of having a stroke returns to that of a non-smoker.
?In 10 years, your risk of lung cancer drops. Additionally, your risk of cancer of the mouth, throat, esophagus, bladder, kidney and pancreas decrease. Even after a decade of not smoking however, your risk of lung cancer remains higher than in people who have never smoked. Your risk of ulcer also decreases.
?In 15 years, your risk of coronary heart disease and heart attack in similar to that of people who have never smoked. The risk of death returns to nearly the level of a non-smoker.
The best way for you to help ... is to relax and realize his mood may get nasty for about 10 days . He will be easily frustrated and easily angered . You must realize it-s about withdrawal ,not about you .If you want to help , just deal with it . let him be angry and short tempered don-t get into his s**t .
After about 10 days .. the physical withdrawal ends and he-ll have to deal with the psychological problems associated with staying away from cigarettes .
I found one problem particularly annoying . It was feeling that I could have one smoke when I was with my friends and it wouldn-t matter . WRONG ... It-s like alcohol , smoke one and it will suck you back in slowly .. So once he gets past that initial ten day withdrawal be sure he stays away from smoking COMPLETELY.
I went through hell trying to quit ... It took me 2 years after i had developed COPD with emphysema and chronic bronchitis . Finally with hypnotherapy I was able to quit . Good luck , it-s a truly hard addiction to break .. but it will be worth it. I beat the demon after 46 years of smoking ... he can do it while he still has his health.
Nothing really except be tolerant of some cranky-ness and have snacks on hand. A smoker can only quit when they are ready. When I quit I didn-t tell anybody about my plan to because I didn-t want anyone looking over my shoulder or having the feeling that I-d let anyone down if I couldn-t quit.

The first 3 days are the hardest. After a week or two I started to feel the benefits of not smoking. I felt clear and clean and food tastes SO good. I found a smoking cessation website about the withdrawal process and it was cool to read how over time my body was cleansing itself and letting go of the nicotine addiction. I also cleaned my car really good to get the smoke smell out and all the cigarette ashes that collect in the cracks. Maybe those things would be helpful to him also.
i smoked for over 30 yrs...i also smoke 3 packs a day..(seriously)..i started on the patch..its a 3 step process..i didnt get past the first step and i never lit a cig sense...that was 11 years ago...just watch out for a few temper fits...
get him nicotine gum and patch.
Former smokers: what is the best way for me to be supportive when my bf quits smoking? -