To quit smoking is cold turkey the best way to do it ? -

Monday, August 17, 2020

To quit smoking is cold turkey the best way to do it ? -


I feel that i can do that
Of course, the -best- way is going to vary by person. I stopped smoking cold turkey so to speak, and people hate me for it :). 4 years ago I bought a new car in early November. At this time I had decided that I did not want my NEW car to reek of cigarette smoke - it was time to give it up. After a decent, but relatively short battle with the physical withdrawal symptoms, I found that it was harder for me to break the habit than the addiction itself. I didn-t stop smoking the day I bought the car - I waited about 2 weeks. Standing in the wind/snow/rain to smoke instead of my car really sucked. Just dying to get to the next location so I could light up sucked too. Anyway, as I was saying, the habit itself was giving me the most trouble. After parking my car in the lot at school, it was just natural for me to pull a smoke out of my pocket for my 10 minute walk to class. The same went for the walk to the car after class and for the 20 minute break that the class took every day. I wanted to go stand with the smokers and socialize and smoke, but I wouldn-t let myself. There were also times when I would be caught off guard. Someone would offer me a smoke or toss me a pack, and I would pull one out and start to light up - not even realizing what I was doing!!!

Either way, I do not smoke anymore. I do suggest having a plan of action in case you somehow have an irrestible urge that you feel you can not fight. One effective thing for my uncle was to eat a candy bar every time he wanted a smoke (40 pounds later). My roommate just went to brush his teeth every time he lit up - kind of hard to smoke and brush your teeth at the same time -it sucks when you confuse the 2-. Okay, well anyway, I say GO FOR IT : ).. Cold turkey, warm turkey, whatever works for you!
It is HARD to do. But yes, it will get you to quit faster than anything else. You will be cranky, won-t sleep, will overeat, be fiddling with things, keep chewing on pencils, etc, and will constantly have the feeling that you want something VERY badly and nothing else will satisfy that craving.

IF (and it-s a big if) you can get through your first month without so much as a whiff of secondhand smoke, the rest is just mental. Your body no longer needs nicotine, and it-s down to breaking bad habits. This can be harder than getting the nicotine out of your system, though, so be prepared to keep yourself busy and distracted from unconsciously grabbing a smoke.

If you fall off the wagon, don-t kick yourself. If you have to, wean yourself down slowly before deciding you have the courage to simply stop. It-s a process, and ANY positive progress is good.
Quitting cold turkey was the only solution that worked for me. I just smoked as much as I could, to really make me understand how much it messed with me, (so much it made me sick) and on my birthday I had my last smoke. That was in Sept. and I haven-t had another since.

The key for me was making it a significant date, like my b-day. This way I am able to count how long it has been. I would suggest choosing a significant date and sticking with that as your last day to smoke. Make sure you don-t have any extra lying around. I made sure they were all gone first,so I wasn-t tempted.
It-s the hardest and the best way to do it. Good luck!
If, like most smokers, cold turkey doesn-t work for you there is a new medication that is specifically for smoking cessation called Chantix. Basically you take a low dose for a week, during which time you can smoke, and you should be able to quit fairly easily after the the 7th day (the same time the dosage will step up). If you slip up it probably won-t harm you (didn-t harm me on New Year-s Eve) although it-s not recommended. It costs about $95 a month, which is roughly the cost of a pack a day (Maybe far less if you-re in some unreasonably taxed state like New York or Illinois). It-s done wonders for me and I-d highly recommend it to anyone who wants to quit.
U mean to smoke cold turkey instead of cigarettes!
Please inform me if u succeed.
Cold turkey the only way to go..I smoked 100 ciggs a day..My daughter developed a dry cough from my smoking..Also give it up for a few days if you can and get close to a smoker and you will think, -did I stink like that- Carry a packet in your top pocket with a few ciggs in it, get the urge just give them a little pat and you will re assure yourself that they are there..Also if your friends smoke and want to know why you havn-t got one in your mouth, or worse still they offer you one, just pat the pack and tell them you just put one out..Good luck if you want to you will.
To quit smoking is cold turkey the best way to do it ? -