What is the best way to quit smoking? -

Monday, July 9, 2018

What is the best way to quit smoking? -


Obviously anyone would say quit right now and don-t look back but for anyone who has been addicted they would know that it is not that easy. So please, someone who has actually been addicted and quit, what is the best way to do it with their sanity still intact? Should someone slowly cut back, quickly cut back, or really go nuts and quit overnight? Any advice would be really appreciated.
Hi Molly..

wow you got that right..nicotine is one of the most addictive substances known to man, and folks say walk away.. don-t they think we have tried that!!!

you didn-t tell a whole about your smoking history.. but you don-t have to, if you really want to quit.. there are any number of ways to quit, and all are successful for some.. you might first of all, try calling 1-800-quit-now.. they can often help you with advise, as well as often with patches etc..

I smoked for over 40 years, and tried most of the means available to quit, patches, pills, and numerous aids from health food stores.. none of that stuff worked for me when i tried it alone..

the good news is that as i type this response, i have been free from nicotine for over 5 years now.. actually that-s because of 2 reasons.. 1, simply didn-t quit quitting... and 2 ,I stopped trying to quit alone.. while there is really no wrong way to quit, statistics show that participating in a support group, can greatly improve your chances of success

I am a member of Nicotine Anonymous, and attend meetings both locally, and on line... on line meetings are as close as your computer, and your welcome to attend before attempting a quit.. however you decide to quit good luck, there is Truly no wrong way to quit..


Nicotine Anonymous is a Non-Profit 12 Step Fellowship of men and women helping each other live nicotine-free lives. Nicotine Anonymous welcomes all those seeking freedom from nicotine addiction, including those using cessation programs and nicotine withdrawal aids. The primary purpose of Nicotine Anonymous is to help all those who would like to cease using tobacco and nicotine products in any form. The Fellowship offers group support and recovery using the 12 Steps as adapted from Alcoholics Anonymous to achieve abstinence from nicotine.
Hello,

Due to the unpleasantness of the withdrawal symptoms, many people who try to quit smoking end up replacing the cigarettes with some other type of addiction. This may be an addiction to prescription medication, such as sleeping tablets or tranquilizers, or an addiction to food. While you will definitely experience the health benefits of giving up nicotine, no one wants to replace one addiction with another!

A healthy diet, adequate exercise as well as natural and holistic treatments such as acupuncture, massage and herbal and homeopathic remedies can also help the smoker overcome nicotine addiction. Herbal and homeopathic treatments are a safe and effective means to reduce nicotine cravings (without giving you more nicotine) and will also help to prevent weight gain and alleviate anxiety and irritability. Basically, natural and holistic treatments not only lessen the urge to smoke, but also help you to restore balance in your body.

There are a number of ingredients such as Avena sativa, Garcinia cambogia and Gotu Cola (Centella asiatica) which will help to address the symptoms of nicotine withdrawal. They reduce nicotine cravings and balance the mood.

Also, During stressful situations when you really need to blow off steam, squeeze a stress ball, have a work-out at the gym, go running, listen to loud music or phone a friend who can offer support
Sometimes something personal needs to happen. I smoked for many years and then I quit once for a week and said, -well, it is good to know I can quit if I want to!- I then immediately started smoking again. Then, back on 8/9/08, I found out someone I knew (who wasn-t a smoker, but hung out with smokers) had lung cancer. The fact that I was harming those around me impacted me more than just knowing it was bad for ME. So, I quit on the morning of 8/10/08. I used 8/9 to smoke the last cigs I had (I didn-t go out and buy new ones, but I did finish my pack). I haven-t smoked since and I turned to excersise as my new vice:). So, think about how not smoking is going to have a positve impact on your whole life, not just your health. Maybe that will help.
Molly, when your quitting smoking you have to realize you-re quitting a nicotine and caffeine addiction, so when you-re quitting cigs, you can definitely drink more coffee, because it helps a lot.

Some other tips from a smoke quitter:

lozenges are easier to use than the gum, in my experience, and have somewhat better results in studies. Make sure you follow the instructions, if you slack off and your nicotine levels start to drop you-ll go for a cigarette rather than a lozenge.

my uncle tried this and so should you!
1. find a jelly jar (or any little jar) and fill it half way with water
2. put some cigarettes inside the jar
3. shake it up and put the cap on
4. bring it with you everywhere a
5. smell it when you want to smoke
6. keep smelling until the urge goes away (warning: it smells AWFUL)
7. after a while, you won-t even WANT to THINK about smoking
it worked for him, and i really hope it works for you. good luck!!

Also I know a ton of people who tried this product and it told me it works.
http://susanwilder.com/quitsmokingnow

hope this helps.
Well, when I quit, I used the nicotine patch. It still isn-t easy, but it definitely made it tolerable. It was more of the habit of having the smoke than the nicotine that made it hard, so I kept my hands busy, chewed lots of gum, that sort of thing. But there were no with drawl side effects with the patch, which was nice.

Good luck to you!
If you are open to new ideas then maybe look into an electronic cigarette. I-ve smoked for 36 years. I was off of tobacco cigs within days of getting one and am slowly working on reducing my nicotine level until I am nic free. Then I will work on the other issues we smokers have. The hand to mouth or oral fixation... whatever you want to call it..
Anyway its working for me. My last real cigarette was June 17th. I started out with 24mg nicotine liquid and am now reducing from 18mg to 11mg.
It-s putting my addiction in manageable terms for me. No discomfort or stress and I am the one in control.
If you-re interested here-s a forum link with TONS of information literally! LOL

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/

I have hope for the first time in MANY years!
Good Luck
like i said to all new smokers, work out your muscles, girls would go for guys who have guns not sticks in their mouths
What is the best way to quit smoking? -