Has anyone quit smoking and had horrible leg cramps due to nicotine withdrawal? -

Saturday, September 5, 2009

Has anyone quit smoking and had horrible leg cramps due to nicotine withdrawal? -


I smoked for almost 10 years and now that I-m trying to quit, I keep getting restless, painful leg cramps/aches. I chew nicorette when it starts up, but this only seems to help for a little while. Any thots? How long does this usually last? Does it ever go away?
See a doctor immediately, I stopped smoking 12 years ago and started with the same symptoms. a large patch of discoloured skin appeared on my left leg. It was diagnosed as Berger-s Disease, a circulatory problem caused by nicotine. I will lose my left leg below the knee within 5 years and my right leg within 10. I am sorry to bring such misery and despair onto the site but it is best you know before it gets worse. good luck
I quit smoking 3 days ago and the nighttime leg cramps started the first night! I assumed the 2 events were related, but couldn-t figure out how. Now I have been reading other people on different sites are having the same problem. What-s going on? What-s the physiology behind this?


Report Abuse



Physical withdrawal from nicotine is temporary, but it can be uncomfortable while it lasts. -Quitter-s flu- is a term used to describe this phase of smoking cessation because nicotine withdrawal symptoms often mimic a cold or a mild case of the flu. Understanding what to expect when you quit smoking and following the tips provided here for coping will help you move through this stage more easily.

The following list contains commonly reported symptoms of nicotine withdrawal. Most people experience some of these, but rarely all of them. Each person goes through this phase of recovery from nicotine addiction a little differently. But for most people, these discomforts are short-lived. Check with your doctor if you-re concerned about a physical reaction you-re having to smoking cessation, or if nicotine withdrawal symptoms persist.
Nicotine Withdrawal Symptoms

* Cravings to smoke
* Irritable, cranky
* Insomnia
* Fatigue
* Inability to Concentrate
* Headache
* Cough
* Sore throat
* Constipation, gas, stomach pain
* Dry mouth
* Sore tongue and/or gums
* Postnasal drip
* Tightness in the chest
Has anyone quit smoking and had horrible leg cramps due to nicotine withdrawal? -